BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

Adam Henley's an interesting one. Broke into the team when we were in the Premier League, was Young Player of the Year,  got caps for Wales but struggled later and, apparently, now plays for Chorley.

Keith Barker, a few years further back, was a formidable strike partner in youth football for Joe Garner, but gave up football to become a first class cricketer for Warwickshire and Hampshire. I think he might have been of the same era as Raffaele De Vita

Does anyone else remember checking transfer news on the internet, in the late 1990s on a website that listed news headlines URL links in a series of rows? Kind of like the news aggregator site, NewsNow or even Teletext, albeit, it was a dedicated football site and, I think, latest news was presented in a pop-up box with live updates. I appreciate that this might be describing a lot of sites. I'd be on that site after school every day to check if Rovers had signed anyone.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm pretty sure Robbie Fowler never scored for us.

I do have a vague memory of him scoring one really good goal for us 🤔

EDIT! actually  no don't seem find any record of him scoring for us. maybe it was just one good fowler esque shot on goal that just missed the back of the net on one of his few appearances

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2022 at 20:54, roverandout said:

Roque santa cruz. He had a good season but going to man city was a mistake.  I think that signing underlined that Hughes wasn't up to the city job. 

We mustn't (or we probably should to be honest) forget Julio Santa Cruz, the younger brother of Roque. He graced us with 11 games for the reserve team betweem 2008 and 2011.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lsp82 said:

Does anyone remember a Bob Dewhurst? 

yes,a skinny,lanky centre back back,one of don  mackays plethora of youth players who he picked in the 1990/91 season,collier,shepstone,skinner,johnrose and dewhurst,frankly, skinner,shepstone and collier were not up to it,only lenny and bob dewhurst held their own,when the don was sacked jack walker had taken over and had bigger plans,lenny went to pne and i think dewhurst ended up at hull then exeter,though never likely to be a top player,bob dewhurst did an ok job,i do remember him clattering a young david james who was playing for watford,sparking an all out brawl,adding the spectacle was the blackburn end who were given free applause bars ( a new chocolate bar) half where eaten and the other half got thrown at david james😆

• Like 4

Without reading the rest of this thread I’ll throw a few players out there and if just one person reads it and has genuinely forgot this player ever played for us or even existed then I’ll have done my job. 😂

Herold Goulon, Vince Grella, Maceo Rigters, Franny Jeffers, Radosav Petrovic, Fabio Nunes, Bruno Ribiero, Javier De Pedro, Jemal Johnson, Hakan Unsal

They are just off the top of my head. 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 19/09/2022 at 13:25, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Jim Smith, who was Derby manager at the time, told the story that he’d heard that Hodgson was interested in Dailly. He passed it on to his chairman who said “ Remember Jim, not a penny less than £2 Million if they get on to you “.

Apparently Hodgson’s opening offer was £5 Million and Jim Smith talked it up to £5.25 Million. £5 Million more than he was worth !

I can't help but think Dailly might still be in our top 10 transfer fees paid.

Cole, Rhodes, Davies, Grabbi, Brereton, Kalinic (£6m?)...don't know if there's any others.

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Dreyski said:

I can't help but think Dailly might still be in our top 10 transfer fees paid.

Cole, Rhodes, Davies, Grabbi, Brereton, Kalinic (£6m?)...don't know if there's any others.

I think Barry ‘homesick’ Ferguson was up there as well 

there was a time when everyone seemed to cost £5m I bet we didn’t pay much less for the likes of Nathan Blake 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1