BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

On 15/09/2022 at 12:54, roversfan99 said:

He was crap. Slow, didn't score and assist, not skilful, not creative, not a good passer. I think he tried his best but nothing beyond that.

5 goals (4 of those in the cups though, only one in the league).  4 assists. In 73 appearances. Not a great record, though not sure how much of that was off the bench. But we've had worse.

I remember quite liking him as a squad player tbh, but maybe I'm just remembering patches of him being alright. Definitely worked hard, but I wouldn't put him in the Lowe category for lack of anything beyond that. Wasn't great, mind.

3 hours ago, Dreyski said:

Just checked Marshall's career. Still only 31, playing for Stoneclough in the West Lancashire Football League division 1 (12th tier).

Been there 2 or 3 years I believe, if he's still there. Fell out of love with the professional game a long time ago, think he has a mate at Stoneclough, so just plays there for fun. Did a very honest interview a while back if I recall.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2022 at 04:33, bluebruce said:

Been there 2 or 3 years I believe, if he's still there. Fell out of love with the professional game a long time ago, think he has a mate at Stoneclough, so just plays there for fun. Did a very honest interview a while back if I recall.

did an excellent under the cosh pod cast,very honest about his career

58 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Lars bohinen. Was a star at forest but didn't do that well at Rovers.  Egil ostenstad. Overweight and pretty poor 

I remember Bohinen for  his performance against Forest. He looked to be a world beater. Scored two goals and ran the show in a 7-0 thrashing. What went wrong after is a mystery.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Ostenstad scored two goals on his debut, I think. I also remember reading some quotes from him saying that he was about as much use a training cone by the end of his time at Rovers (or, perhaps, he was describing himself at the end of his career) - either way, didn't work out.

Per Frandsen and Carlos Villanueva were two that I was excited about and a lesson in having low expectations for signings. (I needed umpteen lessons before I became cynical, as I consider myself now.) Frandsen had a really good reputation at Bolton and I was expecting a classy playmaker, perhaps, a Claus Jensen type player. Villanueva looked unbelievable in highlight reels but, the best laid plans of mice and men...

A random name I'd throw out there is Nick Blackman, the winger/forward signed by Ince from Macclesfield. He has since had a career in Maccabi Haifa, in Israel. He is also playing for Barbados, these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

A random name I'd throw out there is Nick Blackman, the winger/forward signed by Ince from Macclesfield. He has since had a career in Maccabi Haifa, in Israel. He is also playing for Barbados, these days. 

That's a great shout.

How about Jemal Johnson?

4 hours ago, Dreyski said:

I remember Ostenstad coming to Ewood after Kevin Davies's disasterous season, in a rare example of a player exchange with no fee involved. Probably managed to look good by playing next to Ashley Ward, less so playing alongside Jansen.

Kevin Davies. Brutal signing.  7m was it?!

I remember Hodgsons first season was good then a disasrer after that.   The recruitment was awful 1995-2000

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Going back to nearly signings what was the actual story with Gary Lineker? Did Jack try to sign him from spurs or was that bullshit? Imagine a front two of shearer and Lineker 

he did actually and was apparently turned down very arrogantly by him,when lineker left barcelona brian clough enquired about signing him for forest and got the same reply,not a very nice person off the screen and the pitch

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dreyski said:

I remember Ostenstad coming to Ewood after Kevin Davies's disasterous season, in a rare example of a player exchange with no fee involved. Probably managed to look good by playing next to Ashley Ward, less so playing alongside Jansen.

Surprisingly, Ostenstad managed to last a good few years at Rovers. I thought it was less than the four years he had here.

I remember him looking decent in his first season in this Division, but with Ward and Co around him he would do, I suppose.

I don't remember him doing much else apart from playing in a few games in '02/03, his last season here. He scored in a game away at CSKA Sofia and started in the game at Celtic. An ok forward, seen much worse than him at Rovers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, den said:

Always thought Malcolm Darling had something special about him.

Chris Thomson

I rated Darling. He had it all, he was quick, could beat a man, two good feet, and for a guy with average height he had a good spring. On the downside he was a bit on the slight side, but so was Denis Law. I remember him getting a true hat trick against Portsmouth in the FA Cup. Right foot shot, left foot shot, and a header. I think the crowd got on his back for some reason. He had a long career in the lower leagues after he left Ewood. I saw him playing for Rochdale many times and he was always a threat. Didn’t we swap him for that stump Conlon ? Norwich saw us coming there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Going back to nearly signings what was the actual story with Gary Lineker? Did Jack try to sign him from spurs or was that bullshit? Imagine a front two of shearer and Lineker 

Lineker basically told Walker he was too good to sign for a small club like BRFC

"Shame Blackburn went down," he also said on a TV sports quiz show after we were relegated in 1999

You remember things like that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Kevin Davies. Brutal signing.  7m was it?!

I remember Hodgsons first season was good then a disasrer after that.   The recruitment was awful 1995-2000

7.5m IIRC. Still in third place for most expensive signing (although we exchanged Davies for Ostenstad so it was more like 3.75m each. Still more than either were worth.)

Agree with the second point. Henchoz was good but raw, we were unlucky with Dahlin, but only Jansen from that period leaves me with good memories. Thank goodness we had the academy bringing through Duff, Dunn, and a bit later, Taylor.

12 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Not forgotten but never mentioned but I used to love captain lee carsley. Was a great player for us in a poor side. Was gutted and angry when he went to Coventry and delighted when we went up and they went down. How do others remember him ?

Whenever I am reminded of him one thing springs to mind. Penalties. It felt like he scored a penalty for us every game during that first season post relegation. I don't know how many he scored, but it felt like a lot. I liked him, good player and was one of very few positives in a dull season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Whenever I am reminded of him one thing springs to mind. Penalties. It felt like he scored a penalty for us every game during that first season post relegation. I don't know how many he scored, but it felt like a lot. I liked him, good player and was one of very few positives in a dull season.

He must have scored a few for us. I remember the Eagle chants being reasonably frequent.

That was a terrible season.