BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

• Backroom
On 28/09/2022 at 21:27, bazza said:

Going back to Tugay, he really did seem to have an invisible friend, often referred to on this board.

He's still one of the best Rovers players I've ever seen.

I justified it by saying he was passing to where his teammates SHOULD have been 😅

• Like 3

• Backroom

Tin hat time - I remember once going mad at Tugay, even giving him a hearty booing

I want to say Middlesbrough at home, he got two of the laziest and most pointless bookings you could see, one was a handball for no reason on the edge of their box and was sent off before half time, we got battered.

Still a bonafide legend and icon  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

Tin hat time - I remember once going mad at Tugay, even giving him a hearty booing

I want to say Middlesbrough at home, he got two of the laziest and most pointless bookings you could see, one was a handball for no reason on the edge of their box and was sent off before half time, we got battered.

I have a feeling that was Sparky’s first game as manager. Or perhaps first home game as manager. 0-4 and you are spot on about Tugay that day.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I remember that game. As you say two really pointless bookings. Especially the one for handball. I think we ended up losing 4-0. I think Djorkaeff played in that game and scored a good goal- only for it to be disallowed for off-side.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Having looked at Delap's Derbies I noticed Terry Shanahan whom I had completely forgotten.

A  tall, long haired striker. A sort of poor man’s BBD. He played in the 7-1 banging at Shrewsbury. The low point in the history of the club. He scored twice against my adopted home town of Rochdale in a 3-0 win.

13 hours ago, Aqualung said:

John filan.... Goalkeeper. Aussie I think and met him a few times on various cricket grounds in the Ribblesdale league. 

Brilliant shot stopper but i remember him getting criticism for being a fairly quiet keeper and not organising his defenders well enough, Alan Kelly then came in as competition for him... Kelly was the opposite, all mouth but a very very average keeper... Friedel followed those 2 and the rest is history

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Brilliant shot stopper but i remember him getting criticism for being a fairly quiet keeper and not organising his defenders well enough, Alan Kelly then came in and as competition for him... Kelly was the opposite, all mouth but a very very average keeper... Friedel followed those 2 and the rest is history

kelly earned souness wrath when he had a shocker at sheff utd i think,the week after friedel had taken his place,did`nt mess about did souness🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Alan Wright.   Didnt realise he was still int he squad for 94-95.  I thought he had been sold on the previous summer.  He played at Old Trafford that season.  Cant recall him in any other game

Good little left back. I remember him having a real battle with Stuart Ripley when Ripley was playing for ‘Boro. Honours were even on the day but Ripley caught my eye. I was really pleased when we signed him later on.

Wasn't Alan Wright one of the first signings of Kenny Dalglish's reign? Good playe  but we replaced him with an even better one - Le Saux. That's how we were then and how you win championships - always strengthening and signing better players than they ones you have

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A  tall, long haired striker. A sort of poor man’s BBD. He played in the 7-1 banging at Shrewsbury. The low point in the history of the club. He scored twice against my adopted home town of Rochdale in a 3-0 win.

Wasnt he on loan from Halifax or Huddersfield ?

11 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Brilliant shot stopper but i remember him getting criticism for being a fairly quiet keeper and not organising his defenders well enough, Alan Kelly then came in and as competition for him... Kelly was the opposite, all mouth but a very very average keeper... Friedel followed those 2 and the rest is history

Another Rovers keeper around that time was Alan Miller - only played two games for us but was also our sub keeper in the league cup win. Sadly passed away last year. Only 51.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Wasn't Alan Wright one of the first signings of Kenny Dalglish's reign? Good playe  but we replaced him with an even better one - Le Saux. That's how we were then and how you win championships - always strengthening and signing better players than they ones you have

i don`t think there was much difference between wright and lesaux,apart from lesaux being a complete p***k,wright had a very good career in the premier league with villa after leaving,it`s one of the few positions  that did`nt need changing to challenge for the title

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i don`t think there was much difference between wright and lesaux,apart from lesaux being a complete p***k,wright had a very good career in the premier league with villa after leaving,it`s one of the few positions  that did`nt need changing to challenge for the title

OK so you've got a thing about Le Saux but there can be little doubt he had more to offer as a player than Wright (good though he was). For a start, he was left footed, which made the team more balanced, he was quicker, and he was far more of an attacking threat. In case you're in any doubt, England caps: Le Saux 36, Wright 0. Rovers were a better team with Le Saux

• Like 5