BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Sporting Director / DOF

8 hours ago, JohnD said:

But he IS responsible for us failing to sign a striker, Hirst was clearly not up to the job.

For that alone he should go.

and he took full responsible for and I have to disagree that he should go. We are in year 1 of the footballing structure and we can't keep changing it. Its a big summer for him and JDT. We have to get the right signings in this summer 

8 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

You cannot legislate a player going back in his word having agreed to a loan deal.

You cannot legislate when the EFL ask a question that in my view is irrelevant in the final hour of the transfer window and when the question is responded to, albeit 8-10 minutes after the deadline has passed and then fail to use common sense in allowing the transfer(s) to go ahead.

You cannot legislate for a young and inexperienced player failing to complete his own paperwork correctly and then sending it off unaware he has made a basic error.

Changes are required in ownership and I retain a view that Rovers need a NEW CEO, a dynamic think out of the box type CEO who can bring the club wholly together to work within the current set up and finally a new secretary with competence attached to his CV!

was that player Undav? 

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, number one target for both GB and JDT....How can they get it so wrong, and with JDT being a striker by trade...worrying times.

Time was tight...surely Hirst was recommended as an up and coming youth england international striker and cheap and JDT just said yes of course with more strikers in this mind but the rest never happened. 

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and he took full responsible for and I have to disagree that he should go. We are in year 1 of the footballing structure and we can't keep changing it. Its a big summer for him and JDT. We have to get the right signings in this summer 

was that player Undav? 

Did you watch Undav at the weekend ? He looked like a fish riding a bike and missed what was a sitter. Took a good pen though after that so he must have something about him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Did you watch Undav at the weekend ? He looked like a fish riding a bike and missed what was a sitter. Took a good pen though after that so he must have something about him.

Yes I did but hard to make a proper judgement. He needs a run of games to be judge and I think he would score goals. He is barely playing at Brighton and I don't know why he didn;t come here as he wasn't going to look in there for me

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I did but hard to make a proper judgement. He needs a run of games to be judge and I think he would score goals. He is barely playing at Brighton and I don't know why he didn;t come here as he wasn't going to look in there for me

You’ve just judged Leaburn from a three minute highlight video 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tomphil said:

The main thing is are they going to try and build on this properly or just skirt round the edges again hiding behind 'project' talk ?

JDT has shown enough to deserve some proper backing so if Venkys, Broughton, Waggot and whoever don't push the boat as far as they can they all need to clear off imo.

Give this man the forwards he needs and a solid older Johnson type head to bring on to help see games out, then they've done their bit and it's all on him.

I think we all know what will really happen.

• Like 1

30 hours before the deadline, Undav was in the bag and O'brien had just been greenlighted leading to the negotiation of a complicated deal, the like of which I cannot recall seeing before.

Undav suddenly changed his mind about going out on loan and reading between the lines of 34 pages, there hadn't been clarity of responsibilities between the Director of Football role and the Company Secretary.

In my book as CEO, SW should have been totally clear the Company Secretary as Chief Legal Officer carries the can for all legal contract completion and submission.

Broughton publicly mea culpa means one of:

GB over stepping Silvester's responsibilities and Silvester washing his hands

Or

Silvester not making sure things were water tight and using standard level clerking procedures to make sure paperwork was complete and on time then pointing out a clause in the DoF job description ascribing all transfer responsibilities to GB.

My immediate reaction when the missed deadline became clear was why the ..... are Rovers employing a full time Company Secretary for something as basic as this to slip through?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philipl said:

30 hours before the deadline, Undav was in the bag and O'brien had just been greenlighted leading to the negotiation of a complicated deal, the like of which I cannot recall seeing before.

Undav and O'Brien would have been the difference.

O'Brien signing should have happened and we should have had back up plans for Undav.

• Like 2

On 26/04/2023 at 11:01, 1864roverite said:

You cannot legislate when the EFL ask a question that in my view is irrelevant in the final hour of the transfer window and when the question is responded to, albeit 8-10 minutes after the deadline has passed and then fail to use common sense in allowing the transfer(s) to go ahead.

I'd missed this until @Sweaty Gussets pulled you up on it but how can you tell me I CLEARLY don't know what's going on and to read up on it, and then post this when the timeline is out.

21:48 was the last contact with the EFL in relation to the contract, but we didn't make another move until 22:54.

Why did we sit on that for 66 minutes before we then started submitting documents? Also, could other documents not have been submitted during this period whilst the playing contract was amended? 

The answer will be "Well that's Silvester's job to submit things", but what do we think he is doing? Watching the post game interviews? Making a brew? I'm not having he missed it because he just did nothing for around an hour and tried to rush it in the last 10 minutes.

Something causes a delay in that hour, and I suspect it's because GB and SW have to be involved in agreeing something. We simply do not know what as the club have not properly outlined what happened. The only official thing we have is Broughton accepts responsibility, which I take at face value and suspect he is at least partly culpable.

Timeline.jpg

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, philipl said:

Undav suddenly changed his mind about going out on loan and reading between the lines of 34 pages, there hadn't been clarity of responsibilities between the Director of Football role and the Company Secretary.

In my book as CEO, SW should have been totally clear the Company Secretary as Chief Legal Officer carries the can for all legal contract completion and submission.

Broughton publicly mea culpa means one of:

GB over stepping Silvester's responsibilities and Silvester washing his hands

Or

Silvester not making sure things were water tight and using standard level clerking procedures to make sure paperwork was complete and on time then pointing out a clause in the DoF job description ascribing all transfer responsibilities to GB

My immediate reaction when the missed deadline became clear was why the ..... are Rovers employing a full time Company Secretary for something as basic as this to slip through?

Only Waggott and Silvester have the authority to sign the transfer documentation so I don’t think this is a realistic hypothesis.

12 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Only Waggott and Silvester have the authority to sign the transfer documentation so I don’t think this is a realistic hypothesis.

Fair point which circles back to GB stepping forward to taking the blame for something in EFL rules he is not responsible for...

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Fair point which circles back to GB stepping forward to taking the blame for something in EFL rules he is not responsible for...

"Hi Greg, we still need info from you, Steve and the player to complete this form. We've only got about an hour left to submit"

"No problem Ian. Let me contact Steve down at St Andews and I'll get back to you".

(60 minutes of inactivity ensues)

Edited by Hasta

Has Waggott spoken publicly since this debacle? Other than pre-set questions before a small group of fans in the Forum?

There's leadership for you - hiding away in his office, radio silence and letting subordinates take the blame.

• Like 2

Leaving the O’Brien debacle aside, the biggest issue is Broughton’s miserable failure to bring in a centre forward. Sob stories around players “going back on their word” are just bad excuses and people need to stop making them. Likewise people claiming “it’s difficult signing players in January”. Bollocks. Other teams manage it. He had time, he had funds apparently, he has failed in the most fundamental part of his job. 

• Like 9

I'm surprised anyone genuinely believes that funds were available to get what was needed. At best perhaps some 'flex' on wages to bring in a loan like Undav. Nothing more.

It has been the same old boring story each and every January for the last 5-6 years. Claims that funds are available, claims that the owners are backing the club, claims that good players are being lined up. Assombalonga time.

They talk the talk, but when it comes to actually getting things done it fails to happen. I don't believe that its a coincidence. We are just run by bullshitters who like people to believe they are serious and have money available from the great and wonderful Venkys but when it actually comes to handing the money over they go missing.

Look at Waggott and his performances since he arrived. He's talked about a new training ground, a new desso pitch, a new Riverside stand. And what has he delivered? A rotting Ewood, the worst pitch in the league, a grubby scheme to sell off Brockhall and continual price hikes to meet his personal targets. Talks the talk but under the surface he's here to do one thing and one thing only - justify his employment by saving the Indians money.

Spending money in January runs contrary to everything we have seen and heard. What good does it do Waggott? The owners are uncontactable on the other side of the world and have set their annual budgets. Where does the money come from if it doesn't fit within the strict boundaries of the annual budget set the previous summer? Is Waggott going to get on the phone to Mrs Desai and put an argument forward for her to cough up more cash? Is he hell.

• Like 3

In my view, the buck should stop with the person at the top, Waggott, and it's him who I want to hear about the January '23 transfer deadline debacle.

An explanation as to why he considered that it was a good idea for him to be at St Andrews, whilst his new DOF who admitted that he had limited experience in the English FA/EFL/PL transfer deadline process, was left to get those essential new players required to fill the obvious gaps. Alongside him he had the long standing club secretary Silvester (at Ewood or Brockhall?) who ultimately is responsible for generating and submitting the necessary paperwork, in accordance with the outline process, yet he might have a uninspiring previous track records in completing transfers to meet the deadlines.

Waggott was at the fans forum meeting when the opportunity was there to drill down into what occurred and who might be responsible, yet from the minutes he was conspicuously silent on that topic. Leaving it to his fall guy Broughton, although we did glean which team he supported and why he chose to join Rovers, along with side tracking the discussion into asking the forum members questions. 

Waggott should go, if not for the above, but for all the poor performances outlined elsewhere, which have backed up a below average CV, yet he talks a good talk.

I am anticipating a quiet announcement in the next few weeks that it will be someone else who will depart, with thanks for all the years service as club secretary of Blackburn Rovers, along with a tidy severance package. 

Undav, O'Brien and a promising youngster would had a major impact on where Rovers might finish the season, if a play off place is missed, I place full responsibility on Waggott. 

The biggest problem is when Waggott eventually goes, presumably when he wants to, someone similarly incompetent and lacking in any power will replace him. The issues all stem from the owners.

Also @Miller11 regarding the sob stories about transfers, totally agree. Sadly, a sign of the acceptance of low standards that has inevitably strangled our fanbase. Hence why many came off having watched our local rivals win their 6th successive game against us to seal the title at Ewood and go 30 points clear of us with an overwhelming feeling of pride. 

• Like 5