BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

Seriously though how much money did hodgson and kidd piss up the wall! 

The only thing i can say in their defence was that selling clubs just knew we had money and where desperate for players after the dalglish era squad faded away, but whoever was doing our transfer negotiations at the time was shockingly bad. 

At least the players Dalglish paid big money for where mostly quality and we got our money back when they where later sold

• Like 6

A forgotten player is Tugay’s invisible friend who was extremely wasteful in possession but was always played, for obvious reasons.

I do feel that it’s forgotten that towards the end, Tugay was an erratic passer who’d frustrate the fans with several poor passes between a worldie. After all, he was in the team that narrowly avoided relegation and needed three central midfielders crammed into the team to help him (Douglas and Flitcroft in the wide positions, Andersen next to him).

Moreover, opposition teams sometimes took him out of the game with a more mobile marker, eg Chris Sutton for Celtic in the second leg of that UEFA cup tie, after Tugay ran the show at Ewood.

He was brilliant for us but age did catch up and he frustrated many at times.

Edited by riverholmes

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

A forgotten player is Tugay’s invisible friend who was extremely wasteful in possession but was always played, for obvious reasons.

I do feel that it’s forgotten that towards the end, Tugay was an erratic passer who’d frustrate the fans with several poor passes between a worldie.

Is it April fools day? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I do feel that it’s forgotten that towards the end, Tugay was an erratic passer who’d frustrate the fans with several poor passes between a worldie. After all, he was in the team that narrowly avoided relegation and needed three central midfielders crammed into the team to help him (Douglas and Flitcroft in the wide positions, Andersen next to him).

Moreover, opposition teams sometimes took him out of the game with a more mobile marker, eg Chris Sutton for Celtic in the second leg of that UEFA cup tie, after Tugay ran the show at Ewood.

couple of queries

who is andersen??

flitcroft never played wide in his whole career

the first leg was played at parkhead and the only person running the show at ewood was henrik larson

chris sutton was a centre forward and never ventured near tugay

get your facts right,learn your history and don`t diss tugay

• Like 3

5 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

couple of queries

who is andersen??

the first leg was played at parkhead and the only person running the show at ewood was henrik larson

Of course, I meant Martin Andresen, who was on loan and was part of the team that ground out survival in 2003/04 season. In a key win over Fulham, Souness fielded four central midfielders, such was the fragility of the team - Jonathan Douglas, Martin Andresen, Tugay and Garry Flitcroft: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3592783.stm

Thanks for the correction, yes, it was Ewood where we got outplayed by Celtic in that UEFA cup second leg. Chris Sutton is on record as saying that part of their tactics was to stop Tugay from playing and he played behind Hartson and Larsson. In an interview on the Open Goal Youtube channel he said: "We were 3-5-2 and, basically, I was given the job of sort of not letting him get his head up... let the other centre halves have the ball - if they're on the ball, fine - but don't let him play. So, I basically just rashed him all game. Every time he got the ball, played it backwards..."

None of this is to deny Tugay was an outstanding player for Rovers and key to our achievements under Souness, including the Worthington Cup success, UEFA cup qualification and so on. However, there's no doubt that there came a stage when his ball retention was not so good, though, he was still pulling off great passes and also scoring the odd wonder goal. I suppose it was inevitable, given the fact that he was at the end of his career by this time. It would be inaccurate not to acknowledge this reality. As we struggled in the league and faced relegation, it was not uncommon for fans to complain about Tugay's inconsistent passing and defensive weaknesses.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

couple of queries

who is andersen??

You’re wrong there mate. Sutton marked Tugay out of the game at Ewood. Even the dogs in the street know that.

• Like 4

On 25/09/2022 at 20:40, simongarnerisgod said:

Larsson only touched the ball about 4 times over the two legs, but he did what he did superbly well and scored a crucial goal in each leg. 

As others have pointed out, Sutton played deeper at Ewood and totally nullified Tugay, and in effect Rovers. I’m afraid your credibility is shot to pieces for not recognising that one. 

6 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Larsson only touched the ball about 4 times over the two legs, but he did what he did superbly well and scored a crucial goal in each leg. 

As others have pointed out, Sutton played deeper at Ewood and totally nullified Tugay, and in effect Rovers. I’m afraid your credibility is shot to pieces for not recognising that one. 

i must have missed the sutton marking job because i was to busy picking up the loose change all the celtic fans were throwing,paid for my dinners for a fortnight!!

• Like 3

On 25/09/2022 at 20:40, simongarnerisgod said:

couple of queries

who is andersen??

Pedant alert but Flitcroft did play wide right mid a couple of times under Hodgeson I think. The Manure home game is one of those times that sticks in the mind. 

As for Tugays invisible friend there was a time I can recall that happening but i'm also pretty sure (unless the memory is playing tricks on me) that it was for about one season and then he picked back up again.