BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Sporting Director / DOF

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The biggest problem is when Waggott eventually goes, presumably when he wants to, someone similarly incompetent and lacking in any power will replace him. The issues all stem from the owners.

Also @Miller11 regarding the sob stories about transfers, totally agree. Sadly, a sign of the acceptance of low standards that has inevitably strangled our fanbase. Hence why many came off having watched our local rivals win their 6th successive game against us to seal the title at Ewood and go 30 points clear of us with an overwhelming feeling of pride. 

Pride in the performance, not pride in the way the club is run behind the scene. Your ability to conflate separate issues to try score points never fails to amuse me. 

37 minutes ago, Boz said:

In my view, the buck should stop with the person at the top, Waggott, and it's him who I want to hear about the January '23 transfer deadline debacle.

An explanation as to why he considered that it was a good idea for him to be at St Andrews, whilst his new DOF who admitted that he had limited experience in the English FA/EFL/PL transfer deadline process, was left to get those essential new players required to fill the obvious gaps. Alongside him he had the long standing club secretary Silvester (at Ewood or Brockhall?) who ultimately is responsible for generating and submitting the necessary paperwork, in accordance with the outline process, yet he might have a uninspiring previous track records in completing transfers to meet the deadlines.

Waggott was at the fans forum meeting when the opportunity was there to drill down into what occurred and who might be responsible, yet from the minutes he was conspicuously silent on that topic. Leaving it to his fall guy Broughton, although we did glean which team he supported and why he chose to join Rovers, along with side tracking the discussion into asking the forum members questions. 

Waggott should go, if not for the above, but for all the poor performances outlined elsewhere, which have backed up a below average CV, yet he talks a good talk.

I am anticipating a quiet announcement in the next few weeks that it will be someone else who will depart, with thanks for all the years service as club secretary of Blackburn Rovers, along with a tidy severance package. 

Undav, O'Brien and a promising youngster would had a major impact on where Rovers might finish the season, if a play off place is missed, I place full responsibility on Waggott. 

Correct. The buck stops at the top. As chief Waggott takes that role.

Whether or not Broughton cocked up is almost immaterial.

Waggott is the boss. At least that's what his job title and salary shows. There is nobody above him (officially) in the chain of command.

Waggott presumably appointed these people to their positions and if there was a season-derailing failure then he should take responsibility for that and either admit he got it wrong by appointing them and resign or alternatively ring the changes to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Instead the show rolls on. Nothing has happened. Waggott hides away whilst people lower down the chain take the blame and the same people remain in place.

Tells me they aren't too bothered with how January went.

• Like 1

They aren't bothered at all they didn't spend and the cock ups saved them a fortune so it's a bit less in the debt column on the spreadsheet.

We'll finish similar to last season so they can squawk 'great season buy a ST for next season now and we'll knock you a monumental 20 quid off'.  Then the prices go up again for late deciders and newbies which covers the £20 anyway.

Income maintained, spending in Jan compared to last season non, happy days for the bean counting fat controller.  Eeks another year and few hundred grand out of it at least. 

Why is he bothered where we finish now or next season he really has no need to be.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They aren't bothered at all they didn't spend and the cock ups saved them a fortune so it's a bit less in the debt column on the spreadsheet.

We'll finish similar to last season so they can squawk 'great season buy a ST for next season now and we'll knock you a monumental 20 quid off'.  Then the prices go up again for late deciders and newbies which covers the £20 anyway.

Income maintained, spending in Jan compared to last season non, happy days for the bean counting fat controller.  Eeks another year and few hundred grand out of it at least. 

Why is he bothered where we finish now or next season he really has no need to be.

....and Venky's continue to allow it to happen.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Only thing I've learned from that is that Waggot showed up at Charlton when they were in the Prem, and by the time he left they were in league one and drastically doing cost cutting measures.

• Like 1

There's also a new Head of Commercial called Paul Fielder, however I'm not sure he's even real.

I sent in two separate queries which were referred to him by two different members of staff (fair enough), but he didn't even have the decency to respond. Don't think he'll be getting a job in Communications anytime soon the ignorant sod. Thought we were shut of people like that.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Ben-2000 said:

There's also a new Head of Commercial called Paul Fielder, however I'm not sure he's even real.

I sent in two separate queries which were referred to him by two different members of staff (fair enough), but he didn't even have the decency to respond. Don't think he'll be getting a job in Communications anytime soon the ignorant sod. Thought we were shut of people like that.

We're shut of that twat, thank God.

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Leaving the O’Brien debacle aside, the biggest issue is Broughton’s miserable failure to bring in a centre forward. Sob stories around players “going back on their word” are just bad excuses and people need to stop making them. Likewise people claiming “it’s difficult signing players in January”. Bollocks. Other teams manage it. He had time, he had funds apparently, he has failed in the most fundamental part of his job. 

Yes failure to bring in quality striker on loan was costly and not good enough which GB took full responsible for. We still had time to sign one even in the final 2 or 3 days of the window, Why didn't go for Josh Maja for a cheap fee or look to take over Boro's loan deal for Fulham's striker Rodrigo Muniz or Sory Kaba who signed on deadline day for Cardiff from Danish Club FC Midtjylland

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The biggest problem is when Waggott eventually goes, presumably when he wants to, someone similarly incompetent and lacking in any power will replace him. The issues all stem from the owners.

Also @Miller11 regarding the sob stories about transfers, totally agree. Sadly, a sign of the acceptance of low standards that has inevitably strangled our fanbase. Hence why many came off having watched our local rivals win their 6th successive game against us to seal the title at Ewood and go 30 points clear of us with an overwhelming feeling of pride. 

plenty of pride in a good overall performance against them despite result outcome. 

they should be winning league given all the money they spent and wages they have been paying

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes failure to bring in quality striker on loan was costly and not good enough which GB took full responsible for. We still had time to sign one even in the final 2 or 3 days of the window, Why didn't go for Josh Maja for a cheap fee or look to take over Boro's loan deal for Fulham's striker Rodrigo Muniz or Sory Kaba who signed on deadline day for Cardiff from Danish Club FC Midtjylland

plenty of pride in a good overall performance against them despite result outcome. 

they should be winning league given all the money they spent and wages they have been paying

Does signing Hirst and then no one at all not put any doubt in your minf as to whether Broughton can bring in a striker in the summer?

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Does signing Hirst and then no one at all not put any doubt in your minf as to whether Broughton can bring in a striker in the summer?

It certainly does me!

I accept it’s hard to get a decent striker in when you are in the loan and freebie market. 

However we supposedly offered Diaz a lucrative 1 year deal to stay another year and were prepared to pay O’Brien prem wages for 6 months so there must be some money in the pot and still be able to avoid coming a cropper over ffp?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, toogs said:

It certainly does me!

I accept it’s hard to get a decent striker in when you are in the loan and freebie market. 

However we supposedly offered Diaz a lucrative 1 year deal to stay another year and were prepared to pay O’Brien prem wages for 6 months so there must be some money in the pot and still be able to avoid coming a cropper over ffp?

On present performances you would have to say, we dodged a bullet with Brereton.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

no. Rovers will sign a striker or two in this window and Rovers have been doing their research on who they want. 

GB has already spoken on how we recruit and the lists are ready to go depending on what division. 

GB came in during the summer with no recruitment team in place. Hirst look a good option which didn't work out tho he playing well and scoring for Ipswich now in league 1. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a player at a club. We also a deal in place and accept by Brighton and Undav to come here before he U-turn and back out of the deal

Edited by chaddyrovers

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no. Rovers will sign a striker or two in this window and Rovers have been doing their research on who they want. 

GB has already spoken on how we recruit and the lists are ready to go depending on what division. 

GB came in during the summer with no recruitment team in place. Hirst look a good option which didn't work out tho he playing well and scoring for Ipswich now in league 1. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a player at a club. We also a deal in place and accept by Brighton and Undav to come here before he U-turn and back out of the deal

I cant fathom how even messing up 2 goes at getting us a decent striker doesnt in any way reduce your faith in the chance of getting it spot on third time.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant fathom how even messing up 2 goes at getting us a decent striker doesnt in any way reduce your faith in the chance of getting it spot on third time.

I explained my reasons there in previous post. What more you need? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or the alternative explanation is that the budget was so tight that the likes of Hirst and Mola,cheap loans that their parent clubs were more than happy to sanction so we took them off their hands, were seen as the best/only option for us.

The cheaper and more desperate you go the less likely it is you hit the jackpot. That's why a rival in Middlesbrough went and got Archer and Ramsey in the window and we spent all month 'chasing' Undav before he supposedly changed his mind.

This summer will be more of the same. Of course they want and need a striker, anyone with any interest in Rovers will want one. But getting one of any quality with no backing from India and a strictly capped wage bill - difficult if not impossible. So that's when the PL loans come into the equation (again). Avoids a capital outlay and commitment to decent wages.

If in doubt just blame FFP rules, moving goalposts from the selling club/player/agent, the weather or the tea lady forgetting to put milk in his brew, whatever pops into the head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Or the alternative explanation is that the budget was so tight that the likes of Hirst and Mola,cheap loans that their parent clubs were more than happy to sanction so we took them off their hands, were seen as the best/only option for us.

We were linked Hirst very early on after GB and JDT appointments 

The cheaper and more desperate you go the less likely it is you hit the jackpot. That's why a rival in Middlesbrough went and got Archer and Ramsey in the window and we spent all month 'chasing' Undav before he supposedly changed his mind.

Undav changed his mind mid-January was reported in the media 

This summer will be more of the same. Of course they want and need a striker, anyone with any interest in Rovers will want one. But getting one of any quality with no backing from India and a strictly capped wage bill - difficult if not impossible. So that's when the PL loans come into the equation (again). 

Some good quality strikers on the free agency market like Maja or Healey

I'd like to think Hirst was coming in as a back up option with chance to prove himself then we might buy him and he'd step up next season.

However the more you read past comments i'm not so sure it doesn't look like they thought he was a cheap ready made answer to the lack of a proper centre striker.

Poor call if so.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'd like to think Hirst was coming in as a back up option with chance to prove himself then we might buy him and he'd step up next season.

However the more you read past comments i'm not so sure it doesn't look like they thought he was a cheap ready made answer to the lack of a proper centre striker.

Poor call if so.

You have to wonder if they actually scouted Hirst, or just looked at a good bits video.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You haven't explained how your judgement isn't affected by how Broughton has done so far but fair enough.

As I said last night, GB came in during the summer with no recruitment team in place. Hirst look a good option which didn't work out tho he playing well and scoring for Ipswich now in league 1. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a player at a club. We also a deal in place and accept by Brighton and Undav to come here before he U-turn and back out of the deal. Can't blame for the Undav deal but we should have other targets. 

The O'Brien fiasco as that wasn't in his department but he was man enough to take the blame when others should have face up. 

Now looking to the summer GB has already spoken on how we recruit and the lists are ready to go depending on what division. 

Why should it affected tho when you understand what has happened and some of it is out of control? Some of the best managers have made poor signings in the past but did people question their judgement? 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We also a deal in place and accept by Brighton and Undav to come here before he U-turn and back out of the deal. Can't blame for the Undav deal but we should have other targets. 

It’s naive at best to assume a deal is done before it’s signed and ratified, so it’s no excuse at all. Broughton should know better and there’s no excuse for his failings in January.

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As I said last night, GB came in during the summer with no recruitment team in place. Hirst look a good option which didn't work out tho he playing well and scoring for Ipswich now in league 1. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a player at a club. We also a deal in place and accept by Brighton and Undav to come here before he U-turn and back out of the deal. Can't blame for the Undav deal but we should have other targets. 

The O'Brien fiasco as that wasn't in his department but he was man enough to take the blame when others should have face up. 

Now looking to the summer GB has already spoken on how we recruit and the lists are ready to go depending on what division. 

Why should it affected tho when you understand what has happened and some of it is out of control? Some of the best managers have made poor signings in the past but did people question their judgement? 

Every club will have lists, obviously every club is planning but it doesnt mean those players will be good or indeed actually will sign.

People surely base their judgement on the % of successes to failure. In terms of getting a striker, Broughtons success rate is 0% so I have obviously dont have total faith in him but hopefully it will be third time lucky. I don't swallow the endless excuses offered up. This summers excuse could be that the new head of recruitment is new.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Every club will have lists, obviously every club is planning but it doesnt mean those players will be good or indeed actually will sign.

People surely base their judgement on the % of successes to failure. In terms of getting a striker, Broughtons success rate is 0% so I have obviously dont have total faith in him but hopefully it will be third time lucky. I don't swallow the endless excuses offered up. This summers excuse could be that the new head of recruitment is new.

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else - Benjamin Franklin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

It’s naive at best to assume a deal is done before it’s signed and ratified, so it’s no excuse at all. Broughton should know better and there’s no excuse for his failings in January.

The deal was agreed and the player agreed before he had a chance of heart. He has just scored 2 goals today. 

We should have signed a striker in January. Do you blame him for the administration problem with the contract?