BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

32 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Yeah we do. I’ve also noticed we commit a LOT of cynical fouls in the midfield areas. I think that’s to counter our pressing style. If a team gets through the press then we’re exposed and fouling someone is almost a must to stop the counter attack. City and Liverpool do it magnificently. The key is to do it in a way so as not to get booked!

City and Liverpool do it by obstruction, nudges, faking fouls on themselves  rather than foul tackles. Less obvious. I think it will be interesting to see if Phillips can adapt to that method at City.  Refs in the PL know it and allow 1 or sometimes 2 players per team to do it. In the EFL it would soon invoke yellows.

Pre-season games are ultimately a means to an end but very pleased to see Dack get 60 minutes and score, as rusty as he predictably was. I doubt he will be but I wonder if he is in contention to start next weekend, even if he comes off after an hour which is even less of an issue with 5 subs, he gives us a goal threat that not many do.

Also interested by Hedges this season, he came unlike Dolan/Markanday with a bit more pedigree as an established player in Scotland and whilst he is somewhat not typical of your usual small flighty winger, his left foot certainly has a rocket in it as @Andy mentioned earlier.

Brittain gave us a bit of width that we didn't have in the first half, his cross for the goal was outstanding even if he wasted 2 other attacks with wayward crosses. Hopefully he will give us a new dimension in our team.

• Like 2

There seems to be particular praise in the direction of Phillips and Adam Wharton, and they certainly didn't let themselves down, but is it a case of them getting more praise than a more experienced player would for the same performance?

The defence was totally untested really, Phillips didn't do much if anything wrong but it was all at half pace for the whole defence and he didn't stand out, and Wharton was caught a couple of times in dangerous areas, as I suppose is a risk with playing out from the back.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There seems to be particular praise in the direction of Phillips and Adam Wharton, and they certainly didn't let themselves down, but is it a case of them getting more praise than a more experienced player would for the same performance?

The defence was totally untested really, Phillips didn't do much if anything wrong but it was all at half pace for the whole defence and he didn't stand out, and Wharton was caught a couple of times in dangerous areas, as I suppose is a risk with playing out from the back.

Wharton did that so much last season, but people seemed to give him a pass on that because he was a homegrown lad. Several home games in the second half of the season Kaminski bailed him out saving one on ones after he pissed away possession

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Wharton did that so much last season, but people seemed to give him a pass on that because he was a homegrown lad. Several home games in the second half of the season Kaminski bailed him out saving one on ones after he pissed away possession

Wharton I would say is middle of the road on the ball, in general he is quite composed but I am not convinced that he is good enough on the ball to suit playing out from the back.

I would definitely agree though regarding mistakes made, his form like many really declined towards the end of the season. I remember against Stoke at home I think and maybe v Blackpool too, my heart was constantly in my mouth and Kaminski made a few saves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Pre-season games are ultimately a means to an end but very pleased to see Dack get 60 minutes and score, as rusty as he predictably was. I doubt he will be but I wonder if he is in contention to start next weekend, even if he comes off after an hour which is even less of an issue with 5 subs, he gives us a goal threat that not many do.

Also interested by Hedges this season, he came unlike Dolan/Markanday with a bit more pedigree as an established player in Scotland and whilst he is somewhat not typical of your usual small flighty winger, his left foot certainly has a rocket in it as @Andy mentioned earlier.

Brittain gave us a bit of width that we didn't have in the first half, his cross for the goal was outstanding even if he wasted 2 other attacks with wayward crosses. Hopefully he will give us a new dimension in our team.

I would be surprised if Dack starts next week. From the bench I expect. 

Brittain will be very good signing for us and I am confident of that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Pre-season is meaningless but I have noticed that some of the tactical things (Gallagher wide, Dolan as the main striker) have continued into the Tomasson reign.

If these continue during the actual season, I wonder how that will go down?

Against Celtic he played Dolan as the AMC / #10, which he's done well in. 

Today he played him as the #9 and Dack as the #10.

They interchange so much that I don't see it being a problem - but I do think we're short upfront... and I'd still love £15m for Brereton with (some of) that money being reinvested into the squad.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Wharton I would say is middle of the road on the ball, in general he is quite composed but I am not convinced that he is good enough on the ball to suit playing out from the back.

I would definitely agree though regarding mistakes made, his form like many really declined towards the end of the season. I remember against Stoke at home I think and maybe v Blackpool too, my heart was constantly in my mouth and Kaminski made a few saves.

Its going to need our CMs to step up tbh. They're meant to be the pivots and give the CB an outlet. As much as I like Travis, he went hiding at times today when we were in possession.

This system doesn't ask the CBs to be the playmakers, but they are expected to be comfortable on the ball. I think Wharton is fine there as long as he's not asked to ping 40 yard through balls.

Edited by Exiled_Rover

3 hours ago, goozburger said:

One thing I've noticed from pre-season is that we seem to be much stronger in the second half. That could be a great sign of fitness levels and, hopefully, a stronger mentality amongst the players.

I think from what I've seen it's first half let's work on fitness, let's talk at half time and bounce some ideas about and raise the tempo second half. Next week it'll be totally different I think and we'll be fast out the blocks.

Honestly cannot wait.

Edited by Ossydave

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be surprised if Dack starts next week. From the bench I expect. 

Brittain will be very good signing for us and I am confident of that

He is our biggest goal threat whereas a lot of our other attackers have yet to prove that they can score regularly, maybe Brereton aside. We have 5 subs so we can take him off without bother after an hour but that way its less a case of him catching up from the start.

42 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Against Celtic he played Dolan as the AMC / #10, which he's done well in. 

Today he played him as the #9 and Dack as the #10.

They interchange so much that I don't see it being a problem - but I do think we're short upfront... and I'd still love £15m for Brereton with (some of) that money being reinvested into the squad.

Point being that when Dolan played as a 9 and when Gallagher was wide, neither of which either player was stuck to rigidly, Mowbray was criticised. I was just wondering if people were worried that what they perceived as wrong tactical decisions could be repeated.

I do wonder if the main attacking target should be a striker even now with Brereton often playing to the left. And then when he goes, bring in another left sider.

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is our biggest goal threat whereas a lot of our other attackers have yet to prove that they can score regularly, maybe Brereton aside. We have 5 subs so we can take him off without bother after an hour but that way its less a case of him catching up from the start.

Point being that when Dolan played as a 9 and when Gallagher was wide, neither of which either player was stuck to rigidly, Mowbray was criticised. I was just wondering if people were worried that what they perceived as wrong tactical decisions could be repeated.

I do wonder if the main attacking target should be a striker even now with Brereton often playing to the left. And then when he goes, bring in another left sider.

Vale, Gallagher and BBD will likely be our front 3. Be very surprised if that wasn't the case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herbie6590 said:

3 at the back till Brittain came on

Ah interesting. Thanks! JDT seems to be broadly sticking with what Mowbray wa doing last season then.

So presumably we will start 343 next weekend. My guess at the team ;

Kaminski

Carter.   Ayala.  Wharton

Brittain.   Travis. .    Buckley.    Pickering 

Markanday.    Gallagher   BBD

Subs :  Pears, Phillips, A Wharton, Dack, Dolan, Hedges, Vale

Im pretty okay with that except very light if injuries in defence of midfield.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

3 at the back till Brittain came on

To me it was a back four with Carter at right back and Pickering on the left with two centre halves in Wharton and Phillips. In the second half Carter went to centre half to accommodate Brittain.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His fitness levels aren't ready for him to start championship game at this stage. He has barely had any game time so I think JDT will slowly introduce him to games and by September he will be ready to start games regularly. 

Yes we got 5 subs but that should have zero baring on him starting games or not. 

I wouldn't start him against QPR but has a sub for the first few games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Ah interesting. Thanks! JDT seems to be broadly sticking with what Mowbray wa doing last season then.

So presumably we will start 343 next weekend. My guess at the team ;

Kaminski

Carter.   Ayala.  Wharton

Brittain.   Travis. .    Buckley.    Pickering 

Markanday.    Gallagher   BBD

Subs :  Pears, Phillips, A Wharton, Dack, Dolan, Hedges, Vale

Im pretty okay with that except very light if injuries in defence of midfield.

That's a pretty strong subs squad for a middling Championship side.