BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

2 hours ago, Miker said:

What about Zurab Khizanishvilli? He was a solid but unremarkable defender for us in the Hughes days. 4th choice behind Nelsen, Samba and Ooijer but always seemed to do his job when called upon!

A classy backup defender to have. I remember he would slot in without a fuss when one of the main centre backs was missing. We wouldn't feel their absence much as Zurab was just as reliable.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, roverandout said:

I don't really think he counts but Dwight yorke came with so much promise.  Souness tried to get that spark back he had with Cole but yorke was a lazy baxtard. He also fell out with Souness if I remember correctly 

Listen to Michael Grey on Under the Cosh podcast tell the Dwight Yorke v SOuness training story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

Craig Skinner is one of those who came in at a similar time to Lenny Johnrose, Jason Wilcox, etc. Left as part of the Walker revolution I guess.

Can't remember what happened to him after he left Rovers

Went with Keith Hill to Plymouth when we signed Nicky Marker.

7 hours ago, Miker said:

What about Zurab Khizanishvilli? He was a solid but unremarkable defender for us in the Hughes days. 4th choice behind Nelsen, Samba and Ooijer but always seemed to do his job when called upon!

Didn't he sometimes cover left back too or have I imagined that. Either way was a great back up to have. BTW as you mention Samba there's a programme about him on sky sports tomorrow at 7pm. May be a repeat but I've never seen it so will tune in. 

29 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Didn't he sometimes cover left back too or have I imagined that. Either way was a great back up to have. BTW as you mention Samba there's a programme about him on sky sports tomorrow at 7pm. May be a repeat but I've never seen it so will tune in. 

Where have you seen that. Just been on planner and can’t see anything 

10 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

Craig Skinner is one of those who came in at a similar time to Lenny Johnrose, Jason Wilcox, etc. Left as part of the Walker revolution I guess.

Can't remember what happened to him after he left Rovers

Did he come on as a sub in the play-off final and try to put a cross in but completely missed the ball? 

Actually that might have been Lee Richardson 

Edited by HugeChin
Added info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucimo said:

Didn't he sometimes cover left back too or have I imagined that. Either way was a great back up to have.

From what I can remember, Zurab covered a few games at right back, but not at left back. Lucas Neill played some games at left back though, quite well too.

Putting his exit to one side, Neill was a solid defender. No nonsense, comfortable in any role along the backline and he got forward well. We could do with him today (and plenty of others).

The one that used to scare me was seeing Dominic Matteo at left back. There was even one game where Souness had him on the left wing, bizarrely. That was a sight 😁.

9 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

From what I can remember, Zurab covered a few games at right back, but not at left back. Lucas Neill played some games at left back though, quite well too.

Putting his exit to one side, Neill was a solid defender. No nonsense, comfortable in any role along the backline and he got forward well. We could do with him today (and plenty of others).

The one that used to scare me was seeing Dominic Matteo at left back. There was even one game where Souness had him on the left wing, bizarrely. That was a sight 😁.

Souey had lost the plot by that stage hadn’t he?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Souey had lost the plot by that stage hadn’t he?

He was struggling and had lost the youthful stars that led our promotion in Dunn, Duff and Jansen and was clashing with some of his senior pros, who he couldn't, it seemed, manage as well. If I remember rightly, he couldn't find successors for the ageing Tugay and Flitcroft, with the Barry Ferguson deal proving a disaster. Near the end of his reign, I believe the midfield was Jon Douglas - Martin Andresen - Tugay - Emerton. 

We went from having dynamic wingers in Duff, Gillespie and David Thompson, to players put out just to hold the fort. Emerton had so much potential but wasn't a winger.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2022 at 12:00, Miker said:

According to Wikipedia he only played 61 times in 6 years at the club.  Was that injuries or just out of favour? He had 3 loan spells with Newcastle and Reading though 

19 minutes ago, roverandout said:

According to Wikipedia he only played 61 times in 6 years at the club.  Was that injuries or just out of favour? He had 3 loan spells with Newcastle and Reading though 

Started off as first choice with Nelson and Todd when he joined so got plenty of games, and as the club moved on signing Samba and Ooijer etc he just fell down the pecking order.

Don't think he played at all during his final two years here, thats where he had the loan spells you mentioned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

anyone remember the porgugeezers

diogo rosado

fabio nunes

paolo jorge

edinho junior

nuno goncalves

nuno gomes(class player in his prime,pity we got him when his legs had gone)

can`t remember who it was but one of the portugal mob had an abscess on his tooth and would`nt play until rovers had paid for his dental work!!!!!!

That can’t have been when Souness was managing. He would have just knocked the guy’s tooth out.