BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Sporting Director / DOF

It's not going to be anybody of note, in my opinion.

The very last people in football who should be attempting something like this is Venky's. Talk about complicating things for no reason at all. How about get the basics right first before trying to act like smart arses?

My highest break is 8, I don't know what a stun shot is, but you know what, I might enter Q School because I believe I can play at The Crucible one day. Dream on!

This role will only be worthwhile if it is a Steve Walsh coming in, for me. He actually has some pedigree in the game and wouldn't come here without being given some assurances, you'd think.

If it's a low key appointment it will likely be a waste of time, as that individual is unlikely to have much power.

From what somebody said on the Manager thread its a different Steve Walsh...although I could be wrong!

Walsh had a great record at Leicester and although it's gone to pot at Everton, I wouldn't hold that against him. Its well documented that his reign there was basically null and void due to the crazy nature in which their owner decides to operate!

So does the new manager report to Mr and Mrs Desai, Balaji, Suhail, Waggott or the as yet to be named Sporting Director?

What happens if the Director wants to make a change but Suhail doesn't agree?

Emulate Brentford? This lot don't deserve to even be in the same sentence as the people running Brentford.

• Like 6

I hope we don't "emulate Brentford" as that would mean disbanding the academy...although with the proposed sale of the academy last year maybe this is all part of a longer term plan to "streamline" and cut costs?!

• Like 1

Never heard of him. 

Not entirely sure how the DOF leads with recruitment. I am assuming the manager tells him I want a new forward of this type and the DOF goes and gets one, rather than the DOF telling the manager I have bought this for you, now try and work out how to use them?

• Like 1

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, benhben said:

Never heard of him. 

Not entirely sure how the DOF leads with recruitment. I am assuming the manager tells him I want a new forward of this type and the DOF goes and gets one, rather than the DOF telling the manager I have bought this for you, now try and work out how to use them?

That's my understanding of it

I'm happy to see the appointment is somebody who has studied and worked for his status in the game, and somebody who has been successful implementing their ideas. My biggest fear was a jobs for the boys situation, or an ex-player, which in my opinion shouldn't give an automatic right, just because they need to do something post playing career. 

Apart from the earlier link posted I know nothing about the guy. But on paper it is the kind of appointment which ticks the boxes I wanted ticked. 

My only real question surrounds his remit. He's obviously been heavily involved in academy level in the past. Will that be his entire remit or is it all encompassing, up at senior level too.

It will be interesting to see how the roles might be adapted and possibly lead to changes elsewhere at the Rovers. Surely many of the functions of the role as DOF will eradicate or lessen those tasks being performed elsewhere, plus hopefully be a big improvement on those previously. 

I can think specifically of two, though there might well be others too:-

- Chief Scout, has the current incumbent moved on and not been replaced? A saving to be made in this post?

- CEO, I assume that many of the roles which this new position of DOF have previously been performed (successful or otherwise, discussed below) by Steve Waggott. So might it be fair to anticipate a reduction in his hours/contract, even that he might indeed be surplus to requirements? Especially when appraising his performance in a number of areas in recent times

• Season ticket renewals and having his finger on the pulse of the product in one of England's most deprived areas?
  • Contracts; both those dished out to underperformers, but also the worrying and financially bonkers of allowing valuable contracts to be run down, without either obtaining extensions or cashing in by their sale. 
  • Transfer window successes - if we were led to believe that money has been available by the owners and they have never rejected any requests, why have we seen such failures in windows under his tenure, none more so than in January 2022 sat 2nd in an automatic promotion spot, knowing that important players would be absent through injury and a boost for promotion might very well have paid dividends, yet underwhelming bits and bob signings were made, offering little help/support.
  • Attempt at selling for residential development our training ground.
  • Manager replacement - quite frankly this has been farcical and more than any of the above highlights his ineptitude and shows him to be not fit for purpose. 
  • I could go on with the state of the stadium, the poor corporate offer, the abject communication with his customers.

In summary Waggott, very poor, here is your P45.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Boz said:

It will be interesting to see how the roles might be adapted and possibly lead to changes elsewhere at the Rovers. Surely many of the functions of the role as DOF will eradicate or lessen those tasks being performed elsewhere, plus hopefully be a big improvement on those previously. 

I can think specifically of two, though there might well be others too:-

- Chief Scout, has the current incumbent moved on and not been replaced? A saving to be made in this post?

- CEO, I assume that many of the roles which this new position of DOF have previously been performed (successful or otherwise, discussed below) by Steve Waggott. So might it be fair to anticipate a reduction in his hours/contract, even that he might indeed be surplus to requirements? Especially when appraising his performance in a number of areas in recent times

• Season ticket renewals and having his finger on the pulse of the product in one of England's most deprived areas?
  • Contracts; both those dished out to underperformers, but also the worrying and financially bonkers of allowing valuable contracts to be run down, without either obtaining extensions or cashing in by their sale. 
  • Transfer window successes - if we were led to believe that money has been available by the owners and they have never rejected any requests, why have we seen such failures in windows under his tenure, none more so than in January 2022 sat 2nd in an automatic promotion spot, knowing that important players would be absent through injury and a boost for promotion might very well have paid dividends, yet underwhelming bits and bob signings were made, offering little help/support.
  • Attempt at selling for residential development our training ground.
  • Manager replacement - quite frankly this has been farcical and more than any of the above highlights his ineptitude and shows him to be not fit for purpose. 
  • I could go on with the state of the stadium, the poor corporate offer, the abject communication with his customers.

In summary Waggott, very poor, here is your P45.

Well Venus was doing some of the roles, Waggot others if rumours of him basing himself at the STC are true.  Then we had Mowbray more of a club manager rather than 1st team manager and of course a head or recruitment.

This guy seems to have experience in plenty areas so he'll presumably dispense with the need for manager and assistant manager running the whole inside of the club.   And the CEO getting involved in recruitment beyond just agreeing wages and stuff, if that's what he does. Then there's the academy and it's managers, directors etc.

So it's a big job and presumably he'll be there to knit all that lot together so maybe no need for a head of recruitment now or assistant manager.  Waggot will probably go back to his 2 or 3 day week and whoever becomes in charge of the 1st team can concentrate on just that.

I hope it works.

• Like 2

Be interesting if this guy has the authority to put some pressure on the manager after a bad run unlike Mowbray ever experienced. Mowbrays best mates status with the CEO and complete lack of pressure despite terrible results was one of the most toxic things about the club in the last couple of years.

We'd have been in the play offs if someone gave Mowbray a kick up the arse at some point since January. It will be refreshing to see if he does...wont hold my breath just yet.

Edited by benhben
  • Like 3