BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers - The Highs, Lows & The Totally Sublime

Supporting Rovers is a roller coaster ride to say the least. There have been some unbelievable times in the history of our proud and prestigious club.

What are your best and worst experiences as a die hard Rovers fan?

The highs - Winning the League Cup when everybody had written us off and acted as though playing the final was a mere formality before presenting Tottenham with the trophy. Also the years that followed with our many many qualifications for Europe. Supporting the biggest and most successful small town club in the world.

The lows - Venkys 

The Sublime - Winning the Premier League. Although I was too young to really grasp the gravity of this accomplishment at the time I can still remember it now. There does exist a photo somewhere of me with the trophy when they brought it around to our school. Every year it looks more and more impressive that a small town club from the north west was crowned Champions of England. 

• Like 1

Highs- Been quite a lot over the last 40 years or so, but my favourite has to be that day out at Wembley when we beat Leicester, loved football back in those days, and yes we went on to bigger and better things, but being there that day was extra special.

Lows - The Kean era, and the complete Venky's era.... As a supporter we shouldn't have to worry too much what happens off the pitch, during my time in the 80's 90's and before Venkys, we always had a decent board, who would make the right decisions, would cut the cloth accordingly and 99% of supporters were only interested in what happens on the pitch. 

Now, we've sold out to owners thousands of miles away, who don't come games, don't let the board manage, and are light years behind  most of the football world when it comes to making swift, decisive decisions. I could not care two hoots how much they put in, how much they lose as its all self inflicted and a far cry from the days before they came.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead

Highs- League Cup win in 2002 and all the promotions, even the one from league one! 
Lows- relegations and quite a few under Venky’s, I think we know which they are.

Sublime- how could I look any further than 1995. What a side. Even as an 11 year old, it was one of the best days of my life.

Thinking about it now still makes me beam with pride.

• Like 3

High - Full Member's Cup Final. It was the first time I'd seen the Rovers at Wembley and I must admit I was very emotional when Killer lifted the trophy wearing our famous blue and white shirt. The play-off final of 1992 ran it very close to be fair.

Low - "Glad All Over" (if you know, you know).

Sublime - I never thought I would witness Rovers as champions of England, but there was a 4 year build up towards that so my sublime moment is actually when King Kenneth Matheson Dalglish was unveiled as Blackburn Rovers manager to an incredulous crowd at Ewood just before a game against Plymouth. Witnessing the quite different talents of Messrs Shearer and Kerimoglu in a Rovers shirt were also moments that I will cherish forever.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 5

Highs -  My first high following the club was the Wembley play off final in 1992. Just a cracking, although very tiring day that i spent with my mum and grandad that i remember vividly. Nearly 30 years to the day i was so hoping that i would be able to take my son to the Play Off final this year and watch us get promoted again to relive the spirit of that day, unfortunately doesn't look like its meant to be. Obviously have to include The Worthington Cup win, and the promotions at Deepdale and Doncaster in there too. 

Lows - Alan Shearer leaving would have to be the first one, then relegation in 99 was a tough one to take, although eased knowing that the club was still in pretty good shape to bounce back. The whole Kean debacle and various things that have followed have to top it though, at times it's been an absolute chore over this past decade.

Sublime - Being in the Liverpool side of the Anfield Road End on May 14th 1995 was probably my favorite ever day following Rovers, i was decked out in Blue and White and i can't say enough good things about the locals around us who genuinely treat us like royalty. They ushered me and my Mum all along the row to get next to the Rovers fans at the final whistle so we could celebrate along with them. Incredible day that will never be topped or repeated.

• Like 3

I'm 30, which makes this thread a bit tricky. Too young to remember the title win. Too spoiled to realise that the Souness/Hughes years weren't going to carry on forever, although they still contain amazing memories. 

As a recent 'high' of sorts, I was genuinely quite emotional at the Oxford game in L1. Glorious sunshine and full stands of blue and white in every direction. An important reminder of what this club can be. 

• Like 2

Lows - I'm going to start off with these as I'd like to finish the post with the good times. I was gutted when Shearer left, when relegation happened in '99 and when Duffer left in '03. But there was always hope back then, that we'd recover. Everything from November 2010 to today has been a low point. The first two years when the rat was here were the worst I've ever known. It has largely been nothing but a comedy of errors, humiliation and embarrassment under these owners.

Highs - there have been many, all before 2010 for me. The ultimate is the title win in 1995. I was quite young at the time but can still remember the celebrations in Blackburn town centre that evening. People running around overjoyed, chanting, flags being waved, car horns blaring, me stood up waving my Rovers scarf through the open sun roof of my dad's car. Brilliant scenes and surreal to look back on considering how awful the past 12 years have been.

A few months later Colin Hendry turned up at my school. That was a 'wow' moment and a half. My teacher knew I was a Rovers fan as we'd often talk about the weekend's games, he was a Liverpool fan. He pointed me out to big Col as being a keen Rovers fan and I couldn't believe I had the chance to talk to him. Eventually, I asked him a question and he had a laugh with me when I told him Shearer was my favourite player. That was a personal high.

Deepdale 2001 is in there. The League Cup win in 2002 is obviously another, especially due to the way Rovers were being dismissed beforehand. All Tottenham had to do was turn up, apparently. We'll see about that. A sweet, sweet day with Rovers doing the business and sending the dismissive skulking off.

There are a couple of results against the big guns that I count as highs too. Arsenal away in October 2002 when Dwight Yorke chipped in the winner is one. I listened to it on the radio and have never been as on edge when listening to a game as I was that day.

We were 2-1 up but got battered for the last 30 minutes. Every time Arsenal went forward I thought they would score, it was head in hands stuff to listen to. It was an onslaught but Brad was superb keeping everything out and the defence put in a heroic effort that afternoon. The feeling at full time, I'll never forget it. That was a serious Arsenal side too containing the likes of Pires, Bergkamp, Henry, Cole etc so it was a big thing.

The second game is the MGP show at Old Trafford, September 2005. Probably the happiest I have ever been after a game aside from the trophy winning games. For two weeks leading up to it I had cocky United fans telling me how Rovers had no chance and Ronaldo would do this and Rooney would do that, blah blah blah. Standard arrogant comments everybody has likely heard from United fans. For us to go there and put them to the sword was special. To hear Sparky say before the game "we want to give them something to worry about" just added to it all. We went there to win and I love that attitude. A complete contrast to today and the approach of the current manager.

I often bring out the t-shirt below to wind up those United fans. I'm absolutely delighted to see the situation as it is at United and all their fans crying. Apparently some of them are "falling out of love with United". I can't think why. Long may it continue 😂.

IMG_20220429_173021.thumb.jpg.8807ecbe42a55f24ee9433c3e66e5cff.jpg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Lows - I'm going to start off with these as I'd like to finish the post with the good times. I was gutted when Shearer left, when relegation happened in '99 and when Duffer left in '03. But there was always hope back then, that we'd recover. Everything from November 2010 to today has been a low point. The first two years when the rat was here were the worst I've ever known. It has largely been nothing but a comedy of errors, humiliation and embarrassment under these owners.

Highs - there have been many, all before 2010 for me. The ultimate is the title win in 1995. I was quite young at the time but can still remember the celebrations in Blackburn town centre that evening. People running around overjoyed, chanting, flags being waved, car horns blaring, me stood up waving my Rovers scarf through the open sun roof of my dad's car. Brilliant scenes and surreal to look back on considering how awful the past 12 years have been.

A few months later Colin Hendry turned up at my school. That was a 'wow' moment and a half. My teacher knew I was a Rovers fan as we'd often talk about the weekend's games, he was a Liverpool fan. He pointed me out to big Col as being a keen Rovers fan and I couldn't believe I had the chance to talk to him. Eventually, I asked him a question and he had a laugh with me when I told him Shearer was my favourite player. That was a personal high.

Deepdale 2001 is in there. The League Cup win in 2002 is obviously another, especially due to the way Rovers were being dismissed beforehand. All Tottenham had to do was turn up, apparently. We'll see about that. A sweet, sweet day with Rovers doing the business and sending the dismissive skulking off.

There are a couple of results against the big guns that I count as highs too. Arsenal away in October 2002 when Dwight Yorke chipped in the winner is one. I listened to it on the radio and have never been as on edge when listening to a game as I was that day.

We were 2-1 up but got battered for the last 30 minutes. Every time Arsenal went forward I thought they would score, it was head in hands stuff to listen to. It was an onslaught but Brad was superb keeping everything out and the defence put in a heroic effort that afternoon. The feeling at full time, I'll never forget it. That was a serious Arsenal side too containing the likes of Pires, Bergkamp, Henry, Cole etc so it was a big thing.

The second game is the MGP show at Old Trafford, September 2005. Probably the happiest I have ever been after a game aside from the trophy winning games. For two weeks leading up to it I had cocky United fans telling me how Rovers had no chance and Ronaldo would do this and Rooney would do that, blah blah blah. Standard arrogant comments everybody has likely heard from United fans. For us to go there and put them to the sword was special. To hear Sparky say before the game "we want to give them something to worry about" just added to it all. We went there to win and I love that attitude. A complete contrast to today and the approach of the current manager.

I often bring out the t-shirt below to wind up those United fans. I'm absolutely delighted to see the situation as it is at United and all their fans crying. Apparently some of them are "falling out of love with United". I can't think why. Long may it continue 😂.

IMG_20220429_173021.thumb.jpg.8807ecbe42a55f24ee9433c3e66e5cff.jpg

When we did them 4-3 was even better for me. Rio Rio Rio Rio

• Like 2

Too many of both to list but besides the obvious promotions, cups and prem title, my greatest highs were 5 goals against Plymouth (twice) Burnley and beating Manure at The theatre of dogshit.

Lows were obviously relegations and being at Turd Moor with a group of Rovers fans when Dingles managed to stay in the 4th division.

I moved away a month after the play off final so my match day experiences have been tempered somewhat since then.

Highs. Being at Wembley in 92 for the play off final.  Also winning the league. League Cup. Etc.

Lows. Venkys

Sublime. Matt jansen scoring that wonder goal on his debut. The 7-1 win over West ham.  The incredible game v Sheffield Wednesday when we were 4 up within the first 20 minutes then Wednesday hit back through carbone.  Game ended 7-2. Matt le tissier scoring that amazing goal at Ewood. How he did that with so little backlift was incredible.  I was in the jack walker stand

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 1874 said:

Highs

The reigns of Lee, Kendall Saxton Smith Mackay Dalgleish Souness and Hughes

Lows

Everyone else

Only thing left on my wishlist is an FA Cup Final win

I'd add Furphy to the highs. Wasn't a fan of Saxton despite the extremely challenging financial circumstances he had to work under.

Otherwise couldn't agree more.

9 hours ago, roverandout said:

Highs. Being at Wembley in 92 for the play off final.  Also winning the league. League Cup. Etc.

Lows. Venkys

Sublime. Matt jansen scoring that wonder goal on his debut. The 7-1 win over West ham.  The incredible game v Sheffield Wednesday when we were 4 up within the first 20 minutes then Wednesday hit back through carbone.  Game ended 7-2. Matt le tissier scoring that amazing goal at Ewood. How he did that with so little backlift was incredible.  I was in the jack walker stand

That Sheffield Wednesday game was so good. I remember them all doing a conga line around the Darwen End. 

• Like 1

I think what in particular made the film Member's Cup won special sas that we weren't expected to win, it was little old blackburn rovers, playing first division Charlton. I remember we beat Chelsea and Oxford along the way, with tp as caretaker. I missed that one as I was on a school trip. But we hadn't done anything for ages, totally in the doldrums. 

Then the play off win. We'd finished sixth in the division after making it look like a cakewalk we'd fallen to pieces. After getting done in every previous play off we'd been in, I just had this feeling we wouldn't do it. The lady ten minutes or so I can still feel the nerves now. 

Another l low I remember was the football league centenary at Wembley. We'd gotten there when we had that amazing unbeaten run. I was there and it was when Wembley was still standing, we were fenced off from wolves fans, I seem to remember thinking it was a it animalistic. Travelling up to Wembley, it was a mini tournament and we got knocked out in the first round on penalties, I think Hendry skied one. Totally deflating. 

But nothing, ever, will ever come close to the nadir of being owned by venkys. 

New signings used to uplift me with endless possibilities.

I remember a lot of excitement when Kevin Davies signed. He'd been great for Saints and was much hyped by the media. I learnt of the signing suddenly and almost couldn't contain my excitement and remember telling people that Wenger was an admirer, so he must be good.

Jon Stead and MGP were other ones. I'd tracked the online rumours and negotiations as they drip fed. There was a great Huddersfield fan site that made cartoon graphic stories of their games and Stead's goals and satirised tendency to point as to where he wanted the ball was much featured. Meanwhile, Tromso had match highlights on their website and I negotiated Norwegian to track down goals by Gamst. I recall doing so with Ternana and Ciccio Grabbi too. (And remembered noting his strike partner at Ternana, Fabrizio Miccoli, who seemed useful).

I've become more detached about failures and successes now but I remember taking relegation from the Prem badly. A Marian Pahars goal for Saints and a Chris Bart-Williams goal for Forest were particularly painful as they knocked the final nails in our coffin.

Edited by riverholmes