BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (a) - 31/8/22

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm not sure what your point is especially, but you've clearly contradicted yourself. 

Regardless, AW is mobile and fairly quick, and not afraid to put his foot in. He's already proved he can have a 'physical impact'. He's clearly not the same build as BJ but neither was David Batty. BJ only advantage was his height when he was at Rovers. 

I’m not sure I have. Bradley Johnson was imposing. He never shirked a tackle and had a full mans frame. He was big, tall and he was strong… and clever with how he played central midfield. He might not have been mobile or quick anymore but I guarantee he wins almost every 50/50 with both Wharton and Garrett. 

Wharton and Garrett will both grow into their frames. But right now there will be midfielders in this league that will bully Wharton/Buckley/Morton/Garrett. Like Sheffield United did. I predict we will see this in the derby games. 

Equally, there will be midfields in this league that Wharton, Buckley, Morton and Garrett can embarrass playing around them, because they’re superb footballers. 

• Like 1

Tackling is more about timing than brute strength. With the game changing so much and less physical contact allowed there are a lot less hard, physical challenges. Wharton put in two excellent tackles on Bowler with a second or two. He won both cleanly and fairly with very little contact on Bowler. 

That's the main reason I don't buy into the 'too small' thinking. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Tackling is more about timing than brute strength. With the game changing so much and less physical contact allowed there are a lot less hard, physical challenges. Wharton put in two excellent tackles on Bowler with a second or two. He won both cleanly and fairly with very little contact on Bowler. 

Definitely, good tacklers don’t rely on strength, it’s a skill in it’s own right. It’s the size of what’s beating under the badge that counts most. How big was Nobby Stiles ?  A pal of mine played against him as a schoolboy and he said being tackled by Nobby was like having an electric shock up your leg !

Wharton looks like he likes a tackle, that matters most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I’m not sure I have. Bradley Johnson was imposing. He never shirked a tackle and had a full mans frame. He was big, tall and he was strong… and clever with how he played central midfield. He might not have been mobile or quick anymore but I guarantee he wins almost every 50/50 with both Wharton and Garrett. 

Wharton and Garrett will both grow into their frames. But right now there will be midfielders in this league that will bully Wharton/Buckley/Morton/Garrett. Like Sheffield United did. I predict we will see this in the derby games. 

Equally, there will be midfields in this league that Wharton, Buckley, Morton and Garrett can embarrass playing around them, because they’re superb footballers. 

Yes I agree with a lot that. Playing twice a week is demanding. Their stamina will have to be built up.

35 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Saw on Twitter, a collage of Adam Wharton from the Blackpool game. An absolute joy to watch and can’t believe the lad is only 17 years old. We have a real asset on our hands here. Can’t do the link but it’s on this Twitter account. 

@freflchampvids 

He isn't, he's 18. A young 18 though, birthday was 2nd June.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

But right now there will be midfielders in this league that will bully Wharton/Buckley/Morton/Garrett. Like Sheffield United did. I predict we will see this in the derby games

Yes, just like the Seasiders did.

5 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm not sure what your point is especially, but you've clearly contradicted yourself. 

Regardless, AW is mobile and fairly quick, and not afraid to put his foot in. He's already proved he can have a 'physical impact'. He's clearly not the same build as BJ but neither was David Batty. BJ only advantage was his height when he was at Rovers. 

He means he can't run  as well as he used to but he's much more experienced. He's better at dealing with more physical challenges.  Wharton is still a boy really 

Edited by roverandout

4 hours ago, J*B said:

2021 Bradley Johnson doesn't get near Wharton - well, not legally at least. 

His legs had completely gone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Saw on Twitter, a collage of Adam Wharton from the Blackpool game. An absolute joy to watch and can’t believe the lad is only 17 years old. We have a real asset on our hands here. Can’t do the link but it’s on this Twitter account. 

@freflchampvids 

He’s 18 mate

On 02/09/2022 at 14:21, arbitro said:

You are partly right about tackling - but when going shoulder to shoulder, or challenging in the air, size does matter. Also, when putting a team under pressure - physical presence does play a part - a block tackle from Bradley Johnson is going to disrupt most players more than one from Buckley.

I think the other aspect is experience - more experienced players put in challenges that they get away with, little elbows here and there, little shirt tugs etc. 

• Like 1