BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (a) - 31/8/22

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

I remember watching last night just thinking how ineffective Dolan had been, particularly in the first hour or so - don't know what minute he went off, but he had a couple of flashes in the second half. 

We can't consider him a starting player - he's good to have buzzing about for 15mins at the end, but he is so lacking physically - not just strength, but pace, balance, ability to get himself between man and ball.  I really hope that Hirst can bring some power and pace up there. 

Mowbray been showing him videos of Smallwood?

29 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Young Wharton reminds me of Gazza when hes travelling with the ball.  What a player this lad can be....a real footballer and a Blackburn lad....none of this gtr Manchester bollards.

Loved his sky interview last night, when he stated he is Blackburn born and bred. It will be great to have two in the first team, once Scott is fit and cheer some proper local heroes.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, 47er said:

Were we? Never noticed that. Some people might have been critical of recent results or slow progress with transfers---I do remember some of that going on.

We need more bodies in the building no doubt about that, we'll not play an extremely poor Blackpool side every week (First 15 minutes aside) they only had 1 shot on target all match!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

First 15 minutes aside)

and last 10 minutes? Nearly threw it away there. Got to take more of our chances. Mind you we should have had a penalty.

It was clearer than their claim and would have killed the game at 2-0.

A good away win and gives us back some confidence.

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed last night. Remember getting some pelters on here for suggesting Adam Wharton and Jake Garrett were adequate Jacob Davenport and Bradley Johnson replacements. I'd suggest they're actually improvements overall as a pairing vs a paring.

Really enjoyable away day last night and great result to stop the rot. I don't think the performance was brilliant but key to get 3 points.

On a day with numerous positives, Adam Wharton was the stand out, not only very good on the ball but very industrious off it.

I stand by my comment that we could never come into this season expecting a flurry of youngsters to all come through at once and that they should be able to come through only if and when they are ready, Vale isn't ready and may never be and Phillips isn't ready yet either but Wharton has taken to it like a duck to water. Obviously question marks longer term about whether he can sustain it but very exciting.

Elsewhere, outstanding pass by Dack who showed his class and why he needs to play week in week out, you do wonder where Szmodics fits in other than back up to him.

Also was really happy with how Hyam slotted in aside Carter who was also good. Pickering has got lots of criticism lately but really solid and steady again, one of our better performers at the start of the season.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

I left Lancashire when I was 12 and am now in my mid-50s. I attended Salesbury Primary and lived in Wilpshire, where I believe the Wharton brothers are from. There was a Wharton in the year below me but who played in the same Salesbury team as me, around 1979. I want to say his name was Andrew, but my memory is not the best with names. Does anyone know if he is their father/uncle? 

Their dads called John aka Johnny or spinner as he was a top junior pin bowler till Lancashire got hold of him and coached it out of him. I played football with him and with out a doubt should have been a professional football himself.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Really enjoyable away day last night and great result to stop the rot. I don't think the performance was brilliant but key to get 3 points.

On a day with numerous positives, Adam Wharton was the stand out, not only very good on the ball but very industrious off it.

I stand by my comment that we could never come into this season expecting a flurry of youngsters to all come through at once and that they should be able to come through only if and when they are ready, Vale isn't ready and may never be and Phillips isn't ready yet either but Wharton has taken to it like a duck to water. Obviously question marks longer term about whether he can sustain it but very exciting.

Elsewhere, outstanding pass by Dack who showed his class and why he needs to play week in week out, you do wonder where Szmodics fits in other than back up to him.

Also was really happy with how Hyam slotted in aside Carter who was also good. Pickering has got lots of criticism lately but really solid and steady again, one of our better performers at the start of the season.

Vale shown last night when he is ready, good link up play, almost scored with a good finish, gave us a focal point we need second half. 

Why isn't Phillips ready? he had a good game at Saturday and other games. 

Hyam led the back 4 in orgnaising, talking to other team players where to be, proper leader at the back. 

Agreed on Carter and Pickering comments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Vale shown last night when he is ready, good link up play, almost scored with a good finish, gave us a focal point we need second half. 

Why isn't Phillips ready? he had a good game at Saturday and other games. 

Hyam led the back 4 in orgnaising, talking to other team players where to be, proper leader at the back. 

Agreed on Carter and Pickering comments. 

The ball didnt stick more than once Vale came on and based across his various appearances, I dont think that he is ready. Phillips likewise, he is much younger and has I dont think managed to last the full game in any of his appearances, he seems physically not ready for Championship regular football and prone to muscular injuries as he grows, didnt he also miss quite a few reserve games due to injury last season? He also has struggled in the air and although it is obviously not solely down to him, its not a coincedence that we have 3 clean sheets with him and 4 without him. Thats fine, hes probably 6th choice now so he can be used sparingly and maybe even loaned out either this season or even next if he signs long term.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The ball didnt stick more than once Vale came on and based across his various appearances, I dont think that he is ready. Phillips likewise, he is much younger and has I dont think managed to last the full game in any of his appearances, he seems physically not ready for Championship regular football and prone to muscular injuries as he grows, didnt he also miss quite a few reserve games due to injury last season? He also has struggled in the air and although it is obviously not solely down to him, its not a coincedence that we have 3 clean sheets with him and 4 without him. Thats fine, hes probably 6th choice now so he can be used sparingly and maybe even loaned out either this season or even next if he signs long term.

We have disagreed on Vale cos I think he is ready to play a part in this team. Will be good player for us. 

Phillips a great talent and I expected we announce his new contract shortly and he will play his part here. 

Didn't struggled in the air on Saturday against Stoke either 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think if anything Vale showed us how terrible Dolan is...Vale resembled a footballer, although a season on loan in league 1 is probably best for him.  Dolan on the other hand has mastered the art of being a carthorse that looks like a 100m sprinter.  No football brain, shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

22 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think if anything Vale showed us how terrible Dolan is...Vale resembled a footballer, although a season on loan in league 1 is probably best for him.  Dolan on the other hand has mastered the art of being a carthorse that looks like a 100m sprinter.  No football brain, shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

Dolan is not very effective either but hes a level above Vale.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

Thoroughly enjoyed last night. Remember getting some pelters on here for suggesting Adam Wharton and Jake Garrett were adequate Jacob Davenport and Bradley Johnson replacements. I'd suggest they're actually improvements overall as a pairing vs a paring.

I don’t think Wharton or Garrett can have the physical impact on a game that Bradley Johnson could. And potentially Davenport could. 

Bradley especially was a top level pro. His legs had gone, but everything else was still there including experience which only comes from the decade of top level football. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

I mean nobody has come close to that kind of performance from CM since Tugay... so yes I think it's safe to say they're an upgrade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J*B said:

I don’t think Wharton or Garrett can have the physical impact on a game that Bradley Johnson could. And potentially Davenport could. 

Bradley especially was a top level pro. His legs had gone, but everything else was still there including experience which only comes from the decade of top level football. 

I didn't ever see Jacob Davenport have a physical impact on a game, at least not in the way that we've seen from Jake Garrett across the friendlies & cup game. Proper no nonsense, rough stuff. A Travis 2.0 type. 

As for experience, sure, Johnson had that. But I'd take a class act like Adam Wharton over experience any day.

11 hours ago, J*B said:

I'm not sure what your point is especially, but you've clearly contradicted yourself. 

Regardless, AW is mobile and fairly quick, and not afraid to put his foot in. He's already proved he can have a 'physical impact'. He's clearly not the same build as BJ but neither was David Batty. BJ only advantage was his height when he was at Rovers.