BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

1 hour ago, unsall said:

QPR not yet appointed anyone, similar timeframe as Rovers, dingles sacked Dyche, quite a long time ago, still not appointed but looks like Kompany on his way.

If we’d jumped in and got someone in a week they’d be saying too quick, think it’s on course for appointment beginning next week.

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

As is QPR, Burnley and others throughout the leagues. Its not just limited to Ewood

Firstly I'm not sure others dithering about really is the bar we should be aiming for. Bit of a straw man argument that others are doing equally badly. 

Also Burnley in particular is a different kettle of fish. Not knowing what league they would be in till significantly later than is may factor into the delay, as am sure the candidates available and the attractiveness of the position changes depending on this. 

It's also worth saying this isn't our first rodeo when we have had some... issues appointing a manager. It's not a one off struggle. The last 2 appointments have seen some very left field and limited candidates which again makes me a tad reluctant to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Finally managerial search aside, when you consider income, results, the training ground saga, the ground the picture it paints looks pretty grim across the board. Hardly cause for optimism. 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Good chance Critchley will be bookies favourite by close of play today now and people will think its a done deal 😆

Mowbray leaving really has brought a lot of desperate ITK willy waving about, that alone is a key reason I hope we have someone in place by the end of the week (not confident of that mind).

Suppose they'll then move over to the transfer thread though.....roll on the new season.

100%. I think this managerial saga has cemented that nobody knows what is happening!

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

Nothing new bar Ferguson a none starter.

I'm getting ready for the airport, so probably will have nothing to add before an appointment, (wedding anniversary break, and phone ban)

Enjoy mate!

22 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I remember when I was managing juniors in the Central Lancs we needed to win the last two games to win the league.

Prior to these games arguably our best player and the best player in the league, did his hamstring.

We played our penultimate game, and despite him being injured i put him on the bench, which raised plenty of eyebrows.

We were winning 1-0 but was being absolutely battered, it was only a matter of time before they equalised or potentially scored twice for us to lose.

With 20 minutes to go, despite the my player being unable to run or kick a ball, I put him on.

Just the sight of him appearing had the opposition completely change their tactics, they put 3 players on him. By the time their manager had worked out, he could barely move, they'd lost all impotence and we won 2-0, won our final game and were crowned champions.

Managers make tough decisions, in Rovers case we didnt go down because of Huddersfield, the season is over 46 games. We went down because we finished in the relegation zone due to pur own fault

We went down because Brum won that game against a massively weakened side that had nowt to do with the mythical 46 games, always trotted out as a defence.

10 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'm getting ready for the airport, so probably will have nothing to add before an appointment, (wedding anniversary break, and phone ban)

enjoy mate 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Does you wife not know that we've got an important appointment that we need inside info on!? 😉

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

You never know who you might bump into at the airport mate!!

Enjoy the break!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Good football is winning football.

Give me a stoic, well drilled side that grinds out 1-0 wins over nice football that results in nowt. Football is a competitive sport.

We nearly had that last season and it was entertaining in a dramatic all hands to the pump kind of way.

Tired of saying it but these who crave great football need to step up and show us a non Prem/Parachute influenced squad who've 'footballed' their way out of this league.

Styles make fights as they say in boxing, in football we need a style that fits the squad, division, club image and ultimate objective. We had it for half of last season, you can stick possession and fancy interchanges where the sun don't shine.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

@glen9mullan, @Tricky, the answer is standards. Fairness and a level playing field for all has to be the basis of any sporting competition otherwise what's the point.

Just imagine for a moment that Wagner was in bed with some heavyweight gambling syndicate and received mega bucks to get Rovers relegated, would that be acceptable behaviour?  Could you distinguish between those two outcomes, no so they amount to the same thing in my book.

The authorities should have been all over it to ensure fairness in every game but as usual, like the Venky's buy out, they did diddly squat.

I love Rovers for many reasons but one of the most important is that I believe we are an honest and fair Lancastrian family oriented  club who've played with a straight bat since we created the football league. Until Venky's took over I've known most of the people who've owned the club and they've all been decent and would never countenance such behaviour, whatever the circumstances or cost.

Many will feel I'm a dinosaur whose day is past but that's how I feel, win fairly or what's the point. Wagner should be nowhere near our club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We nearly had that last season and it was entertaining in a dramatic all hands to the pump kind of way.

Tired of saying it but these who crave great football need to step up and show us a non Prem/Parachute influenced squad who've 'footballed' their way out of this league.

Styles make fights as they say in boxing, in football we need a style that fits the squad, division, club image and ultimate objective. We had it for half of last season, you can stick possession and fancy interchanges where the sun don't shine.

The last ones that comes to mind were Blackpool/Swansea and latterly Huddersfield, but all of these were via the play offs, which proves your point really.

Carvahal became number 1 target and was offered terms which by all accounts it doesn’t seem like he was too enamoured with and will now be taking a money job elsewhere. Still not totally dead but we would need to come back with a better offer which I don’t think we will. 

I said at the start to keep an eye out on Ferguson for the job, I don’t believe he is as much as a favourite as the bookies are suggesting but there has been talks between his people and ours. I also said that should he arrive here if hope it would be a double team with the more tactically astute unsworth. It’s still not one I would particularly want at this stage albeit I like Ferguson and he ain’t mowbray. 

critchley would be a great appointment for those of you suggesting him, I don’t see us paying a big compensation however. 

farke is the candidate they were waiting to talk to , if that happened I do not know but I would still be surprised if he ended up here as I believe he is looking elsewhere 

manning is another that has been suggested , there has been talks, again they aren’t too keen on compo for him albeit it’s a lot less than critchleys clause. 

those that suggested woodgate, not a million miles away….

certainly more in the running than his current odds, albeit he is behind a few. Not one that I want so hope we get off at the stop before his arrival. 

there has been other names spoken to that I don’t know, I fully believe carvahal was outlined as number 1, that looks to have failed and now going through the next best on the list. I’m still crossing my fingers for a carvahal breakthrough with what we can offer him

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TimmyJimmy said:

@glen9mullan, @Tricky, the answer is standards. Fairness and a level playing field for all has to be the basis of any sporting competition otherwise what's the point.

Just imagine for a moment that Wagner was in bed with some heavyweight gambling syndicate and received mega bucks to get Rovers relegated, would that be acceptable behaviour?  Could you distinguish between those two outcomes, no so they amount to the same thing in my book.

The authorities should have been all over it to ensure fairness in every game but as usual, like the Venky's buy out, they did diddly squat.

I love Rovers for many reasons but one of the most important is that I believe we are an honest and fair Lancastrian family oriented  club who've played with a straight bat since we created the football league. Until Venky's took over I've known most of the people who've owned the club and they've all been decent and would never countenance such behaviour, whatever the circumstances or cost.

Many will feel I'm a dinosaur whose day is past but that's how I feel, win fairly or what's the point. Wagner should be nowhere near our club.

You can distinguish between them though. One involves still wanting (albeit at a much lower priority) to win the game using players that were signed because they thought they could do well for the club. The other scenario is deliberately losing to undermine the fairness of the competition. 

Teams get relegated all the time because their competitors are playing teams that are already on the beach. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

The last ones that comes to mind were Blackpool/Swansea and latterly Huddersfield, but all of these were via the play offs, which proves your point really.

Yes philosophies implemented by managers who are known to play, coach and recruit that way. Compare and contrast to what was going on here and we were always a million miles away because the guy in charge was constantly in 2 minds.

I don't think Wagner would turn our lot into Huddersfield mk2 overnight but he might do it in 2 or 3 seasons.

32 minutes ago, Tricky said:

@glen9mullanyou could be a good while at the airport yet 😄 

I've tried not to cheap skate this time, my idea of flying from stansted last year as it was a £2k saving, had me paying out another £2.5k to leave the country 3 days later, as they closed the gate 30 mins before take off and we arrived 28 mins before.

I believe its bedlam at Manchester, but kids are off to in-laws so hopefully wont be too painful

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I'd find it odd if we'd offered Carvalhal a deal (first reported early last week) when we had only just begun the interviews in earnest and planned on speaking to more managers throughout the week.

I'm not in the know. You appear to be. But as a layman on all the information flying around, what I do believe from, shall we say, from common knowledge, is that absolutely no offer will be made until Venkys have been supplied with our recommendations and give their feedback, particularly on budgets. That's due to happen this week.

Not against dropping of information and rumours on here, but I just don't believe this particular one at all.

I don’t get offended when people don’t believe what I say so don’t worry about it. All I will say is that he was identified as number 1, interviewed first as a result and there was no changing of minds by hierarchy . It was put to him what the budgets would be and what staffing changes he could make , and as a result if he accepted the budgets the job was his. The interviews that follows were standard as would happen with any job, and were to assess for the event carvahal didn’t accept which now looks likely sadly. 

20 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Carvahal became number 1 target and was offered terms which by all accounts it doesn’t seem like he was too enamoured with and will now be taking a money job elsewhere. Still not totally dead but we would need to come back with a better offer which I don’t think we will. 

@RevidgeBlue Billionaire owners eh? 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Firstly I'm not sure others dithering about really is the bar we should be aiming for. Bit of a straw man argument that others are doing equally badly. 

Also Burnley in particular is a different kettle of fish. Not knowing what league they would be in till significantly later than is may factor into the delay, as am sure the candidates available and the attractiveness of the position changes depending on this. 

It's also worth saying this isn't our first rodeo when we have had some... issues appointing a manager. It's not a one off struggle. The last 2 appointments have seen some very left field and limited candidates which again makes me a tad reluctant to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Finally managerial search aside, when you consider income, results, the training ground saga, the ground the picture it paints looks pretty grim across the board. Hardly cause for optimism. 

There is absolutely no difference - all clubs are currently manager less it is as simple as that !

19 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I've tried not to cheap skate this time, my idea of flying from stansted last year as it was a £2k saving, had me paying out another £2.5k to leave the country 3 days later, as they closed the gate 30 mins before take off and we arrived 28 mins before.

I believe its bedlam at Manchester, but kids are off to in-laws so hopefully wont be too painful

Good luck, it's Steve Kean levels of incompetence at MAN these days but only really impacting the early morning flights. 

8 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I don’t get offended when people don’t believe what I say so don’t worry about it. All I will say is that he was identified as number 1, interviewed first as a result and there was no changing of minds by hierarchy . It was put to him what the budgets would be and what staffing changes he could make , and as a result if he accepted the budgets the job was his. The interviews that follows were standard as would happen with any job, and were to assess for the event carvahal didn’t accept which now looks likely sadly. 

if woodgate gets it, it shows the boro mafia are still pulling the strings. From an applicant list of over 50 and the best they can come up with is ferguson and woodgate, after making a cheap offer to CC it really says it all. Never well run under this lot and we never will be, the club will deserve what it gets in terms of more fan drop off and a slide right back down the table

• Like 8

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

My £1 is on Critchley. I get the feeling he's one who doesn't want to be named because he's in a job. And for what it's worth I think he'd be an excellent addition.

Sorry don’t know who he is. Who does he manage ?

What has he done and what attributes make you think he would be a good appointment ?

and just for chaddy what’s his style of play and is he a coach who works with a DOF or a manager and what’s his back room team and would he want to bring his own 

I literally know nothing about him