BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

You said it was based on recent results? Dyche didn't get sacked from Burnley because he was getting good results. 

Anyway, you've been given good examples by others of why your comment about Championship managers 'only' finishing 7th wouldn't get Prem jobs was a bit wide of the mark. To save you further embarrassment we'll leave it there. 

I will continue to hold the opinion that JDT will not yet be seen to have done well enough to attract Prem interest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I will continue to hold the opinion that JDT will not yet be seen to have done well enough to attract Prem interest. 

And you are welcome to that opinion, but if you're correct it will have nothing to do with him 'only; finishing 7th in the Championship, as recent PL managerial appointments have shown.

1 minute ago, Neilbristol said:

Hope he gets some backing this summer. Must be frustrating being a "coach" and not involved in transfers

JDT is head coach not a manager tho. He's like that way. Most foriegn coaches are head coaches. 

He is involved in transfers like decide who we finally target but not in the early stages

5 minutes ago, philipl said:

JDT is a class act.

He has produced a wonderful season for us and I am really looking forward to a promotion push under him next season. 

Yeah, I'll have really fond memories of a season where we got absolutely humiliated by Burnley, Preston, relegated Reading, Rotherham, Luton, Coventry etc, played some of the worst football I've ever seen for over half a season and blew the chance of play-offs by winning 1 "cup final" out of 9. 

Not a chance we finish any higher than this next season, especially with the teams coming down and I have no faith that this football is at all effective over a season at this level.

• Like 5

Just now, RTM08 said:

Yeah, I'll have really fond memories of a season where we got absolutely humiliated by Burnley, Preston, relegated Reading, Rotherham, Luton, Coventry etc, played some of the worst football I've ever seen for over half a season and blew the chance of play-offs by winning 1 "cup final" out of 9. 

Not a chance we finish any higher than this next season, especially with the teams coming down and I have no faith that this football is at all effective over a season at this level.

i`ve enjoyed it more than mowbrays shite,when jdt finally realised you can`t play walking football in england we`ve played some cracking stuff from january onwards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think JDT came to the Championship knowing that it was the quickest route to a Premier League job - either via promotion, or by doing well. I agree that a Premier League club won't come knocking for his services, but a Championship club with a sizeable budget and a staff that can get signings over the line at crucial times would surely attract him.

Leeds will be the biggest worry, should they drop. You could also consider Norwich and how Wagner hasn't exactly ripped things up there, should they fancy to pot him. Just thinking out loud.

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, philipl said:

JDT is a class act.

He has produced a wonderful season for us and I am really looking forward to a promotion push under him next season. 

I think you have been watching Rovers a long time , like me .

That was NOT a wonderful season , in anyway shape or form...

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i`ve enjoyed it more than mowbrays shite,when jdt finally realised you can`t play walking football in england we`ve played some cracking stuff from january onwards

LOL. Yeah it's been wonderful since January!

13 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Haha. Spot on 

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I think JDT came to the Championship knowing that it was the quickest route to a Premier League job - either via promotion, or by doing well. I agree that a Premier League club won't come knocking for his services, but a Championship club with a sizeable budget and a staff that can get signings over the line at crucial times would surely attract him.

Leeds will be the biggest worry, should they drop. You could also consider Norwich and how Wagner hasn't exactly ripped things up there, should they fancy to pot him. Just thinking out loud.

I would agree with you Leeds would be attractive and with the parachute payments they could afford to buy out JDT's contract. However Leeds are difficult to read because the US influence on the club could mean just about any kind of manager will be appointed. I think Norwich will give Wagner time; they did give Farke time when he arrived and it took Wagner a while to get things going at Huddersfield.

30 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

I’m guessing you have really enjoyed the previous decade plus then 🙄

two cup runs not good enough? West Ham and Leicester wins?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, imy9 said:

The cup runs were fine (even if we did throw the quarter final) but I'd have traded both of them for the extra point we needed. At the end of the day we're not going to win either cup so the league has to take priority.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, imy9 said:

I have fond memories of smashing west ham 7-1. That was a game to remember. 

Beating them on penalties in the league cup? Big deal. How anyone could have enjoyed the previous decade is beyond me. 12 years of total failure. 

Obviously I hope JDT stays on and is backed. 

Unfortunately I can't see either of those things happening. 

2 years on his contract so are clubs who might look his way really going to pay that kind of compen ?

So unless he buys himself out or has an unknown clause in there then he'll not be going anywhere. The most important thing is if his heart is still in it and he believes we can progress.

That's on those running it but more cuts will end any notion of progress or ambition. If Dack and Ayala leave on the back of BBD that's  considerable wages freed up so simply put it's an absolute must it's all reinvested not just chopped from the budget.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He's accomplished more in his first season than Mowbray managed in 4 years at this level with less money, less time and less options at his disposal.

We can but wonder what this manager might have made with Armstrong, Elliott, Rothwell and others at his disposal.

Nevertheless 7th represents our highest league finish in over a decade of Venky created misery coupled with our two best cup runs in a long time, and but for the finest of margins in cup and league it could have been considerably better.

The bloke has done very well in my opinion, and I really worry about the future if he departs or if there is no backing in the summer.

Leaving the club in the hands of the shysters upstairs and further cuts will leave us looking over our shoulders.

This club is a rotting carcass of what it once was. Maggott and co are merely scavengers feeding off the scraps.

• Like 1

For any manager to achieve 7th with an arm tied behind his back, is a minor miracle. The chaos in January, is typical of the way the club have operated, since these owners rolled into town.

Yes, he has made mistakes, the biggest one probably not giving Wharton his head, but the costly mistakes were not down to him.

I would be sad to lose him now, as I think we are 3-4 good signings away from having a decent side for next season. 

Edited by lraC
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

The most important thing is if his heart is still in it and he believes we can progress.

Agreed. 

I'm sure JDT will be weighing it up in the next few weeks, and no doubt be seeking assurances from the club.

Even if another club doesn't come in for him, that doesn't necessarily mean he won't leave.

He left Malmo without another job to go to.

We can only hope he stays and we build on this not great but encouraging season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lraC said:

For any manager to achieve 7th with an arm tied behind his back, is a minor miracle. The chaos in January, is typical of the way the club have operated, since these owners rolled into town.

Yes, he has made mistakes, the biggest one probably not giving Wharton his head, but the costly mistakes were not down to him.

I would be sad to lose him now, as I think we are 3-4 good signings away from having a decent side for next season. 

I agree. 

You say it as if it's past tense. We still have the same useless owners and that won't change regardless of JDT. Think he will be even more frustrated after the summer?!

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

More interesting for what he doesn't say, eg "The work begins now for next season".

Yeah I don't think we can read much into it. What a day and what a game. JDT doesn't mention the future in any of his pressers..even after Jan he was never saying "in the summer we will be better etc" 

• Like 1