BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I mean what he inherited, ie last summer. Although the squad now is still definitely better than what Coyle left.

That squad was shocking. Lowe, Guthrie and Akpan in midfield. Greer, Brown, Hendrie, Emnes, Stokes etc.

Look at the current midfield. Greer was in his mid thirties and signed on a free from a fellow Championship club where he was captain, sound familiar? Stokes was no worse than Ennis. I'd take Emnes over Telaovic everyday of the week. 

I don't think there is much between our current squad and the squad that went down I'd say the one that went down was slightly stronger as it had some good experienced pro's life Mulgrew, Graham and Conway.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Look at the money Mowbray spent £12 Million on two players alone. JDT has had players bought for him by that clown Broughton with the biggest fee being a couple million. Mowbray also until his final season when Armstrong went never lost anyone of his key players. No sooner had JDT taken over and the club captain had gone along with our best midfielder. Then in this summer he lost his goalkeeper, his top scorer and now in the winter has lost his best midfielder. 

They are totally different situations to compare. Mowbray inherited a much worse squad and situation. We then had a season in League 1 limiting who we could bring in. Then he had money to spend on 3 players before a couple of summers where the purse strings were tightened and then his main players were sold/suffered career ruining injuries. Tomasson inherited a much better situation and had a bit of money to replace those out of contract. Not as much as Mowbray had but equally the squad at that side wasnt nearly as bad so it levels out. He this season has had it as rough as weve seen in years and we have gone as low as weve been in years as youd expect.

Both were decent managers for us and most likely the next man will be a downgrade on both.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Look at the current midfield. Greer was in his mid thirties and signed on a free from a fellow Championship club where he was captain, sound familiar? Stokes was no worse than Ennis. I'd take Emnes over Telaovic everyday of the week. 

I don't think there is much between our current squad and the squad that went down I'd say the one that went down was slightly stronger as it had some good experienced pro's life Mulgrew, Graham and Conway.

It had those 3 but it had a lot more crap and it didnt have players like Szmodics, JRC, Hyam, Wharton, (who we had for all but 1 game so far) Tronstad, Carter, Pickering, Dolan etc. Im basing on the half season prior to the Wharton sale.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

They are totally different situations to compare. Mowbray inherited a much worse squad and situation. We then had a season in League 1 limiting who we could bring in. Then he had money to spend on 3 players before a couple of summers where the purse strings were tightened and then his main players were sold/suffered career ruining injuries. Tomasson inherited a much better situation and had a bit of money to replace those out of contract. Not as much as Mowbray had but equally the squad at that side wasnt nearly as bad so it levels out. He this season has had it as rough as weve seen in years and we have gone as low as weve been in years as youd expect.

The only main player Mowbray lost during his tenure at the club was Adam Armstrong. His final season was the only season where the club received more in transfer fees than it spent.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Seriously, has this site got a direct link to Calderstones these days or something?? 

Owen Coyle, Brockhall Ping Pong Champion, was the catalyst and reason for relegation. Mowbray turned up well into February and a few games too late.  Anyone who thinks other than that isn't worth the conversation. 

Mowbray took us from a relegation place, up to 17th and 5pts clear by April. Then relegated us.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It had those 3 but it had a lot more crap and it didnt have players like Szmodics, JRC, Hyam, Wharton, (who we had for all but 1 game so far) Tronstad, Carter, Pickering, Dolan etc. Im basing on the half season prior to the Wharton sale.

Williams (player of the season that year if I remember correctly) was as good a full back as Pickering. Mulgrew was a better centre half than Hyam. Lenihan was a better centre half than Carter. I'd take Craig Conway on the wing over Dolan, much more end product.

It didn't have a player like Szmodics but it did have more goal scorers in it with Graham, a better version of Gallagher, Emnes and Joao. 

The midfield if you include Wharton (but we don't have him anymore) was stronger.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, booth said:

The project changing can't have helped can it? Or are you saying that wouldn't affect on-field matters, morale, generally pissing off some players who were settled and thought we were building a promotion chasing squad? Luton didn't have that, nor Sunderland, nor any of the teams in the play offs or promoted.

We finished 7th under one bloke but didn't under his predecessor who had much more time and money. I don't know how that is undermining Mowbray's appointment at the time. It's just what happened.

Good for them.

No one is making it out to be a high achievement, but it's the highest we've had so far in this league. You'd hope that with the same backing that other manager's under the V's have had, it could have turned out better.

Luton had been building for a long time and had two good strikers to get them promoted. They could have sold Adebayo but kept hold of him. Waggott wouldn't have done that.

You like to exaggerate don't you.

God/martyr.
7th is an achievement.
Acceptance and celebration of absolute mediocrity.

Looking forward to the next one, if your mind hasn't blown again.

Booth, genuinely, you don't half talk absolute bollocks and like a few others tonight, 3/4 of your argument is in your head. You've really got carried away with yourself and I don't like the tactic of trying to construct an opinion on my behalf.  My opinion has been clear.  It's gone from me saying Mowbray was a decent appointment for us...to people going full on Top Trumps, playing only with two shit cards.

RE JDT, there is post after post on here of posters saying 7th is a massive achievement.  Loads of them.  These folk completely undervalue us and see past the shite that has been in the play-offs when we have missed out.  It wasn't a strong league from Burnley down. Genuinely, only WE could've messed it up last season.

Other parts of your argument/reply is SO full of nonsense - so I have to reply. I am not defending David Gest's ill-fitting and bog-eyed corpse by any means, but seeing as you brought him up...did he sell OUR valuable striker Brereton at the very same time? No he didn't.  Other parts (re uncertainty). Not my argument but countless teams get promoted with players under clouds of uncertainty. Sheffield Utd had financial difficulties. Watford in the past had about 4 managers and loads of loanees. Even the Dingles have had a team half-full of short-term players.

The rest of what you say is the usual mis-guided smarm mixed with luke-warm wit - which is a shame. There is literally no point batting it back and forth with you when I wanted a grown up debate/chat. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened and now I'm reduced to discussing a limp failure finishing in 7th, over a boring failure finishing in 8th or 9th.  Ultimately, I am happy both moved on and I live in hope of an improvement.

My opinion is failure is failure.  None of it has been good enough and we are on the edge of disaster. We aren't going to agree and that's perfectly fine by me. If you fancy a civilized chat in the future, all good. If not, no problem either.  It's obvious though, I don't fit in with the hive mind on here.

All the best 👍 

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I mean what he inherited, ie last summer. Although the squad now is still definitely better than what Coyle left.

That squad was shocking. Lowe, Guthrie and Akpan in midfield. Greer, Brown, Hendrie, Emnes, Stokes etc.

I think we're splitting hairs as the current squad is shocking.  We'll look back on it and cringe. Wahlstedt, Pears, Markanday, Telelovic. Then you've got our so-called better players... Dolan, Hedges, Brittain, Gallagher, Pickering, Sigurdsson - the mediocre and the inconsistent. Then the kids, and other people's kids like Moran who just aren't ready yet. And two old lads, the crocked one and the ancient one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

He was brought in first of all to keep us up and he failed. So he certainly wasn't a good appointment in that respect. 

Have you noticed the massive cut in budget? Would you care to compare what Mowbray spent on players he wanted to what JDT has had spent for him by that clown Broughton?

JDT finished higher in 1 season here than Mowbray did in 6 despite having an inferior budget and not being able to bring in his own players. JDT also inherited a squad that had just lost it's player of the season and captain from the previous season.

But that's the whole point, only Hyam made an impact last season, to a much lesser degree Szmodics. Other than that, he inherited a squad which he took to 7th,some say he overachieved with that position, others say the opposite. 

I'm not so much comparing how they both did, but the situation they've left the club in. We'd all now take 7th bottom. 

You're making it a Mowbray v Tomasson thing, but Mowbray's situation was largely of his own making, Tomasson has been reliant on The Goonies. He's been badly let down, which is a shame because there's a good bloke there. 

It's just a good job that the club was as stable as it was, because Broughton and Co look to have taken us back 3 or 4 years. They've actually employed about 10 more people and made it worse. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, M_B said:

It's just a good job that the club was as stable as it was, because Broughton and Co look to have taken us back 3 or 4 years. They've actually employed about 10 more people and made it worse. 

The club has never been stable since the takeover, Broughton is merely a symptom of owners who in the last 13 years have taken the club back decades.

19 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'm not so much comparing how they both did, but the situation they've left the club in. We'd all now take 7th bottom. 

Mowbray's situation was largely of his own making, Tomasson has been reliant on The Goonies. 

In which case the two situations cannot be compared. Because as you acknowledge Mowbray had a lot of control of his situation whereas JDT has had little.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Booth, genuinely, you don't half talk absolute bollocks and like a few others tonight, 3/4 of your argument is in your head. You've really got carried away with yourself and I don't like the tactic of trying to construct an opinion on my behalf.

Well I didn't do that, and I'm not sure which part was "absolute bollocks" so I'll keep it simple.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

My opinion has been clear.  It's gone from me saying Mowbray was a decent appointment for us...to people going full on Top Trumps, playing only with two shit cards.

RE JDT, there is post after post on here of posters saying 7th is a massive achievement.  Loads of them.  These folk completely undervalue us and see past the shite that has been in the play-offs when we have missed out.  It wasn't a strong league from Burnley down. Genuinely, only WE could've messed it up last season.

It actually went from you saying Mowbray was a decent appointment for us, then slating Tomasson (who objectively, did one better in far less time with far less money). That's how I read it.

You will mess up with that lot at the top throwing down banana skins.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

There is literally no point batting it back and forth with you when I wanted a grown up debate/chat.

Some of your responses didn't reflect that, and in my earlier response I was succinct but instead of addressing that you chose to say I was undermining Mowbray's appointment, which I didn't and was besides the point. You also said that I was making 7th out as an achievement, when I was stating it as a fact. I ask a question and you say I'm constructing an argument for you. I get associated with posters saying JDT is a god/martyr, and all sorts of filibustering shite I didn't say.

Anyway, night shift over.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

Swag's deflection tactics are working, we've got a Mowbray discussion going 😁

You get invited to a "Secret" meeting with Swag, no agenda, with what's going on at the club right now? You'd be there at the drop of a hat surely?

Whatever the secret is, it won't be good news if Swag is involved.

Slimy cross eyed twat.

• Like 2

Thanks Glen.

Yes I wasn't targeted but sadly you weren't the only one to be subject to really nasty stuff back then.

Thank God your health is holding up.

The Mowbray compared with JDT posts are just willy waving in the big picture of things.

On the other threads, I have posted why my reading is this is a palace coup by Waggott against JDT forcing him out against Venkys wishes.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Swag's deflection tactics are working, we've got a Mowbray discussion going 😁

You get invited to a "Secret" meeting with Swag, no agenda, with what's going on at the club right now? You'd be there at the drop of a hat surely?

Whatever the secret is, it won't be good news if Swag is involved.

Slimy cross eyed twat.

From what Glen has said it sounds like they confirmed a lot of rumours but can neither confirm nor deny.

There wasn't anything that we didn't already know come to light.

He also said that Waggott got crucified. 

Either way it's not important, our attention needs to be 100% fixed on the Raos. 

• Like 3

I can only presume the top secret info from this meeting is the proposed managerial changes and I don't think people will be impressed. 

Can anyone confirm or deny that one of those people involved were present yesterday, or are the rumours bollocks?