BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

2 hours ago, Gav said:

I remember us signing Sean Curry from Liverpool reserves back in around 86/87? Exciting to have someone from Liverpools setup on our books, but he was hopeless, don't think he played much, similar to Paul Mackinnon around the same time, wasn't he a Tony Parkes signing as caretaker manager? absolute bobbins.....

Curry was better than McKinnon Gav. Then again, so was I!

Sean was a bit of a lad off the pitch though, to say the least.

His two big moments for Rovers were scoring at Maine Road in a 2-1 win, and having what would have been the winning goal wrongly disallowed for offside at White Hart Lane against a star studded Spurs team in the league cup.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Remember going to the away game at Highbury that season, which it think was just before Christmas off the top of my head.

1-0 down at half time to come out and completely play that same side off the park in the second half to win 3-1.

Genuinely thought we would be title contenders again that season after that. 

Kevin Gallacher's goal at Highbury that day remains to be one of my favourites. Long goal kick, flick on from Sutton and a left foot half volley from Gallacher over Seaman. Stunning.

We looked the real deal for a chunk of that season and the Highbury game was an example of it. A shame we fell away from February onwards as it could have been so much more than a 6th place finish.

• Like 3

A player to throw in that did a job for us but even above his name has not come up yet (that I can see anyways), Jonathon Douglas!

Might have been just one or so season where he was somewhat of a regular when Souness adopted the dogs of war approach in the tail end of the 03/04 season I think it was.

Vaguely recall him popping up with a goal aswell, might have been that 4-3 game against Fulham.

Not a bad player all told, bit of a workhorse but definately better players there that came in and took his place... would be a bloody superstar in our current setup!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Irish_Rover said:

A player to throw in that did a job for us but even above his name has not come up yet (that I can see anyways), Jonathon Douglas!

Might have been just one or so season where he was somewhat of a regular when Souness adopted the dogs of war approach in the tail end of the 03/04 season I think it was.

Vaguely recall him popping up with a goal aswell, might have been that 4-3 game against Fulham.

Not a bad player all told, bit of a workhorse but definately better players there that came in and took his place... would be a bloody superstar in our current setup!

Great shout. Him and Martin Andresen - another forgotten player - featured quite a lot in the second half of 03/04.

9 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Oh god what was his name😣 European International RB & occasional Cb spent a season(or a short loan spell) with us in the 00s i think (not salgado or babel) fairly big name, I'll kick myself when i rember!! Classy player but his legs had gone? 😣

Hope im not just imaging this or got my memories mixed up with a game of champ manager i was playing at the time😄

Sorry for quoting myself! 

But after all that waffling 🙄 also realised that Ooijer was actually with us for like 3 years!! (probably spent half that injured though) 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

2 hours ago, HugeChin said:

Brian Kidd signed a player called Burton O'Brien who was Scottish/South African. Saw more of him on Championship Manager than in real life

Didn't he sign at the same time as some other supoosed Scottish wonder kid (that also went on to do nothing in the game) 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

Seeing the 03/04 season being talked about reminded me of Dino Baggio. How the heck did we get him here and why wasn't he any good for us? 😁.

Another name, it might have been mentioned earlier, is the Turkish player, Basturk. I remember him being a creative player and looking good for Turkey. I was excited when we got him, but oddly we didn't see much of him. Whatever happened to him?

22 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Seeing the 03/04 season being talked about reminded me of Dino Baggio. How the heck did we get him here and why wasn't he any good for us? 😁.

Another name, it might have been mentioned earlier, is the Turkish player, Basturk. I remember him being a creative player and looking good for Turkey. I was excited when we got him, but oddly we didn't see much of him. Whatever happened to him?

dino baggio was well past his best when he signed for us,great player in his prime,souness took a gamble but it did`nt work

i don`t remember anything about basturk,i can recall hakan unsal,who played a few games then decided he liked istanbul more than blackburn and hakan sukur,the legendary galatasary striker,i think he broke his leg soon after joining us which was unfortune,he was a great player

anyone remember per pederson and anders anderson???!!!!!!!

• Backroom
58 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Sorry for quoting myself! 

But after all that waffling 🙄 also realised that Ooijer was actually with us for like 3 years!! (probably spent half that injured though) 

Might be wrong but I'm sure he conceded an og and penalty in his first game, then basically snapped his leg a few games later.

Wasn't til the following season he looked the real deal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

having what would have been the winning goal wrongly disallowed for offside at White Hart Lane against a star studded Spurs team in the league cup.

I didn’t go to Spurs that night but listened on Radio 5, it was the main game for once.

I can’t remember what I did last week but I recall the goal like it was yesterday, then disappointment at it being ruled out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gav said:

I didn’t go to Spurs that night but listened on Radio 5, it was the main game for once.

I can’t remember what I did last week but I recall the goal like it was yesterday, then disappointment at it being ruled out.

I was there Gav, we got ambushed on the way back to the car but I think we did Blackburn proud with our retaliatory efforts 😉

• Like 1

Gary Croft is another I'll mention. I remember him being a capable LB for us following on from Le Saux. I think Croft went under the radar a bit. He was a good player, I thought.

I was sat in the Riverside right behind the shot, when he scored a beauty against Chelsea, edge of the box, left foot, in off the bar. It turned out to be the winner too that day.

Again, I can't remember what happened with him after the 97/98 season. I just remember Callum Davidson being the next LB in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lraC said:

Two others that spring to mind, due to having business dealings with them both are Peter Divine and Alex Binnie.

Pete lived in Darwen last time I spoke to him and Alex (real name John Alex Binnie) lives in Bacup. Alex lives with Jan Meadowcroft one of the twin daughter's of the late professional  snooker player and commentator Jim Meadowcroft.

Alex Binnie ended up playing non-league in Rossendale - definitely for Bacup Borough and possibly for the late lamented Rossendale Utd. Still can't believe the first football team I ever saw doesn't exist anymore!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Alex Binnie ended up playing non-league in Rossendale - definitely for Bacup Borough and possibly for the late lamented Rossendale Utd. Still can't believe the first football team I ever saw doesn't exist anymore!

Alex definitely made appearances for Rossendale United. 

I grew up next to Dark Lane and had a purpose built hole in the fence so I could sneak on to watch. 

Remember when Rossendale played Shrewsbury Town at home in the FA Cup.... It was a busy day for the police and my dad forbid me from sneaking on to the ground. 

58 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Gary Croft is another I'll mention. I remember him being a capable LB for us following on from Le Saux. I think Croft went under the radar a bit. He was a good player, I thought.

I was sat in the Riverside right behind the shot, when he scored a beauty against Chelsea, edge of the box, left foot, in off the bar. It turned out to be the winner too that day.

Again, I can't remember what happened with him after the 97/98 season. I just remember Callum Davidson being the next LB in.

He went to Ipswich and ended up doing a short prison stretch for pretending to be Dennis Taylor’s son when he got pulled over driving while on a ban. Was the first player to play with an electronic tag.

Sticking with the legal trouble theme, Lee Makel who I’ve seen mentioned a bit further up on this thread has admitted to threatening to kill his wife, according to reports today.

54 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Another Rovers/Rossendale United connection....... I'm sure that ex Rover Paul Round was on the staff at Rossendale at some point. 

Paul Round apparently one of Rovers youngest ever scorers!