BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

Anyone else remember Richard Brown or Tony Dobson?

Nine year old me saw them as important first team players back in 1991 (I don't know how accurate my memory is about that - they might well have been crap).

Any other players that were regular first teamers but hardly ever get a mention?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HugeChin said:

Nine year old me saw them as important first team players back in 1991 (I don't know how accurate my memory is about that - they might well have been crap).

Any other players that were regular first teamers but hardly ever get a mention?

Tony Dobson came in a double deal with Steve Livingstone, coincidentally from the club we've just bought Hyam from.  Tony was a left footed CB and SV was a bit target man. It was the first inkling that we had a bit of money and that Sir Jack had got involved. It was something like £450k for the pair of them. Don Mackay bought them iirc. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Tony Dobson came in a double deal with Steve Livingstone, coincidentally from the club we've just bought Hyam from.  Tony was a left footed CB and SV was a bit target man. It was the first inkling that we had a bit of money and that Sir Jack had got involved. It was something like £450k for the pair of them. Don Mackay bought them iirc. 

In my memory Steve Livingstone and Duncan Shearer have blended into one flame headed super striker

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, HugeChin said:

I think Richard Brown went to Australia ..might be wrong 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HugeChin said:

richard brown played a handful of games as a back up full  back,he was`nt very good tbh,kenny soon ****** him off and i think he drifted into non league

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

richard brown played a handful of games as a back up full  back,he was`nt very good tbh,kenny soon ****** him off and i think he drifted into non league

Who was first choice full back? Was it Chris Price?

1 minute ago, HugeChin said:

Who was first choice full back? Was it Chris Price?

thats a good question,i think at the time kenny had david may and chris price playing there,brown must have come in to cover for injuries,there was hendry and moran in the middle with alan wright on the left,dobson also played a few games at left back as well

• Like 1

Alan Wright was a good fullback before we signed greame le saux.  Remember the summer after we won the league.  Dalglish stepped down then Ray harford took over instead of signing from a position of strength the only player we brought in was matty Holmes.  We were linked with players like Zidane. That summer was our downfall 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Alan Wright was a good fullback before we signed greame le saux.  Remember the summer after we won the league.  Dalglish stepped down then Ray harford took over instead of signing from a position of strength the only player we brought in was matty Holmes.  We were linked with players like Zidane. That summer was our downfall 

Forgot about Matty Holmes but now you've mentioned him I can picture his ears

• Like 1

As someone who lived abroad, have no connection with East Lancashire outside my real surname and only became a fan in the mid 90's there are a few names that crop up in my mind. Oumar Konde for instance, mainly because the sound of his name stuck in my head. Players like Stig Inge Bjornabye are the kind of solid stodgy player you forget, along with Craig Short, Garry Flitcroft and John Filan. Even Dino Baggio and Richard Witschge played for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

We really should have signed Zidane and replaced Dalglish with a top manager. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

As someone who lived abroad, have no connection with East Lancashire outside my real surname and only became a fan in the mid 90's there are a few names that crop up in my mind. Oumar Konde for instance, mainly because the sound of his name stuck in my head. Players like Stig Inge Bjornabye are the kind of solid stodgy player you forget, along with Craig Short, Garry Flitcroft and John Filan. Even Dino Baggio and Richard Witschge played for us.

Hakan Unsal, Hakan Sukur, Yildiray Basturk…when Turkey was all the rage.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roverandout said:

Then you see City still trying to strengthen their team even after signing “ the last piece in the jigsaw “,  Haaland.

That’s the way to do it. When you’re at the top of the tree and everybody wants to play for you. We still had too many people at the club with a small team mentality. “ We’ve won it once, that’ll do for me “.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Then you see City still trying to strengthen their team even after signing “ the last piece in the jigsaw “,  Haaland.

That’s the way to do it. When you’re at the top of the tree and everybody wants to play for you. We still had too many people at the club with a small team mentality. “ We’ve won it once, that’ll do for me “.

To be fair, I think it was Jack Walker easing off on the spending front which was behind it and was the reason for Dalglish ceasing to be manager.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

To be fair, I think it was Jack Walker easing off on the spending front which was behind it and was the reason for Dalglish ceasing to be manager.

You look at your team at the end of the season and decide who is the weakest link and replace them with a better player. Keep doing that and you’ll thrive as a club. Do it the other way around and you’re on the way down.

• Like 1

If Andy Cole had netted one of those 10 chances he had at West Ham, I wager we would’ve seen a very different summer of ‘95 and ergo the rest of the 90s.

Obviously we wouldn’t swap Anfield for anything, but an interesting counter-factual nonetheless…

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

People always say that kind of thing but if we'd have beaten West Ham then we'd already have been champions by the time we got to anfield.

we got cheated out of points when we played utd,ashby the **** sending off berg for a well timed tackle at ewood and that weasel durkin disallowing shearers goal for the phantom push,when ferguson  shuffles off the coil it will all come out about paying refs off,mark my words,it was`nt just us they did it to,the amount of stuff they got away with was shocking,remarkably they don`t get half the special treatment they used to get when purple nose was manager

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

If Andy Cole had netted one of those 10 chances he had at West Ham, I wager we would’ve seen a very different summer of ‘95 and ergo the rest of the 90s.

Obviously we wouldn’t swap Anfield for anything, but an interesting counter-factual nonetheless…

Very good point Marty. I’d never thought of that.

If according to Jack’s “plan” we won the league a year earlier than anticipated, the original plan surely was to improve again over the summer of ‘95.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

People always say that kind of thing but if we'd have beaten West Ham then we'd already have been champions by the time we got to anfield.

I get that, but I’m talking about if the final day had gone differently. 

We’ll never know, and I’ll never change the day I experienced at Anfield, but if United had have won, we wouldn’t have just signed Matty Holmes…

• Like 1

Couple spring to mind, remember Pete Thorne bagging hat-trick against Chorley pre-season, never broke through but had decent career in lower divisions

Patrick  Anderson, think off memory could be wrong he made his debut against sheff wed away? Never happened for him here but then played for some of biggest clubs in Europe afterwards including barcelona, bought him same week as Berg if i remember.

• Like 3