BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

I feel Andy Morrison belongs in this thread.

Bought by Kenny in 93(?) but only lasted the one season. On the short side for a centre half, but almost as broad as he was tall, even as a young lad. Seem to recall he enjoyed a skinfull and a scrap pretty regularly, and had a justified hard man reputation. Went on to become somewhat of a legend at both Blackpool and then Man City, where he led them out of the third tier as their captain.

I’m sure I saw he was managing an obscure national side these days having spent time in the welsh league.

Edit…

He is currently managing Sri Lanka, but nearly had a go at managing Seychelles a few years back.

The below is from the Wikipedia page of an Andrew Amers-Morrison:

In September 2010 he was appointed as manager of the Seychelles national football team. He was appointed after visiting the country on holiday and the Seychellois football officials mistakenly believed him to be Scottish former Manchester City player Andy Morrison.

Suketu Patel, chairman of the Seychelles Football Federation (SFF) conceded "We thought we were getting the real Andy Morrison".

Edited by Miller11
Adding

• Backroom
On 03/09/2022 at 08:14, Oldgregg86 said:

Another Scottish lad Keith brown

I work with him now! Lovely bloke, made much of his living running academies in lower leagues, before assisting Dunny.

Decided football wages are too unreliable (coaches get sacked with a manager usually).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I feel Andy Morrison belongs in this thread.

Bought by Kenny in 93(?) but only lasted the one season. On the short side for a centre half, but almost as broad as he was tall, even as a young lad. Seem to recall he enjoyed a skinfull and a scrap pretty regularly, and had a justified hard man reputation. Went on to become somewhat of a legend at both Blackpool and then Man City, where he led them out of the third tier as their captain.

I’m sure I saw he was managing an obscure national side these days having spent time in the welsh league.

Edit…

He is currently managing Sri Lanka, but nearly had a go at managing Seychelles a few years back.

The below is from the Wikipedia page of an Andrew Amers-Morrison:

In September 2010 he was appointed as manager of the Seychelles national football team. He was appointed after visiting the country on holiday and the Seychellois football officials mistakenly believed him to be Scottish former Manchester City player Andy Morrison.

Suketu Patel, chairman of the Seychelles Football Federation (SFF) conceded "We thought we were getting the real Andy Morrison".

Reminded me very much in looks and his aggressive attitude of John Bray the Rovers full back of the early 1960’s.

• Like 1

Only thing I remember about Nathan delfonso is his goal away at Huddersfield. 

rakeem harper to. My only memory of him is how highly rated he was as a youngster and how bad , possible the worst performance I’ve ever seen, he put in away at Crewe in a cup game

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Kevin Arnott. 

How funny; I was just about to post his name. Think he came twice on loan, perhaps from Sunderland. I thought he was a great player. If memory serves he played in the big 3rd round cup tie in January '83 against Liverpool. That game recently popped up on YouTube and is well worth tracking down.

2 hours ago, lraC said:

Micky Speight.

Micky is a really lovely bloke. Hard as fucking nails and deadly with free kicks on the edge of the box. Howard Kendall loved him.

13 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Paul Comstive

Paul another great lad. Sadly passed away at a young age. Was fond of a Leavers pie or two (as well as a few pints). Those last two sentences may be connected ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Only thing I remember about Nathan delfonso is his goal away at Huddersfield. 

rakeem harper to. My only memory of him is how highly rated he was as a youngster and how bad , possible the worst performance I’ve ever seen, he put in away at Crewe in a cup game

harper now turning out for exeter,came with a lot of hype,after his first game at rochdale,it was clear he was bobbins

continuing with forgotten players

john lowey,sadly no longer with us

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Micky is a really lovely bloke. Hard as fucking nails and deadly with free kicks on the edge of the box. Howard Kendall loved him.

Paul another great lad. Sadly passed away at a young age. Was fond of a Leavers pie or two (as well as a few pints). Those last two sentences may be connected ...

I remember a Speight goal V Sheffield Wednesday that was on TV. Being a Sheffield lad and a blade, he was made up and was beaming broadly when they interviewed him on the TV post match.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 21:10, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Reminded me very much in looks and his aggressive attitude of John Bray the Rovers full back of the early 1960’s.

Wasn’t he nicknamed “Tank” 

How about Chris Crowe, Martin Britt, Viv Busby

Edited by Riversider28
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

Wasn’t he nicknamed “Tank” 

How about Chris Crowe, Martin Britt, Viv Busby

Yes, John Bray was nicknamed “ The Tank “. Very appropriate.

Chris Crowe was a blond haired “ inside forward “ we got from Leeds for big money. He came highly rated as an U-23 international but he never really held down a place in the first team. We sold him to Wolves were he was quite successful, he did well enough to get one full England cap under Alf Ramsey.

Martin Britt was a West Ham youth team star striker, good enough to give Liverpool’s Tommy Smith the run around in the Youth Cup Final scoring a hat trick.  He’d had a serious knee injury at West Ham but they said nothing and we were desperate for a goalscorer so we signed him. This was before pre-signing medicals became the norm. We were struggling, eventually getting relegated, and he played a dozen games without scoring.

He retired the following season due to the injury at a really young age. There’s a photo of him on the internet looking completely lost. He’s stood in the centre of Blackburn leaning on a walking stick with an empty look in his eyes. It must have awful coming from London to Blackburn in the ‘60’s and then dealing with a long term injury.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Craig Skinner is one of those who came in at a similar time to Lenny Johnrose, Jason Wilcox, etc. Left as part of the Walker revolution I guess.

Can't remember what happened to him after he left Rovers

I think he went to Plymouth along with Keith Hill as part of the Nicky Marker deal.