BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 22-23

4 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

My view would obviously change should we ever get back there, but I have next to no interest in the Premier League. It's just a shopping competition between the mega rich and their play things.

Outside of watching the Rovers, I get my football fix watching La Liga. The error strewn Athletico/Barca game last night was quite exciting.

It's surely a bubble that must burst, if you consider how much clubs like West Ham and Everton have spent to poor effect this season (and in Everton's case, for maybe a few seasons). Player fees and wages are skyrocketing at the elite end and the quality of football is not necessarily rising proportionately with it. 

I would suspect that there is or will be a mental health crisis in the Premier League because given the money spent by pretty much every club, the pressure to win is only increasing. Clubs like Palace, Everton, West Ham have spend huge sums or have amazing players that are internationals and probably good enough for Champions League clubs, in some cases, yet, they languish, because the league is being rigged by money and the even wealthier.

There seems to be bigger expectations but, perhaps, less opportunities of success, because of the money at the elite end.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’ll come again. Have no doubt about that.

I doubt it. Some of the momentum behind the ESL  came from the American owners of clubs who wanted to transport the US model of team sports to football. It is noticeable that the American owners of Liverpool and Manchester United are selling up as they realise that it's not going to happen.

8 hours ago, DE. said:

At this point it'd just mean that Newcastle win the PL every season, so I don't think it'd help much. Best case scenario a few of the traditionally upper-middle PL teams end up with big foreign investment and we're back to where we started with a handful of teams competing and the rest existing.  

If the Super league comes back its money motivated so Newcastle and their Arab money will be invited to join it.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They will if they get chance. Pep and Klopp aren't going to say "I am gutted it didn't happen" are they?!

I think you will find that Klopp and Guardiola have been against the Euro Super League for years actually 

I think the failure of the ESL after fans in the country, the media and pundits reaction so angrily it shocked the owners of those 6 clubs. One of the key reasons why Manchester United and Liverpool are for sale now. PSG and Bayern are against the idea. 

The PL TV deal is mega money for PL teams where has Teams in Italy or Spain don't get that sort of money I believe from TV rights 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I think the Spanish rights have been on a club by club basis, so Barcelona and Real Madrid got tonnes of money, whilst Getafe got about €10. Not sure if that is still the case. Serie A should be back on Channel 4 though.

I don't know. 

I wish Serie A was on Channel 4 still tho

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, I was an avid watcher. Why did it go off ?

Cos they didn't buy the rights for it

23 hours ago, riverholmes said:

It's surely a bubble that must burst, if you consider how much clubs like West Ham and Everton have spent to poor effect this season (and in Everton's case, for maybe a few seasons). Player fees and wages are skyrocketing at the elite end and the quality of football is not necessarily rising proportionately with it. 

I would suspect that there is or will be a mental health crisis in the Premier League because given the money spent by pretty much every club, the pressure to win is only increasing. Clubs like Palace, Everton, West Ham have spend huge sums or have amazing players that are internationals and probably good enough for Champions League clubs, in some cases, yet, they languish, because the league is being rigged by money and the even wealthier.

There seems to be bigger expectations but, perhaps, less opportunities of success, because of the money at the elite end.

People have been saying that for nearly 30 years now.

The bubble with football and money will never burst aslong as you are in the top flight.

6 minutes ago, Silas said:

Chelsea go one down against Fulham.

Surely Potter is toast.

It's been an abysmal start for him.

Shame, seems a nice bloke. 

Far to early to even sack Potter. They need to continue to back him and the fact that Chelsea are in transition where Chelsea are buying young talent and aren't the Chelsea under Roman Abramovich

I would give him this season and next season to show his worth. I would give people look at Areata at Arsenal who 12/14 months ago want him out. Now look at them

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Far to early to even sack Potter. They need to continue to back him and the fact that Chelsea are in transition where Chelsea are buying young talent and aren't the Chelsea under Roman Abramovich

I would give him this season and next season to show his worth. I would give people look at Areata at Arsenal who 12/14 months ago want him out. Now look at them

2nd favourite with the bookies after Lampard Chaddy.

Both of them need some positive results soon or can see both gone before the season's over.

Never know Potter may turn this match round in the 2nd half. Unlikely though, Fulham look a good Prem outfit at the moment. And Chelsea are very disjointed. No flow to their play. 

Usual platitudes from owners and directors about a ‘transition period’ and ‘it’s a project’.

It isn’t ‘Abramovich’s Chelsea anymore’, yet they’ve spent £300 million in about eight months under this new fella!

He keeps losing games at a club like Chelsea and he’ll be gone sharpish, simple as that.

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom

Down to 10 men with the new lad sent off. 

Gutting for Potter after getting back into the game.

Kai Havertz is useless at picking out a player running into the final 3rd. Woeful for top level. Zero awareness. He did same at the weekend. But looks great for Germany.