BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Tony gale. Played 1 season he won a league title 

The cause of my most embarrassing moment in football. My youngest son and I were waiting for autographs outside the main stand. Jeff Kenna had just made his debut and had played well.

I thought I saw him coming out so I said “ Well played Jeff, can my son have your autograph ? “  He replied “ You can have my autograph but I’m not Jeff “.

When I looked at the autograph it was Tony Gale !

They do look a bit similar in my defence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The cause of my most embarrassing moment in football. My youngest son and I were waiting for autographs outside the main stand. Jeff Kenna had just made his debut and had played well.

I thought I saw him coming out so I said “ Well played Jeff, can my son have your autograph ? “  He replied “ You can have my autograph but I’m not Jeff “.

When I looked at the autograph it was Tony Gale !

They do look a bit similar in my defence.

I had a similar experience getting autographs.  It was the 80s and there was a charity football match with rugby players footballers etc I managed to get Bryan robsons autograph but there was a black rugby player called Martin offiah I think it was. I went to get his autograph and he said do you know who I am. I said no. He looked pissed off. But he gave me his autograph anyway. I was only about 8 so I didn't know any different really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I had a similar experience getting autographs.  It was the 80s and there was a charity football match with rugby players footballers etc I managed to get Bryan robsons autograph but there was a black rugby player called Martin offiah I think it was. I went to get his autograph and he said do you know who I am. I said no. He looked pissed off. But he gave me his autograph anyway. I was only about 8 so I didn't know any different really. 

Best winger I ever saw. He could run backwards faster than most players could run forwards.

• Like 3

My most embarrassing experience hunting autographs was because of my little snake friend humiliating me. I was out playing football in the school yard and my friend said that's Russell something who plays for Burnley having a kick around with his son. He begged me to get his autograph and promised I could play on his nes.  So I said OK I went over to him and asked for his autograph. The guy gave me a bewildered look.  I said you are Russell (can't remember his name) he said no I'm not. I looked at my friend he was rolling around the floor laughing.  I went back to him red as a beetroot.  The guy was just an ordinary guy playing with his son

38 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

sergio peter

Three assists, or so, on his full debut, I vaguely remember, with Bellamy scoring. But he didn't fulfill his potential and his career faded quickly. There were always claims that he had a negative attitude - though, don't know any details. If I remember rightly, he messed up a Panenka penalty attempt in a pre-season game which added to his reputation (though, I'm going off hazy memory).

That was back in the day that Rovers recruited many more overseas youth players from France, Germany and Spain. From Germany, I remember Mamadi Keita, Kevin Pezzoni and Bjorn Bussman who played U18s or U21s. I think the consensus was that Peter had the talent to do well but something went wrong.

I was reminded of him last season with Reda Khadra on the wing, also a German and to my vague memory, bears a resemblance to Peter.

Edit: He moved to Sparta Prague but had his contract terminated. Peter's account is recorded in a German language interview I came across on SPOX.com: "I had a good feeling, it was good in the team, the coach relied on me. However, I was only allowed to eat salad and water at the training camp in two weeks and suffered a circulatory collapse on the way back from Hong Kong in London and was hospitalized. During that time, the team flew on to Spain for the next training camp and I really wanted to go with them. So I left the hospital at my own risk to fly after the team. But on the way to the airport I collapsed again - and after that it was over. I couldn't take it anymore, I had depression and anxiety. I only felt comfortable at home, didn't go out and didn't want to see my friends anymore."

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

On 01/09/2022 at 15:58, Oldgregg86 said:

Remember a Scottish lad David mcnamee being in a squad once or have I made that up

Nope, signed alongside Bobo O'Brien.

You can add Jimmy Corbett from around that era also.

• Backroom
On 01/09/2022 at 13:44, Norbert Rassragr said:

There was a French player, possibly signed by Big Sam, who I don't remember ever getting a game. Goulon I think.

Goulon played in the hammering at old Trafford

Bryan Dabo came on loan and never got a game but went onto some ok clubs after he left 

Remember the keeper Gregor Samiderski (or similar) who looked great for one game at the end of the season but then moved on 

Peter Enkelman (got a few end-of-season dead rubbers as understudy to Friedel)

Steve Harkness (a poor man's Dominic Matteo)

The mention of Goulon reminded me of Maceo Rigters and Elrio Van Heerden. I don't think either of them started a league game?

4 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Chris Coleman.  Another dud signed in the 1995/96 season. Cant even picture him playing any game.

He was like the Sha-a-dow.

He comes and he goes and no-one knows

He broke his leg. He was never forgotten and always got a good reception from us when he came back as Fulham manager.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

He broke his leg. He was never forgotten and always got a good reception from us when he came back as Fulham manager.

I though he was a decent player. My memory of him is being played out of position at left back when he was really a left sided centre half. Things like that never end well. Apart from Maldini there aren’t many who can play both positions and look a natural.

• Like 3