BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Carabao Cup - next round, moving on - draw.

3 hours ago, neophox said:

Wonder if we have a clause to send Hirst back in january? Hasnt worked out at all.

They said he was their number one target....can't see them swallowing their pride if I'm honest.

A real push for promotion and showing some balls would be to send him back and get in Archer and Geldhardt for the promotion push

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Predicted Blackburn Rovers XI: Aynsley Pears; Joe Rankin-Costello, Ash Phillips, Scott Wharton, Tayo Edun; Jake Garrett, Adam Wharton, John Buckley; Dilan Markanday, George Hirst, Tyrhys Dolan

Lancs live reporter's guess at the team

Not the best side that is it 

JRC looked okay at the weekend but he had Hyam and Ayala to fall back on. Phillips might not be ready to give him the support he needs at full back 

The midfield isn’t bad. I wouldn’t be too fussed if we started with that 

But the front three is bad. I had huge hopes for Markanday but he’s got a lot to prove. Doesn’t seem good enough at all. Hirst can go for me - wasn’t impressed to begin with and not impressed now. But!!! we must learn from Brereton…… I really don’t want to make the same mistake of writing players off so early but I don’t have much faith for them two 

If we start with that squad it’ll be an uphill battle to win

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Your last paragraph suggests that you are going into this conversation with a confirmation bias over the unfair idea that I want to "rubbish our young lads" which means I am fighting an uphill battle to start.

I have been as critical as anyone lately at the exclusion of Adam Wharton, I try and judge the players as individuals, we all have our opinions and I have not been overly impressed by Garrett from an admittedly very small sample size, not to say that he won't make the step up in time. 

But the main thing is that I want tomorrow nights team to be as close to our first team as possible. Garrett is 5th choice and assuming we play 2, there are 4 players who I would prefer to see in there, thus playing him would IMO weaken us. As much as Pears or Edun, perhaps not. I still think we need a more experienced head in midfield so rather than giving Garrett an occasional cameo, I would prefer him to get 20 games in League 1 if possible.

Markanday is a strange one, he himself has rarely played but when he has, I have enjoyed watching him and think he has a spark. That being said, I would prefer us to start Hedges and Brereton with Dack and Dolan tomorrow, Gallagher limped off at the weekend so I would go with those 4 who IMO would be the strongest set of forwards we could play. 

But putting Garrett in the same category as Hirst and Pears is wholly unfair, that was the original intention of my post. He's had one bad game out of 5, and the other 4 have an included a MOM performance and scoring the winning penalty against a Prem team - the other two haven't had a good game at all. Chalk and cheese

Personally I don't think Garrett would swing it much in Forest's favour either. He showed against West Ham he can manage

And I hope he gets more than an occasional cameo too!

I honestly think Markanday weakens the team more than Garrett would. But I'm yet to see enough. I'd say you are writing off Garrett to a League 1 loan too quickly though if you still think Markanday has a role to play in this team! Jake is the better squad player for sure. Markanday seems a bit of a highlight reel to me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

That's come as a surprise. Their fans have never mentioned on social media they are bringing a lot of fans to Ewood. 

Ask them where the other 4000 have been for the last decade.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

But putting Garrett in the same category as Hirst and Pears is wholly unfair, that was the original intention of my post. He's had one bad game out of 5, and the other 4 have an included a MOM performance and scoring the winning penalty against a Prem team - the other two haven't had a good game at all. Chalk and cheese

Personally I don't think Garrett would swing it much in Forest's favour either. He showed against West Ham he can manage

And I hope he gets more than an occasional cameo too!

I honestly think Markanday weakens the team more than Garrett would. But I'm yet to see enough. I'd say you are writing off Garrett to a League 1 loan too quickly though if you still think Markanday has a role to play in this team! Jake is the better squad player for sure. Markanday seems a bit of a highlight reel to me

To be honest, I would also be very open to loaning out Markanday. With Garrett, he has played a few games and to me the Sunderland performance was the best and even then I wasn't overly impressed, I didn't see the West Ham game though. We have 4 midfielders who I think are better at the moment plus I would like another experienced head. Markanday has had less game time but when he has featured there does seem to be a bit of a spark, but he has barely played any league minutes ever. Some regular football in League 1 to me would be more beneficial than being on the fringes of things, and we could do with some incomings who are ready to contribute now for an important second half of the season, which is more about the here and now.

No surprise that they are fetching plenty. First PL season for twenty plus years means getting tickets for standard away allocations of 2/3k have been hard to come by.

So a cheap and huge allocation after a month break for a club in its most high profile position for a long time was always going to sell well. 

Of course they will now be giving it the big ‘un , but in reality they are just another club with very lucky geography.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

https://roversfans.com/index.php?threads/rovers-shutting-riverside-for-forest-game.1427/

An alternative view on tonight's potential attendance.

Do people think that the amount of people slagging off our fanbase makes an impact on Waggott's decision making regarding pricing etc, or do we think that he is tone deaf enough to not even be aware of it?

If he was to think, low attendance tonight is proof that lower prices make no difference, then it would be massively out of context.

If they hadn’t have opened the Riverside in the first place (like usual for cup ties), the crowd would have hardly even been mentioned.  As soon as they announced that they had closed it, it’s been a week of angst. 

We’ll have c6.5/7k home fans there, which is absolutely standard for a cup tie against run of the mill opposition (especially midweek just before Christmas), it’s all been a very odd overreaction.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be honest, I would also be very open to loaning out Markanday. With Garrett, he has played a few games and to me the Sunderland performance was the best and even then I wasn't overly impressed, I didn't see the West Ham game though. We have 4 midfielders who I think are better at the moment plus I would like another experienced head. Markanday has had less game time but when he has featured there does seem to be a bit of a spark, but he has barely played any league minutes ever. Some regular football in League 1 to me would be more beneficial than being on the fringes of things, and we could do with some incomings who are ready to contribute now for an important second half of the season, which is more about the here and now.

i think it`s quite clear markanday is`nt very good and has some problems,mowbray thought he was getting a bargain but he`s turned out to be the opposite,tbh it always ring alarms bells when big clubs let players go on the cheap,if he was any good spurs would`nt have offloading him for next to nothing,it`s very rare you get a bargain from the big clubs,look at the lad mcbride,if he was any use celtic would have hung on to him,he`s now playing for queens park

For any Yorkshire based fans, please check traffic before you travel!

The M62 westtbound has been closed since 4am so may not reopen for your journey

@Uddersfelt Blue and Forest Fans might be particularly affected if you're on here!

Safe journey everyone!

Edit: wrong direction,,😳

Edited by RoverinYorkshire
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i think it`s quite clear markanday is`nt very good and has some problems,mowbray thought he was getting a bargain but he`s turned out to be the opposite,tbh it always ring alarms bells when big clubs let players go on the cheap,if he was any good spurs would`nt have offloading him for next to nothing,it`s very rare you get a bargain from the big clubs,look at the lad mcbride,if he was any use celtic would have hung on to him,he`s now playing for queens park

Is it that clear? Spurs did offer him a new deal and wanted to loan him (big teams try to retain value where possible so to be fair that isn't necessarily the be all and end all) and of course his injury will have set him back. His off the ball work has been mentioned so maybe his talent is there but he needs to come to terms with defensive work like Khadra. He could well stumble out of the game and it isn't an exact science but to say that it is "quite clear" that he isn't very good is unfair, he scored in the 2 cup games this season so he seemingly has somewhat of an eye for goal.

There are loads of players let go by big clubs especially at a young age that become very effective especially at Championship level, even if you discount the likes of Travis who was at Liverpool until he was 17 ish, the likes of Rothwell and Armstrong were let go by big teams for the cheap amongst many more.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

https://roversfans.com/index.php?threads/rovers-shutting-riverside-for-forest-game.1427/

Do people think that the amount of people slagging off our fanbase makes an impact on Waggott's decision making regarding pricing etc, or do we think that he is tone deaf enough to not even be aware of it?

If he was to think, low attendance tonight is proof that lower prices make no difference, then it would be massively out of context.

I’ll be honest, I struggle to take anything on that site seriously, but it’s no surprise ‘one of our own’ has just slagged off the fans to such an extent.

What anyone hopes to gain by doing so is beyond me. Self-hating behaviour is so bizarre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I’m disappointed with the likely home attendance although understand the reasons.

The overall criticism of Waggott is justified, but he got the prices right for tonight so that’s not an excuse. 

The fact that away fans will likely outnumber home fans tonight is a real shame - considering the ticket price and that we’ve had a decent season so far. 

Saying that, the league takes priority and Forest are hardly a glamour tie so not worth losing sleep over. 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is it that clear? Spurs did offer him a new deal and wanted to loan him (big teams try to retain value where possible so to be fair that isn't necessarily the be all and end all) and of course his injury will have set him back. His off the ball work has been mentioned so maybe his talent is there but he needs to come to terms with defensive work like Khadra. He could well stumble out of the game and it isn't an exact science but to say that it is "quite clear" that he isn't very good is unfair, he scored in the 2 cup games this season so he seemingly has somewhat of an eye for goal.

There are loads of players let go by big clubs especially at a young age that become very effective especially at Championship level, even if you discount the likes of Travis who was at Liverpool until he was 17 ish, the likes of Rothwell and Armstrong were let go by big teams for the cheap amongst many more.

thats my point,they were let go because they wer`nt good enough to make the grade at the top level,if they were they would`nt have been sold or released

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Markanday was to be played through the middle, he might have a chance, as he has a good shot on him. If he is played wide he will do nothing.