BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Sporting Director / DOF

11 hours ago, Athlete said:

GB is another chancer imo another very lucky person to be riding the venkys gravy train . 

For the January mess  in any other business he'd have been potted

I keep asking myself is promotion ever on the agenda ?

I think after twelve and a half years we can safely say the answer is a resounding NO.

On 20/05/2023 at 10:40, JohnD said:

You could argue that there's as much "nice food" in and around the Ribble Valley as in Manchester.

On 20/05/2023 at 11:38, martonrover said:

Strewth, I think you'd be using the special code word at the bar if Gregg walked in 😉 

I'll say it again, there don't seem to be any quotes of him saying 'nice food'. It's just a message board snowballing food into some sort of luxury dining.

On 20/05/2023 at 18:30, Athlete said:

GB is another chancer imo another very lucky person to be riding the venkys gravy train . 

For the January mess  in any other business he'd have been potted

I keep asking myself is promotion ever on the agenda ?

And now he's off to India to further ingratiate himself into the Ewood hierarchy.

A Company man if ever I saw one.

• Like 1

He was certainly ready to play the villain after the January fiasco. I'm still not 100% what his role in fucking that up was. Also failed to get a striker through the door.

Of the signings we actually completed I would rank as follows.

Hyam, Szmodic. Good signings, good players.

Brittan. Good until he picked up a bad injury.

Thomas. Could have been good but he had no-one to cross to. Bad attitude also, apparently.

Morton. Ok, really needed to be paired with an experienced pro to guide him. First full season of men's football and a lot was asked of him.

Hirst, Mola. Shit.

If there's any I missed then fill in the blanks.

This next season will be a big test for the Egg. Hopefully he doesn't fuck it up.

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Thomas. Could have been good but he had no-one to cross to. Bad attitude also, apparently

Fairly clear that Thomas hasn't been working training well enough when JDT was asked about him:

"What you are showing in training first, and what you show in games," Tomasson said. "You pick yourself, the manager doesn’t pick you, you pick yourself."

I thought he did OK on the pitch, but the last thing we want at the club is a disruptive influence. Fell out with the Huddersfield manager at the time, doesn't appear to have pulled his weight in training here. I don't think JDT would want him back in any case.

• Like 1

Only just got around to watching the full 'official' interview with Broughton on the Club website.

Must say that it sticks out to me what sort of an attitude and mentality we have around the Club. Within the first 5 minutes of the interview there was reference to just what 'big' clubs are joining the Championship next season (since when did anyone at Rovers consider Southampton, Ipswich or Plymouth to be big clubs?) and how tough that is going to make things and then the interviewer moves on to asking Broughton about tabloid rumours of interest in JDT. 

That kind of sums up what a defeatist and small time attitude there is here. You might expect those sort of questions from the likes of Radio Lancashire and the Lancashire Telegraph, but to get them on official club media I think is disturbing.

For the record Ipswich, Plymouth and Southampton are not big clubs compared to Rovers and I'd suggest anyone employed at Rovers who thinks so are in the wrong job. 

• Like 4

I’m afraid 11 years out the top flight and not a single top 6 finish in the league below since (with crowds collapsing to more top half L1 levels than Championship) has led to diminished standards across the club. 

We desperately needed a play off campaign to help shrug off this inferiority complex that has enveloped the club.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Only just got around to watching the full 'official' interview with Broughton on the Club website.

Must say that it sticks out to me what sort of an attitude and mentality we have around the Club. Within the first 5 minutes of the interview there was reference to just what 'big' clubs are joining the Championship next season (since when did anyone at Rovers consider Southampton, Ipswich or Plymouth to be big clubs?) and how tough that is going to make things and then the interviewer moves on to asking Broughton about tabloid rumours of interest in JDT. 

That kind of sums up what a defeatist and small time attitude there is here. You might expect those sort of questions from the likes of Radio Lancashire and the Lancashire Telegraph, but to get them on official club media I think is disturbing.

For the record Ipswich, Plymouth and Southampton are not big clubs compared to Rovers and I'd suggest anyone employed at Rovers who thinks so are in the wrong job. 

Did he say 'compared to Rovers', or did he just say big clubs?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Did he say 'compared to Rovers', or did he just say big clubs?

He said 'big clubs'. Being an employee of Rovers talking about Rovers' prospects and aims for next season I'd say the comparison to Rovers goes without saying.

So what does 'big clubs' refer to then? Big by Championship standards but not by Rovers?

I'd suggest watching the first 5-6 minutes of the interview again. It is quite clear what the interviewer is getting at.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So what does 'big clubs' refer to then? Big by Championship standards but not by Rovers?

I'd suggest watching the first 5-6 minutes of the interview again. It is quite clear what the interviewer is getting at.

And the answer was we play better against clubs that come out and attack us.

Just now, philipl said:

And the answer was we play better against clubs that come out and attack us.

The line being pursued by the interviewer was that life is only going to get harder for Rovers because there are so many 'big clubs' entering the Championship and 'there might be another' which I took to mean if Sheff Wed beat Barnsley in the final. 

I think it is lazy to approach things on the basis that 'big clubs' are going to make life any harder or that 'it is only going to get more difficult' next year. One look at the top 6 and play-off final sides this season shows that if anything it is more open than ever with so called 'big' clubs Watford, Norwich, West Brom missing out altogether.

The comment about playing better against clubs that come and attack us was added by Broughton in response. 

Anyhow, I just think it offers a glimpse into the attitudes of those employed by the club. Such an inferiority complex it is unbelievable and it seems they are trying to convince themselves and all those watching that we really are a small operator at this level.

Won't be many collected more in media revenue than us this season I'd wager.

59 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’m afraid 11 years out the top flight and not a single top 6 finish in the league below since (with crowds collapsing to more top half L1 levels than Championship) has led to diminished standards across the club. 

We desperately needed a play off campaign to help shrug off this inferiority complex that has enveloped the club.

The “ inferiority complex “ comes from the top. As long as the Chicken Chokers own us nothing will change. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The first 5-6 minutes are taken up with chat about the players that have left, the Academy and new contracts.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

The line being pursued by the interviewer was that life is only going to get harder for Rovers because there are so many 'big clubs' entering the Championship and 'there might be another' which I took to mean if Sheff Wed beat Barnsley in the final. 

The interviewer asks GB is he is worried that the Championship might be stronger next year. The interviewer specifically mentionsLeicester and 'another' i.e. Leeds or Everton, then specifically mentions 'parachute payments'. The interviewer is clearly on about teams coming down, not Barnsley or Sheff Weds. 

GB's response is he is not worried, he is excited by the prospect. 

You have totally misinterpreted that interview. It seems almost wilful. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Anyhow, I just think it offers a glimpse into the attitudes of those employed by the club. Such an inferiority complex it is unbelievable and it seems they are trying to convince themselves and all those watching that we really are a small operator at this level.

There is no inferiority complex anywhere in that interview. Again, a complete misrepresentation of the answers given by GB. 

• Like 5

I'll be honest I did think the summary given by JH was a bit melodramatic myself..

I don't think at any time in that interview Broughton called Plymouth or Ipswich a big club

The fact is that if Leicester and Leeds or Everton get relegated then there's two 'big clubs' relative to the Championship. Their spending power determines their size these days and they will gazump all below them

Dems the facts

• Like 3

Interviewer "I guess we have to find a different way of working to compete with some of those sides who have the bigger budgets, we don't have that available"

Broughton "That's fine, but we can't use that as an excuse, that is where it is, unless the Premier League, driven obviously by the work that is happening with the government white paper and the possible reforms reconfigures the parachute payments in the future, we know what we are in and we know how we have to do things differently. We've got a really good plan in place to do that, and hopefully we've made good steps this year towards fulfilling that"

Interviewer "How important do you think that white paper is for football clubs like this?"

Broughton "Yeah absolutely vital, not just for football clubs like us but for football as a whole, even if I go down to the Football Conference, if you look at Notts County this year, over 100 points, over 100 goals and then still rely on a play-off system to get promoted to the Football League when really now the National League is such a competitive league and has so many former Football League clubs in it that it has to progress...."

Interviewer "How competitive do you think the Championship is going to be next year, because by the looks of things there are going to be three big clubs coming down from the Premier League, there are two big clubs and potentially a third coming up as well from League One as well, how difficult a division do you think it might be?"

Broughton "Yeah I mean for all of those clubs to come in and have huge crowds and really drive up the attendances in the Championship"

That's the part I was referring to, it can be found around 4-5 minutes into his interview on the official Rovers TV page. It clearly references both those clubs coming down and those coming up.

Fair enough if you think that is an overreaction but I just think it shows what dumbing down and small time attitude there is around this club. 

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Interviewer "I guess we have to find a different way of working to compete with some of those sides who have the bigger budgets, we don't have that available"

Broughton "That's fine, but we can't use that as an excuse, that is where it is, unless the Premier League, driven obviously by the work that is happening with the government white paper and the possible reforms reconfigures the parachute payments in the future, we know what we are in and we know how we have to do things differently. We've got a really good plan in place to do that, and hopefully we've made good steps this year towards fulfilling that"

Interviewer "How important do you think that white paper is for football clubs like this?"

Broughton "Yeah absolutely vital, not just for football clubs like us but for football as a whole, even if I go down to the Football Conference, if you look at Notts County this year, over 100 points, over 100 goals and then still rely on a play-off system to get promoted to the Football League when really now the National League is such a competitive league and has so many former Football League clubs in it that it has to progress...."

Interviewer "How competitive do you think the Championship is going to be next year, because by the looks of things there are going to be three big clubs coming down from the Premier League, there are two big clubs and potentially a third coming up as well from League One as well, how difficult a division do you think it might be?"

Broughton "Yeah I mean for all of those clubs to come in and have huge crowds and really drive up the attendances in the Championship"

That's the part I was referring to, it can be found around 4-5 minutes into his interview on the official Rovers TV page. It clearly references both those clubs coming down and those coming up.

Fair enough if you think that is an overreaction but I just think it shows what dumbing down and small time attitude there is around this club. 

You should have linked the interview you were referring to. I was discussing the one on the BBC that went on for 30 mins. 

And even the official Rovers vid shows GB saying that nothing can be used as an excuse/barrier to success - not budgets, not age, not anything. That is the opposite of dumbing down. 

And in answer to the specific question you post above he says we play well when up against big teams/big crowds and he's excited by the challenge.

You seem to be looking for something that isn't there. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You should have linked the interview you were referring to. I was discussing the one on the BBC that went on for 30 mins. 

And even the official Rovers vid shows GB saying that nothing can be used as an excuse/barrier to success - not budgets, not age, not anything. That is the opposite of dumbing down. 

And in answer to the specific question you post above he says we play well when up against big teams/big crowds and he's excited by the challenge.

You seem to be looking for something that isn't there. 

I did mention in my original post that it was the full interview on the official page I had watched. I'm also not taking any issue with anything Broughton had to say, my annoyance was with the approach taken by the interviewer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I did mention in my original post that it was the full interview on the official page I had watched. I'm also not taking any issue with anything Broughton had to say, my annoyance was with the approach taken by the interviewer

You did indeed. My apologies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We are looking for a 'Set Piece Coach' after all these years apparently.I've been in Engineering Manufacturing all my life...I think I'll take my chances.

I'll show the lads how to Bend it like Beckham for a cheap 100k gig.

🤡

I'll show them how to take throw-ins, for a percentage of your gig.

• Like 1