BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

On 03/09/2022 at 00:34, riverholmes said:

Three assists, or so, on his full debut, I vaguely remember, with Bellamy scoring. But he didn't fulfill his potential and his career faded quickly. There were always claims that he had a negative attitude - though, don't know any details. If I remember rightly, he messed up a Panenka penalty attempt in a pre-season game which added to his reputation (though, I'm going off hazy memory).

That was back in the day that Rovers recruited many more overseas youth players from France, Germany and Spain. From Germany, I remember Mamadi Keita, Kevin Pezzoni and Bjorn Bussman who played U18s or U21s. I think the consensus was that Peter had the talent to do well but something went wrong.

Wow, those names bring back so memories, especially for FM/CM. I remember Mamadi Keita becoming really good in Football Manager.

My take on forgotten players, some Swedes (apologies if mentioned before)

Niklas Gudmundsson

Anders Andersson

Patrik Andersson 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

anyone remember the porgugeezers

diogo rosado

fabio nunes

paolo jorge

edinho junior

nuno goncalves

nuno gomes(class player in his prime,pity we got him when his legs had gone)

can`t remember who it was but one of the portugal mob had an abscess on his tooth and would`nt play until rovers had paid for his dental work!!!!!!

Wasn't that Formica? I remember reading something about Rovers helping him fix his teeth.

3 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

That can’t have been when Souness was managing. He would have just knocked the guy’s tooth out.

This would have been around 2012/13 with the Portuguese players.

On the topic of Souness. I was reading just yesterday how he dealt with Bellamy at Newcastle. He subbed Bellamy off one game, with Bellamy aiming expletives his way when walking off.

Souness only found out about it later on when looking at the video footage of the game.

He grabs Bellamy by the throat, tells him he'll knock him out and to get in the gym where they'll sort it out like men. Shearer and a few of the others had to jump in to get Souey off him. It never got to the gym, but Kieron Dyer, who told the story, said it was the quietest he'd ever seen Bellamy.

Can't mess with Souness 😁.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

From what I can remember, Zurab covered a few games at right back, but not at left back. Lucas Neill played some games at left back though, quite well too.

Putting his exit to one side, Neill was a solid defender. No nonsense, comfortable in any role along the backline and he got forward well. We could do with him today (and plenty of others).

The one that used to scare me was seeing Dominic Matteo at left back. There was even one game where Souness had him on the left wing, bizarrely. That was a sight 😁.

Cracking player Lucas Neill, hard as nails. He's coaching the girls teams at Stanley. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rickard said:

Wow, those names bring back so memories, especially for FM/CM. I remember Mamadi Keita becoming really good in Football Manager.

My take on forgotten players, some Swedes (apologies if mentioned before)

Niklas Gudmundsson

Anders Andersson

Patrik Andersson 

Good shout for Gudmundsson! He arrived with a lot of hype around his potential

Just little adjorn! But what about players that where heavily linked to us or that we bid for but it never happened? (think we can rule out a few obvious infamous names zidane, lewandowski, Roy keane because theyve been talked about to death over the years) 

One that always sticks in my head for some reason was a young polish striker called Marek Citko that we had a bid of around 5mill accepted for when he was at Widzew lodz! I think it was around 96 and he was seen as a potential replacement for shearer, Citko had just broke into the national team and scored a couple of goals(one against England) but he just flat out turned us down to carry on playing in Poland and his career looks to have been pretty lame there after... 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

17 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Patrik Andersson scored in the semi final of the Coca Cola Cup at Hillsborough.  In the 1st game Paul Warhurst destroyed us.  

Paul Warhurst 🙌 what a classy player, shame that we were never able to get a good run of games from him because of all the injuries. He was another player from that time who could play in defence, midfield or attack and do a top job

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

On 07/09/2022 at 18:46, SuperBrfc said:

This would have been around 2012/13 with the Portuguese players.

On the topic of Souness. I was reading just yesterday how he dealt with Bellamy at Newcastle. He subbed Bellamy off one game, with Bellamy aiming expletives his way when walking off.

Souness only found out about it later on when looking at the video footage of the game.

He grabs Bellamy by the throat, tells him he'll knock him out and to get in the gym where they'll sort it out like men. Shearer and a few of the others had to jump in to get Souey off him. It never got to the gym, but Kieron Dyer, who told the story, said it was the quietest he'd ever seen Bellamy.

Can't mess with Souness 😁.

I heard a version of the story that would probably get me banned (it's not exactly SFW) 🤫

On 07/09/2022 at 18:51, M_B said:

Cracking player Lucas Neill, hard as nails. He's coaching the girls teams at Stanley. 

Neill displaced John Curtis, who was a cracking player at championship level, but quickly forgotten.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ItsRoverZ said:

I remember him well, thought kean mismanaged him, I thought he looked really good when he played and would of loved to have seen more of him ha

Definitely mismanaged him, I was baffled we didn't see a lot more of him.

2 hours ago, JC4LAB said:

Any remember Johnny Price from the 70s  ?..He wasnt quite as  big as Samba.....

Johnny played for us from 1971-1974, making 76 appearances and scoring 12 goals. He’s started his career with the Dingles In 1960 and moved to Stockport in 1965 scoring 23 goals in 246 appearances, before moving to Ewood. He moved back to County scoring just once more in 66 games. He sadly died on 6th May  1995, just 8 days before we won the title.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, roverandout said:

What about forgotten players who nearly signed for us. Lewandowski because of an Ash cloud. Zidane was overruled because Jack thought sherwood was better. Dugarry would have come in a joint Zidane deal. 

Vincent kompany was apparently lined up to come before mark hughes went to city 😔

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

Johnny played for us from 1971-1974, making 76 appearances and scoring 12 goals. He’s started his career with the Dingles In 1960 and moved to Stockport in 1965 scoring 23 goals in 246 appearances, before moving to Ewood. He moved back to County scoring just once more in 66 games. He sadly died on 6th May  1995, just 8 days before we won the title.

We lost three in the weeks before we won the title; Mick Heaton first in a road traffic accident; Noel next after a heart attack atop his painting and decorating ladder, and little Johnny Price, who sadly took his own life 😥

RIP all three of them.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3