BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

14 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Was that the season when Arsenal ( the Invincibles) went unbeaten during the season? 

If its the same game I went to we were 0-4 down at half time and for me, probably the best football team I've seen play rovers at Ewood. 

No, the Invincibles season came later in 03/04. It was the Arsenal double winning team from that season, 97/98, that blew us away.

I agree, they were superb. They had Petit, Vieira, Overmars, Bergkamp and Anelka, plus that famous backline playing that day. Heck of a team that was.

We beat them 1-0 in the second half when it was snowing though 😁.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

No, the Invincibles season came later in 03/04. It was the Arsenal double winning team from that season, 97/98, that blew us away.

I agree, they were superb. They had Petit, Vieira, Overmars, Bergkamp and Anelka, plus that famous backline playing that day. Heck of a team that was.

Cheers for that. 

My memory is not what it was. And it was never that brilliant in any case 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Did Franz Carr ever make a senior appearance? 

Big things expected from him Iirc. 

I don’t think he played for the first team (though I could be wrong). What I do know for sure is that Rovers were only taking one apprentice on that season and it was between him and my little brother and Franz got the nod. Pretty sure we sold him to Cloughie for what was big money without him playing a first team game.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

• Backroom

A recent one for me is the late Peter Whittingham, seemed a real statement signing early in the window and plenty, me included were convinced he’d be brilliant. 

I can’t remember a single thing from him on the pitch for us!

Tragic waste of a young life after he left 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It was mid April which made it even more surreal.

They were a great side, but we looked like we were going to be up there with them in the first half of that season until a characteristic collapse in the new year…

Yes that's right it was April. 

Me and my dad were sat in the riverside and we got absolutely soaked. 

Got my first ever copy of 4000 holes that day.

• Like 2

Oh god what was his name😣 European International RB & occasional Cb spent a season(or a short loan spell) with us in the 00s i think (not salgado or babel) fairly big name, I'll kick myself when i rember!! Classy player but his legs had gone? 😣

Hope im not just imaging this or got my memories mixed up with a game of champ manager i was playing at the time😄

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

😅 not sure you'd all class him as a 'forgotten player' but i defintely had to dig deep to remember his name. Definitely an ex player of ours that you dont hear much mention of though! Especially considering his high pedigree in the game when we signed him 

blackburn-rovers-andre-ooijer-jk-64678-p.jpg

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

I can't remember his first name, buy we signed a striker whose surname was Anonda.

I remember being away somewhere shortly after we signed him and a song was being sung. Whose that coming over the hill is it Anonda?

Can anyone clarify I haven't dreamt that one?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lraC said:

I can't remember his first name, buy we signed a striker whose surname was Anonda.

I remember being away somewhere shortly after we signed him and a song was being sung. Whose that coming over the hill is it Anonda?

Can anyone clarify I haven't dreamt that one?

Shabani Nonda - Wikipedia

We did sign a Nonda, but not an Anonda😉

• Like 2

Two others that spring to mind, due to having business dealings with them both are Peter Divine and Alex Binnie.

Pete lived in Darwen last time I spoke to him and Alex (real name John Alex Binnie) lives in Bacup. Alex lives with Jan Meadowcroft one of the twin daughter's of the late professional  snooker player and commentator Jim Meadowcroft.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lraC said:

Two others that spring to mind, due to having business dealings with them both are Peter Divine and Alex Binnie.

Pete lived in Darwen last time I spoke to him and Alex (real name John Alex Binnie) lives in Bacup. Alex lives with Jan Meadowcroft one of the twin daughter's of the late professional  snooker player and commentator Jim Meadowcroft.

Pete played in our Orphanage Cup team (Blackburn Council). I have vague memories of Phil Greenhalgh (Great Harwood legend) playing in the same team. Some forward line at that level.  Pete married a Darwen lass from my class at school and he still looks well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Remember going to the away game at Highbury that season, which it think was just before Christmas off the top of my head.

1-0 down at half time to come out and completely play that same side off the park in the second half to win 3-1.

Genuinely thought we would be title contenders again that season after that. 

• Like 2

I remember us signing Sean Curry from Liverpool reserves back in around 86/87? Exciting to have someone from Liverpools setup on our books, but he was hopeless, don't think he played much, similar to Paul Mackinnon around the same time, wasn't he a Tony Parkes signing as caretaker manager? absolute bobbins.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Frank Talia a reserve keeper.  Not so much forgotten but Roy Wegerle isn;t talked about much.  Always remember seeing him score against Sheff Wed in the 4-2 at Ewood and kissing to the crowd. That was some collapse that night. 

David May?

Gary Tallon was always in the team photos but never played.

Saw these names in the match day programme but can't put a face to them. Do remember Rovers playing QPR and before the game Wegerle stood chatting to Ray Wilkins on the halfway line doing some stretches. Funny what you remember 

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Pete played in our Orphanage Cup team (Blackburn Council). I have vague memories of Phil Greenhalgh (Great Harwood legend) playing in the same team. Some forward line at that level.  Pete married a Darwen lass from my class at school and he still looks well.

He did marry Christine Kitchin, a Darwen Girl.

• Like 1