BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

• J*B unpinned this topic
14 minutes ago, rigger said:

Even Pears is OK, as long as he only has to sit on the bench

I'd be OK if I only had to sit on the bench. We don't pay these pro footballers thousands a week to sit on the bench, we pay them to be up to the task when called upon. Pears isn't.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'd be OK if I only had to sit on the bench. We don't pay these pro footballers thousands a week to sit on the bench, we pay them to be up to the task when called upon. Pears isn't.

WE don't pay these pro footballers anything, the club does.

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

I think it was four at the back throughout, wasn't it? Carter seemed to be playing at right-back in the first-half, with Phillips and Wharton in the middle, and Pickering at left-back. Carter moved into the centre when Brittain replaced Phillips.

It was a 4-2-3-1, which is the formation we've consistently played since the Accrington Stanley game. 

Carter started at RB and shifted to CB when Phillips was replaced by Brittain (who subsequently moved to RB). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

WE don't pay these pro footballers anything, the club does.

Cool. Good thing too, I can't afford it. Were you just being pedantic, when you know that by 'we' I mean the club I'm a fan of, or did you have an actual counterpoint there?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, goozburger said:

While Pears has made two or three basic mistakes

I think you're understating there. He cost us one game on his own. He did play well at Bournemouth though.

Its consistency you want with a keeper.

47 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Cool. Good thing too, I can't afford it. Were you just being pedantic, when you know that by 'we' I mean the club I'm a fan of, or did you have an actual counterpoint there?

If you meant the club, why didn't you put that ?

• Moderation Lead
12 minutes ago, rigger said:

To be fair, I and many others refer to Rovers as ‘we’ or ‘us’. Guessing it’s to do with feeling some sort of connection at some point throughout my life?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

Ok, thanks for confirming it was just because you were being pedantic. We talk about the club as 'we' all the time on here. We need players. We should have fired Mowbray sooner. We got promoted from League One. None of those are the fans, we vicariously experience them or want them for the club. You knew what I meant, and you knew I didn't believe I was wiring Pears 3k a week.

• Like 4

Pears costs what 4 or 5k pwk to sit on the bench yet we seem to baulk at shelling out for some pay rises or signings. Now we are being told by NIxon Rovers were willing to shell out 26 grand a week on a loan signing for Davies.

Surely that brass would be better spent on securing Brereton so he's worth something in years to come. And bringing in another good player of our own ?

Nothing ever makes sense here.

17 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Vale, Gallagher and BBD will likely be our front 3. Be very surprised if that wasn't the case.

Brereton if he stays which he won't plays from the left anyway. So the question is whether Gallagher and Vale are enough for the central striking role, for me that would be a sure fire no.

I would go for a central striker first and then replace Brereton with a left sider.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

His fitness levels aren't ready for him to start championship game at this stage. He has barely had any game time so I think JDT will slowly introduce him to games and by September he will be ready to start games regularly. 

Yes we got 5 subs but that should have zero baring on him starting games or not. 

I wouldn't start him against QPR but has a sub for the first few games

But surely by giving him cameos, he won't be able to build up to start games like you suggest. If anything he will become rustier and rustier.

He with his goal threat fitness permitting is absolutely key to our season. I would start him even if he can't last the full game.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But surely by giving him cameos, he won't be able to build up to start games like you suggest. If anything he will become rustier and rustier.

He with his goal threat fitness permitting is absolutely key to our season. I would start him even if he can't last the full game.

You need to do slowly and build him up bit by bit. He has already a niggling injury in pre season so we need to be careful and take our time doing it. 

Well no surprised to me that you would start him even tho he can't last the full game

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You need to do slowly and build him up bit by bit. He has already a niggling injury in pre season so we need to be careful and take our time doing it. 

Well no surprised to me that you would start him even tho he can't last the full game

But what I am saying is that I am not convinced that 20/30 minute cameos will build him up.

Surely now he has been training for a couple of weeks and has got 60 minutes under his belt, starting him at a point when all players are getting fully up to speed is the best way to go about it.

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But what I am saying is that I am not convinced that 20/30 minute cameos will build him up.

Surely now he has been training for a couple of weeks and has got 60 minutes under his belt, starting him at a point when all players are getting fully up to speed is the best way to go about it.

Its about 2 weeks since he returned to training. Well after Jon Dahl Tomasson comments post match it seems he will start on the bench for next week. 

Lets leave it Ben Rosen and JDT to decide whether he is ready for starting place

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its about 2 weeks since he returned to training. Well after Jon Dahl Tomasson comments post match it seems he will start on the bench for next week. 

Lets leave it Ben Rosen and JDT to decide whether he is ready for starting place

If we are just saying "leave it for the manager to decide" then you could say that about anything. Why bother with a messageboard if we are so dismissive of opinions that could differ from the manager?

I dont think he will start but I would start him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If we are just saying "leave it for the manager to decide" then you could say that about anything. Why bother with a messageboard if we are so dismissive of opinions that could differ from the manager?

If you are discussing the merits of starting Dack. I don't think Dack suits JDT's plan A, but could be a vital part of a plan B. So I think Dack will be on the bench, and let's see how plan A goes.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

If you are discussing the merits of starting Dack. I don't think Dack suits JDT's plan A, but could be a vital part of a plan B. So I think Dack will be on the bench, and let's see how plan A goes.

Its obviously all dependant on how he comes back post injury, but if he is back to his old self, he is our best player so has to be part of plan A. Prior to injury, he certainly wasnt this immobile player that he is being painted as physically.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its obviously all dependant on how he comes back post injury, but if he is back to his old self, he is our best player so has to be part of plan A. Prior to injury, he certainly wasnt this immobile player that he is being painted as physically.

Dack, even in his pomp would not have been effective at a high pressing game. Which may or may not be JDT's plan A.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rigger said:

Dack, even in his pomp would not have been effective at a high pressing game. Which may or may not be JDT's plan A.

I think he could have easily fitted into a pressing game plus he has the composure to capitalise when we do win the ball high up much more than anyone else.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think he could have easily fitted into a pressing game plus he has the composure to capitalise when we do win the ball high up much more than anyone else.

You think Dack can play a high pressing game, I don't. We should leave it at that, going over the same ground is boring for others to read. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But our head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson has explained the Dack fitness issue and given his lack of pre season minutes. Why disagree with that? why risk another injury with him by starting him against QPR

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The first half of the game the other day Dack looked anything but fit.

Surely be madness to start him so early after 2 serious injuries and only one pre season game involvement.

Bring him on if needed later in the game when the opposition legs are tired.He won't be starting at weekend anyway 

• Like 1