BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

39 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Did he though? Let's not forget that most of our worst spells happened during Covid, and by the time the fans could come back properly, we looked like we had a half decent chance of at least getting a play off spot.

I'm sure there was a poll on here a couple of seasons back which asked if people wanted either or both of Mowbray & Waggott out, and it was literally 90-95% who wanted him gone. Obviously that's not going to be representative of all match going fans, but playing behind closed doors definitely helped shield him from any fan reaction when we were at our worst. 

We’ll never know if without lockdown the fans would’ve turned. But there can surely be no arguments that he received very little grief from match goers over his tenure. Like I said JDT has had more pelters already.

Very lucky guy. But anyway, let’s move on from the miserable sod.

• Like 4

I think he's a fantastic Head Coach / Manager. My only real criticism is that he's reluctant to use subs.

At full time against Reading (a game that we should have run away with - but he can't score the goals himself!) Szmodics, Gallagher and Travis all dropped to their haunches exhausted.

He could easily have put Garrett and Wharton on for 10 minutes at the end to add energy / save Szmodics / Travis. 

We're going to really, really struggle in April if he continues to be so reluctant to use the subs. 

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 07:09, M_B said:

It isn't a case of being "wrong", nobody knows how he would have fared this season, although some will obviously convince themselves. 

On the other side of the argument, we have those who refuse to admit that he left us in a healthy position, despite the fact that we have been top 6 virtually all season. 

As roversfan99 says above, it's probably somewhere in the middle, but the middle ground is something of a rarity when it comes to discussing Mowbray. 

Too many people want to be seen to be "right" when discussing him, to have a rational conversation. 

You only have to look at what's happening at Sunderland right now to know what sort of a manager he is. Well rid.

He's having to extract everything he can from the senior players he has left.

This is the main reason the likes of Trav, Szmodics, Gallagher are running themselves into the ground playing every week.

If the Club had backed him with a couple of additions in January or even a free agent or two since January then he might have the luxury of being able to throw someone with experience on for the last 20 minutes in games but he wasn't backed and we don't have that option.

So far it has caused Dack to be out long term when the manager tried his best to balance game time with keeping him out of harm's way - he was booed and jeered for trying to do so - and we've had to manage without Dack for the last month just as he was hitting form.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think he's a fantastic Head Coach / Manager. My only real criticism is that he's reluctant to use subs.

At full time against Reading (a game that we should have run away with - but he can't score the goals himself!) Szmodics, Gallagher and Travis all dropped to their haunches exhausted.

He could easily have put Garrett and Wharton on for 10 minutes at the end to add energy / save Szmodics / Travis. 

We're going to really, really struggle in April if he continues to be so reluctant to use the subs. 

That is how it should be.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

He's having to extract everything he can from the senior players he has left.

This is the main reason the likes of Trav, Szmodics, Gallagher are running themselves into the ground playing every week.

If the Club had backed him with a couple of additions in January or even a free agent or two since January then he might have the luxury of being able to throw someone with experience on for the last 20 minutes in games but he wasn't backed and we don't have that option.

So far it has caused Dack to be out long term when the manager tried his best to balance game time with keeping him out of harm's way - he was booed and jeered for trying to do so - and we've had to manage without Dack for the last month just as he was hitting form.

To be honest its pretty plain to see now we couldn't play the way we are with Dack in the team. Szmodics coming back completely changed how the team works for the better.

Dacks a great player but the athletic demands of the system are huge and I cant really see where Dack fits in were he to become available again.

Looks more and more to me that we've probably seen the last game Dack has had in blue and white whether we go up or not.

34 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Not when it's a squad game and you have 8 matches in a month coming up with 3 unused subs.

A little issue of a winning goal to get and then defend.

With the best will in the world, even the best players usually take a minute or two to get into the game when coming off the subs bench and we didn't have that luxury last night.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I honestly don't believe the majority wanted him gone at all.

Definitely not the case on here, but even so. We win a game to put us 5 points clear of 7th with 9 games to go, and your first comment is about Tony Mowbray?

3 hours ago, SBlue said:

I'd agree if our bench didn't have such little experience. These are big games now with big moments and throwing on 18 year olds could be risky.

Definitely a worry. Tomasson seemingly feels short changed as he mentioned the window again in his pre game press conference, and the lack of depth post match.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Definitely not the case on here, but even so. We win a game to put us 5 points clear of 7th with 9 games to go, and your first comment is about Tony Mowbray?

Definitely a worry. Tomasson seemingly feels short changed as he mentioned the window again in his pre game press conference, and the lack of depth post match.

The goings on, or lack of them, in the last transfer window are a big “ added degree of difficulty “. 

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

To be honest its pretty plain to see now we couldn't play the way we are with Dack in the team. Szmodics coming back completely changed how the team works for the better.

Dacks a great player but the athletic demands of the system are huge and I cant really see where Dack fits in were he to become available again.

Looks more and more to me that we've probably seen the last game Dack has had in blue and white whether we go up or not.

Tomasson said Dack should be back after the international break. 

The conundrum is that Dack would probably have filled his boots last night, but would the chances have come if he'd been on the pitch? 

The question is, how do you leave out your best finisher? 

• Like 1

Dack will definitely have a apart to play in the final month or so of the season, the players aren't robots unfortunately, there will have to be changes at some point. There is no way we Szmodics for example is going to start all of them.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Dack will definitely have a apart to play in the final month or so of the season, the players aren't robots unfortunately, there will have to be changes at some point. There is no way we Szmodics for example is going to start all of them.

Dack and Szmodic play different types of game. Dack brings sharpness in the box. Szmodic brings energy in midfield. It depends how JDT wants to play it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

Dack and Szmodic play different types of game. Dack brings sharpness in the box. Szmodic brings energy in midfield. It depends how JDT wants to play it.

Yeah,

What i am saying is that they will both, and probably the whole squad will have there part to play in April considering we have 8 games that month.

8 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah,

What i am saying is that they will both, and probably the whole squad will have there part to play in April considering we have 8 games that month.

I would say that unless there is an injury to one of our forwards, Dack won't be considered.

He obviously will be considered, he was our best player up until his injury and brings goals and experience.

Of course, that consideration will likely be initially be as a sub whilst he regains fitness ready in anticipation to share the duties more with Szmodics should the latter's form drop.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Give JDT a new contract. He has moved this club forward so far in 9 months

Something it was obvious to anyone with an ounce of foresight knew Mowbray wasn’t doing after 2.5 seasons with us. Experts on here knew better though. 

• Like 3