BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

On 08/09/2022 at 15:16, simongarnerisgod said:

simon vukjevic,looked as if he would rather walk down the m65 in rush hour than play football

The rumour I heard was that he didn't really want to play football. He really wanted to be a monk.

(Not intended to be a set up for a pun about crosses)

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

was that his one and only appearance,i can recall the game,he was inspired,like a human wall

I think he played a handful of other games but it certainly wasn't many. Unluckily for him he was behind someone who never missed a game

• Like 3

On 30/08/2022 at 14:29, lraC said:

He did marry Christine Kitchin, a Darwen Girl.

Is he the same Peter Devine who took that dreadful penalty on nick hancocks football nightmares?! 90s cult classic

edit: just seen someone else confirm this further back 😂

Edited by SamTheShrew

34 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Might have been mentioned earlier but anyone remember Yordi, a big Spanish striker?

Only played 8 times but one appearance was as a sub in the 2002 League Cup triumph.

A strange signing but he will remember his short time with Rovers

Yeah I mentioned him a few pages back. He was similar to a few players In that he won a trophy after only being here a few games. Similar to Tony gale and Richard witschge

Edited by roverandout

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Might have been mentioned earlier but anyone remember Yordi, a big Spanish striker?

Only played 8 times but one appearance was as a sub in the 2002 League Cup triumph.

A strange signing but he will remember his short time with Rovers

the week after the cup final triumph we played southampton and he started and scored,he looked a very capable player,sadly for whatever reason he faded out of the picture and went back to spain

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Hakan sukur.  Was a world class forward but by the time he arrived at Rovers he was past his best.  He only ever really succeeded in Turkey 

Sukur was in the Rovers team when a friend was the Rovers mascot and we were invited into the dressing room before the game. Shook his hand! Top class player in his pomp

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

Hakan sukur.  Was a world class forward but by the time he arrived at Rovers he was past his best.  He only ever really succeeded in Turkey 

I remember a game, at Fulham I think, when he gave a master class in how to play centre forward. Another one who fell foul of Souey when he was on his way to losing the plot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the week after the cup final triumph we played southampton and he started and scored,he looked a very capable player,sadly for whatever reason he faded out of the picture and went back to spain

He scored a belting towering header in that Southampton game. I can still see his celebration, arms outstretched like Superman running towards the Riverside, Darwen End side. I was sat there for that game, so had a good view of it.

I remember the fans were desperate for him to do well and the roar when that header went in was brilliant. He scored away at Boro shortly after and I thought we might be onto something, but it wasn't to be. Only 8 appearances, but he did get to play a small part in us winning a trophy, so fair play.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember a game, at Fulham I think, when he gave a master class in how to play centre forward. Another one who fell foul of Souey when he was on his way to losing the plot.

Think that was when they were playing at Loftus Rd.  We were behind the goal and got a cracking view of his second,  We won 4-0 that night.  Pity he couldn't have hung around for a bit longer, would have been very handy if he caarried on like that.