BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

dino baggio was well past his best when he signed for us,great player in his prime,souness took a gamble but it did`nt work

i don`t remember anything about basturk,i can recall hakan unsal,who played a few games then decided he liked istanbul more than blackburn and hakan sukur,the legendary galatasary striker,i think he broke his leg soon after joining us which was unfortune,he was a great player

anyone remember per pederson and anders anderson???!!!!!!!

Basturk suffered from the same affliction as Johann Vogel: better than decent players who it never quite worked out for. I was under the impression he didn't get any game time with us, but it seems he got 45 minutes in our shirt.

Unsal I remember getting sent off at the world cup (Rivaldo's play acting) and disappearing from view soon after.

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

remember bruno ribeiro,kean was always babbling on about how good he was in training,though nobody ever saw him,we used to call him the invisible man

Our first and only Brazilian? Surprised to learn he had five appearances for us.

Edited by Dreyski

20 hours ago, Irish_Rover said:

A player to throw in that did a job for us but even above his name has not come up yet (that I can see anyways), Jonathon Douglas!

Might have been just one or so season where he was somewhat of a regular when Souness adopted the dogs of war approach in the tail end of the 03/04 season I think it was.

Vaguely recall him popping up with a goal aswell, might have been that 4-3 game against Fulham.

Not a bad player all told, bit of a workhorse but definately better players there that came in and took his place... would be a bloody superstar in our current setup!

I remember that, Douglas played LM in Souness' Catennacio team, with, I think, Martin Andresen and Jon Stead, and managed to avoid relegation. He turned into a decent holding midfielder, playing for Leeds, Brentford and Ipswich and making it into the Rep Ireland team.

Douglas came from the Rovers youth generation of David Dunn, Neil Danns, Darren Dunning which, as well as being very alliterative, was a much-heralded reserve side, I think.

A name I'd like to mention is Gary Harkins, who some might remember from the Hughes era. He was a reserve player who got the odd game for Rovers, I think. Strangely, Hughes had him playing as CB (maybe, pre-season) and he went onto have a decent career in Scotland as a skilful attacking midfielder. I'm not sure how it came about but he seemed to be considered a defensive player at Rovers and it turns out his was a creative attacker.

The final name I'd mention is Raffa De Vita, the Italian forward who was on the books at Rovers at the same time, I think, as Joe Garner. I remember he posted on the Rovers official website forum back in the day.

Edit: Also, see Aaron Brian Doran Cogan, also known as Aaron Doran.  A skilful Irish winger who was talked of as a successor to Damien Duff but was let go by, I think, Allardyce, and eventually had a long career at Inverness, where he's still playing, I think.

Edited by riverholmes

16 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

Alex Binnie ended up playing non-league in Rossendale - definitely for Bacup Borough and possibly for the late lamented Rossendale Utd. Still can't believe the first football team I ever saw doesn't exist anymore!

I'm almost certain Alex played for Stanley too.

On 30/08/2022 at 11:43, lraC said:

Two others that spring to mind, due to having business dealings with them both are Peter Divine and Alex Binnie.

Pete lived in Darwen last time I spoke to him and Alex (real name John Alex Binnie) lives in Bacup. Alex lives with Jan Meadowcroft one of the twin daughter's of the late professional  snooker player and commentator Jim Meadowcroft.

You've mentioned two names there that I know quite well. I've played alongside and against Alex and as a young man, I spent many late nights chatting with Jim when we used quiz together.

I always found him to be a lovely, humble but interesting guy and I miss those days.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Simon Ireland

Steve Agnew

Simon Ireland was considered to have a bright future.  Never heard of him again.

Agnew was going to be a top player but he got injured almost as soon as he arrived. Same with Jimmy Kerr back in the early 1970’s. We were going to build a team around both of them and they got career ending injuries almost as soon as they pulled on the shirt.

Youri Djorkaeff- I remember him scoring a brilliant volley for us in one game that was ruled out because another player was off side. Retired from the game at about 21.

What about Martin Britt ? Brilliant as a youth player at West Ham. He marmalised Liverpool’s “ hard man “ Tommy Smith in the youth cup final scoring a hat trick. Came to Rovers with a knee problem, he could only jump off one leg ! We were desperate for strikers so we signed him. Played a dozen games without a goal.

Just one in the very long line of Fred Pickering replacements that weren’t. We could have bought Fred twice over with what we spent on replacements. At the same time we let his natural replacement, John Byrom, go to Bolton for a song. Bobby Moore reckoned Byrom was the second most difficult opponent he ever played against. I think Pele must have been No 1.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 31/08/2022 at 00:46, roverandout said:

Richard witschge. Played one game. Thought Blackburn was a shithole.  

Anyone remember yordi? Played in the league Cup final.  Only played a handful of games 

Patrik Anderson went on to great things after being shite for us. 

• Like 1