BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not really I am tall person and I wouldn't want shorts that shorts. I thought the 70's and 80;s was gone

Not a chance of me. But shorts shouldn't being half way your thighs. Thoughts that look was the 70's and 80;s  

Everything style wise comes around if you wait long enough. As I said Stanley Mathews in the 1940’s was wearing the same sort of shorts as players are wearing now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Everything style wise comes around if you wait long enough. As I said Stanley Mathews in the 1940’s was wearing the same sort of shorts as players are wearing now.

i would never wear those types of shorts in a million years that you like wearing

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It does have some relevance. We won the World Cup wearing shorter shorts !

There’s nothing that optimises BRFCS pre season like arguing about the size of shorts

• Like 3

When I played football in the early 1960s if my shorts had have come down to within 2 inches above the knee cap I would have been laughed at and called "Grandad". Long shorts are what your grandad wore.

Same with beards. The only footballers who sported beards played in the 1800s. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bazza said:

When I played football in the early 1960s if my shorts had have come down to within 2 inches above the knee cap I would have been laughed at and called "Grandad". Long shorts are what your grandad wore.

Same with beards. The only footballers who sported beards played in the 1800s. 

I wouldn’t have fancied playing in shorts so long. Flapping around you knees as you run. If you’re bringing a pass down on your thigh I’d like to be able to see my thigh.

Jimmy Hill was the only one I can remember with a beard. Then Trevor Hockey.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

A geeky shorts question here, but Rovers related.

Around 8 or 9 years ago I tried to buy some Rovers shorts to play football in. They were the actual home kit shorts, not a training version. Anyway, tried them on only to find some strange inner lining within the shorts. Best way I can describe it is, it was a tight-ish material that would stick to the thighs, independent to the rest of the shorts. They felt uncomfortable so I didn't buy them.

I had loads of official Rovers shorts during the 90's and they weren't ever like that. They were just regular shorts from what I remember. When did we change to having these 'inner lining' type shorts? Does anybody know if they are still like that today?

On 25/06/2022 at 13:14, Exiled_Rover said:

One of the many problems I had with Mowbray is that every offseason was a firefighting / patchwork job just to assemble a squad - mostly by bringing in 5+ loanees.

He never actually built a squad, just survived year to year with loaned players.

In a way it's good that now the buck has stopped, JDT has almost a clean slate to work with (Ayala's ridiculous wages aside), but he has a lot to fix in a short time.

He didn’t build a squad because it’s not possible outside the PL. Any decent players will be off whenever they get a sniff of the PL.

Thats what annoyed me when Mowbray used to say he had a five year plan. Some fans believe it’s the way to go as well but it’s impossible.

A manager at Rovers has to go with whatever he has at any point in time. There’s just as much likelihood of next season’s squad being worse than this years, as there is of it being better. Rovers manager has to treat the squad at his disposal as the best squad he’s going to get. It’s too easy to have plans lasting years. Only one person benefits from that.

Edited by den
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, den said:

He didn’t build a squad because it’s not possible outside the PL. Any decent players will be off whenever they get a sniff of the PL.

Thats what annoyed me when Mowbray used to say he had a five year plan. Some fans believe it’s the way to go as well but it’s impossible.

A manager at Rovers has to go with whatever he has at any point in time. There’s just as much likelihood of next season’s squad being worse than this years, as there is of it being better. Rovers manager has to treat the squad at his disposal as the best squad he’s going to get. It’s too easy to have plans lasting years. Only one person benefits from that.

You can have some semblence of a longer term plan in terms of selling players for big money, always immediately replacing for cheaper and continuing that cycle. Sadly that is impossible under our terrible owners because of their regular habit of totally turning off the taps, which stops such a process in its tracks.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

You can have some semblence of a longer term plan in terms of selling players for big money, always immediately replacing for cheaper and continuing that cycle. Sadly that is impossible under our terrible owners because of their regular habit of totally turning off the taps, which stops such a process in its tracks.

I started watching rovers in 61 or 62. I don’t ever remember selling our best players and improving.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If somebody does spot a promising young player by time the owners have got their act together the player will have been picked up by somebody else.

12 hours ago, J*B said:

After getting slated for the discussing the weather at Brockhall the other day, I’m astonished you lot are getting away with size of shorts you like wearing. 

In our defence this fascinating debate was instigated by someone mentioning the shorts our new coach was wearing during training..

6 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Could be worse, there's a disturbing trend in rugby for forwards having agricultural mullets.

Hopefully JDT has more satorial class.

Having had a mullet myself back in the 80's when I had more hair I normally defend them  but agricultural mullets sound vaguely menacing...

11 hours ago, den said:

I started watching rovers in 61 or 62. I don’t ever remember selling our best players and improving.

11 hours ago, den said:

Speedy for Shearer?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

A geeky shorts question here, but Rovers related.

Around 8 or 9 years ago I tried to buy some Rovers shorts to play football in. They were the actual home kit shorts, not a training version. Anyway, tried them on only to find some strange inner lining within the shorts. Best way I can describe it is, it was a tight-ish material that would stick to the thighs, independent to the rest of the shorts. They felt uncomfortable so I didn't buy them.

I had loads of official Rovers shorts during the 90's and they weren't ever like that. They were just regular shorts from what I remember. When did we change to having these 'inner lining' type shorts? Does anybody know if they are still like that today?

I think you must have forgotten to take the plastic wrapping off 😀