BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Carabao Cup - next round, moving on - draw.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A mixture of comments, your usual fans with a lack of empathy (often the younger ones who get discounted tickets, living with their parents and are totally oblivious to a different, efficient Rovers) mixed with quite a l ot of understanding. 

End of the day, Forest have not played in ages so their fans will be more willing, its a cup game with a likely second string side, it is midweek and absolutely freezing cold, it has barely been advertised and we have just been battered twice off local rivals. Plus that 3.5k will increase with people paying on the days.

I have never got the feeling that the whole fan base has totally warmed to Tomasson to be honest either, initially there was a huge buzz that Mowbray had gone and that we had put in what seemed to be an efficient "structure" but I feel like if form really unravelled he would get it in the neck a bit more than Mowbray.

It doesn't surprise me one bit , Tomasson seems to live in a fantasy world of football...

I said after the Burnley game he wont be here in February 23...

You cannot go on making the same mistakes , week in week out and get away with it..

Whether he is doing it delibrately to get out? , I don't know . Nothing would surprise me anymore at Ewood .

• Like 1

Out of my own curiosity, our FA/EFL Cup home attendances since 2016: 

2016-17 - EFL Cup: 3,448 for 2nd Rd vs Morecambe. FA Cup: 9,237 for 4th Rd vs Blackpool, 23,130 for 5th Rd vs Man Utd

2017-18 - EFL Cup: 16,313 for 2nd Rd vs Burnley. FA Cup: 3,710 for 1st Rd vs Barnet, 4,472 for 2nd Rd vs Crewe, 6,777 for 3rd Rd vs Hull

2018-19 - EFL Cup: 5,211 for 2nd Rd vs Lincoln. FA Cup: 14,228 for 3rd Rd replay vs Newcastle

2019-20 - EFL Cup: 5,215 for 1st Rd vs Oldham

2020-21 - behind closed doors (Covid...)

2021-22 - EFL Cup: 5,283 for 1st Rd vs Morecambe

2022-23 - EFL Cup: 6,844 for 1st Rd vs Hartlepool

So, yeah, big turnout for a 5th Round FA Cup game against Man Utd, and okay turnouts vs Burnley, Newcastle, Blackpool at a stretch. But otherwise struggle to get more than 6k for such games...

Would have hoped that a bit of a Cup run could spark above-average interest, but weather/poor marketing/derby losses/Nottingham Forest not being particularly exciting have scuppered that. I'll guess we get to 8k in the end...

I’m not too fussed about it. It’s round four against a middling opposition, not the semi final, on a midweek just before Christmas.

Fairly standard to sell bugger all. But of course, that LT story will now see a week of hand wringing and ‘shit are Rovers fans’ posts all over social media.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

Out of my own curiosity, our FA/EFL Cup home attendances since 2016: 

2016-17 - EFL Cup: 3,448 for 2nd Rd vs Morecambe. FA Cup: 9,237 for 4th Rd vs Blackpool, 23,130 for 5th Rd vs Man Utd

2017-18 - EFL Cup: 16,313 for 2nd Rd vs Burnley. FA Cup: 3,710 for 1st Rd vs Barnet, 4,472 for 2nd Rd vs Crewe, 6,777 for 3rd Rd vs Hull

2018-19 - EFL Cup: 5,211 for 2nd Rd vs Lincoln. FA Cup: 14,228 for 3rd Rd replay vs Newcastle

2019-20 - EFL Cup: 5,215 for 1st Rd vs Oldham

2020-21 - behind closed doors (Covid...)

2021-22 - EFL Cup: 5,283 for 1st Rd vs Morecambe

2022-23 - EFL Cup: 6,844 for 1st Rd vs Hartlepool

So, yeah, big turnout for a 5th Round FA Cup game against Man Utd, and okay turnouts vs Burnley, Newcastle, Blackpool at a stretch. But otherwise struggle to get more than 6k for such games...

Would have hoped that a bit of a Cup run could spark above-average interest, but weather/poor marketing/derby losses/Nottingham Forest not being particularly exciting have scuppered that. I'll guess we get to 8k in the end...

That's why it's no surprise we'll have 6 or 7k home fans there because it's pretty standard for us and plenty other clubs with this competition.

Only being highlighted because of the potential angle of as many away fans as home, if  Forest were bringing their usual following nobody would bat an eyelid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I hope we give it a proper go to get to a quarter final. I hope the likes of Pears, Rankin Costello, Edun, Garrett, Vale and Hirst aren't all chucked in together.

To tell the truth, I don't think any of the players you mentioned, are worthy of a place, never mind all of them.

Haven't a lot of those players started the games that got us here ?

Start with the same side that has done so well they've earned the right, WTF have the regulars done recently to earn automatic rights ?

Naff all, keep faith with the kids and second string and leave the scapegoating at home for this one.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I hope we give it a proper go to get to a quarter final. I hope the likes of Pears, Rankin Costello, Edun, Garrett, Vale and Hirst aren't all chucked in together.

They all played in the last round at West Ham - three of them played the whole two hours. One of them scored and four of them scored penalties in a pressure situation in front of 40,000+.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Haven't a lot of those players started the games that got us here ?

Start with the same side that has done so well they've earned the right, WTF have the regulars done recently to earn automatic rights ?

Naff all, keep faith with the kids and second string and leave the scapegoating at home for this one.

Scapegoating? I will go and support them like any player but I dont think those players named are particularly good (no surprise that Edun, Pears and Rankin Costello are being linked away) and I want us to put everything in to getting to the quarter finals and wrestling some momentum back. I think our chances decrease with those named players starting.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Scapegoating? I will go and support them like any player but I dont think those players named are particularly good (no surprise that Edun, Pears and Rankin Costello are being linked away) and I want us to put everything in to getting to the quarter finals and wrestling some momentum back. I think our chances decrease with those named players starting.

How can they decrease when they are the ones who've played the biggest part so far ?

People are knocking them before they've even been picked yet before the west Ham game it was all PLAY THE KIDS and squaddies !

So given how shit the first team has been recently it's unfair to expect wholesale changes from the previous starting line up. Those calling for the more senior players will be the first to slag JDT and say should have stuck with the kids if we lose.

He's on a no winner with this one but i'd rather see lads with a point to prove go down fighting than others strolling about and shrugging their shoulders and losing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

How can they decrease when they are the ones who've played the biggest part so far ?

People are knocking them before they've even been picked yet before the west Ham game it was all PLAY THE KIDS and squaddies !

So given how shit the first team has been recently it's unfair to expect wholesale changes from the previous starting line up. Those calling for the more senior players will be the first to slag JDT and say should have stuck with the kids if we lose.

He's on a no winner with this one but i'd rather see lads with a point to prove go down fighting than others strolling about and shrugging their shoulders and losing.

Firstly, the situation is massively different to the West Ham one. We are a win from the quarter finals, only one round extra but still. We have just come back from a break so the players will be fresher and if anything lacking in game time. We aren't on the horizon of a game against Burnley either.

The "on a no winner" remark doesn't make sense either, the judgement of the game will come dependant on what happens in it. If we win regardless of the team, he will be justified and praised.

We have been shocking in the last 2 games but (not factoring in tomorrow game) the natural reaction wouldn't be to change everyone, so I would approach it essentially as if it was another league game. There are some changes you would naturally make that don't weaken us, for me Adam Wharton would definitely come in, possibly Buckley too as Morton and Travis are not playing well. Ayala could come in for one of the centre backs, maybe Dolan somewhere too. But Kaminski, Pickering, Carter, Brereton, Gallagher and Dack should all start, rather than bringing in players who may have played well once but take Edun, has been crap everytime in the league, Rankin Costello has been bombed out, we know what Pears is like, Vale and Garrett have shown that they aren't ready too.

On 16/12/2022 at 03:03, JHRover said:

So i've been back through the last few weeks and can confirm that today's announcement on the Riverside being closed shortly followed by a ticket price reminder are the first posts by Rovers about the Nottingham Forest game since the tickets were first put on sale on 25th November.

This means that since the draw over a month ago there was one tweet on 25th November announcing prices and then today's reminder.

Now when Waggott is sat in his office baffled by poor sales figures perhaps one thing he should be asking is whether 1 reminder in a month is sufficient marketing or promotion for a cup clash against a PL side.

I'd suggest not - it is the bare minimum effort and therefore no surprise to see a poor turn out.

Maybe one day they'll try and push sales and market things but until then we will be held back.

Come hell or high water they will never do anything above the bare minimum. Most of the time they can't even manage that.

• Like 1

Quite looking forward to it. 

It's always the same at these matches, if it's close you forget how many/few are on and just concentrate on the game. 

Their fans won't know the ins and outs at Ewood, they'll just see that we're 3rd and they're low down in the Prem. 

From the outside, it's a potential upset. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

I’m coming down for this, my first visit to  Ewood in quite a while (thanks to winning the BRFCS subscribers raffle and a couple of days extra holidays in lieu from work).

I gave up my season ticket about 4 or 5 years ago so does anyone know how I go about getting into Blues Bar for a pint before the game? Can you pay on the door or do you still need to be a ST holder to get in? 

• Like 2