BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Young, Hungy, technical....all the things you need just to be a footballer...that's a given.

You think we need to have these on the bench for championship promotion?  The strength of the bench will decide who gets promote.  Sorry I think we are getting into the realms of silly season if you think the 23s are going to help us up this season.  Anything less than 8th is a disaster 

It really isn’t.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Young, Hungy, technical....all the things you need just to be a footballer...that's a given.

You think we need to have these on the bench for championship promotion?  The strength of the bench will decide who gets promote.  Sorry I think we are getting into the realms of silly season if you think the 23s are going to help us up this season.  Anything less than 8th is a disaster 

Don’t think anyone has mentioned promotion but you. Straw man argument that I’m not getting dragged into. 

We’d be going into the season with David McGoldrick knocking them down for Stefan Mols in your world so I don’t know why we’re dreaming of the Premier League here.

20 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

If something happens to both Buckley and Travis, then the midfield would be Wharton & Garrett.

Far too risky.

Fine by me. Good enough players

Personally thought Garrett imposed himself more on that game than Travis did. You’re not going to find better for 250-500k in the market than that for a 6/8 in the EFL.

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

My take away from yesterdays game is that Adam Wharton and Jake Garrett aren't just "okay" back up for Buckley & Travis, I think they're great back up. Young, hungry, technically gifted footballers who I think we should let be the subs this season.

Focus money in the defensive and forward areas for me.

I think Jake Garrett had a better game and that late tackle in the second half of the game was good but he stood up for him and that's impress me. 

I still feel we need 2 centre midfielders and that allow Buckley to play the 10 role if Dack is injured or out of form. Plus a winger, striker, right back and centre back

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Personally thought Garrett imposed himself more on that game than Travis did. You’re not going to find better for 250-500k in the market than that for a 6/8 in the EFL.

No doubt Garrett was impressive, but whether he’s ready for a full championship season is another matter.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, JoeH said:

My take away from yesterdays game is that Adam Wharton and Jake Garrett aren't just "okay" back up for Buckley & Travis, I think they're great back up. Young, hungry, technically gifted footballers who I think we should let be the subs this season.

Focus money in the defensive and forward areas for me.

I’d much rather this than loaning in other teams fringe youngsters. Agree that we need to be spending any money we have on filling the glaring holes in the starting 11, but I’d still like one more midfielder in though… a Bradley Johnson type with a few more years on his side would be good.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Fine by me. Good enough players

‘Fine’? To have two academy lads who have never played a first team game an injury away from anchoring a Championship midfield?

Lets hope GB and JDT are a little less flippant.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Fine’? To have two academy lads who have never played a first team game an injury away from anchoring a Championship midfield?

Lets hope GB and JDT are a little less flippant.

There was a time when Lewis Travis and John Buckley were two academy lads who’d never played a first team game.

Right, and they were thrown in together without ever playing a single minute and asked to run a first team, Championship level midfield between them?

Or were they slowly blooded alongside experienced pros over a number of years?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, neophox said:

Jack Vale seems to have beefed up...trickery and pacy player with an eye for goal... will be in the first team...

played for u21 and u23 for Wales....scored a hattrick last time for Wales.

Jack Vale lead the line brilliant and his performance yesterday was very good. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Right, and they were thrown in together without ever playing a single minute and asked to run a first team, Championship level midfield between them?

Or were they slowly blooded alongside experienced pros over a number of years?

The argument is they’re good enough as back ups and that will give them opportunity to improve, not about them being “thrown in”

If we get others in they go on loan, it’s been the same setup for ages.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JBiz said:

The argument is they’re good enough as back ups and that will give them opportunity to improve, not about them being “thrown in”

If we get others in they go on loan, it’s been the same setup for ages.

That wasn’t his argument, he said we don’t need to look to bring in experienced midfielders as those two can step straight in as first choice if Travis and Buckley are injured. Two academy lads who have never played a minute of first team football in a division as relentless as this - just silly.

Your second paragraph is obviously what will happen and that’s fair enough.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think he is and I have championed him on here to be a part of our first team squad this season

Good for you Chaddy.

I hope he is ready, but I think he needs to be used sparingly for now.

There’s no substitute for experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RVRVRS said:

We didn’t make any subs, felt sorry for Butterworth as he didn’t get a game

Butterworth needs to leave and go and find a club where he will play regular. 

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Good for you Chaddy.

I hope he is ready, but I think he needs to be used sparingly for now.

There’s no substitute for experience.

He is ready and I think he should get experience here. 

25 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

No doubt Garrett was impressive, but whether he’s ready for a full championship season is another matter.

You’re a young kid and you get a shot at the first team. You’d be busting a gut to impress, 120% performance, giving it your all. Can you give it your all for the next game, and the game after that etc. ? I don’t think so, It doesn’t work like that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just remind me who he was playing against yesterday Chaddy ? Was it Accy reserves ?

No idea on the Accy team as I don't follow them. It's about our performances 

I have said before yesterday that I thought Jack Vale, Jake Garrett, James Brown and Ash Phillips was ready for our first team squad. Yesterday performances only endorsed my view. 

• Like 1