BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (a) - 31/8/22

3 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

His press goes unnoticed. Don’t get me wrong I don’t entirely rate him but he has some useful attributes. 

Vale pressed really well also & I have the same opinion on him. Both should of scored tonight.

I need more than work rate. I haven’t seen much from vale either 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

My mate is Adam and Scott's cousin. And when Scott finally broke through into the first team, he told us about Adam. He said he's even better and plays midfield. But wow what a game and a half he has had there. 

Heard the same from someone who knows their dad - he's right.

What a joy to watch from the goal onwards. 

Adam Wharton, if that was a new signing that cost us £10m and was 26 I'd be raving. He's 18! What a debut and what a player. I can't wait to see how far he can go. 

JDT is a real breath of fresh air. I've not felt this happy, proud and optimistic for Rovers for a while! 

• Like 7

Pleased with the performance tonight which built on a decent second half vs stoke on Saturday.

Sluggish start but once we scored we really settled into a rhythm and looked good. We pressed well, created more chances than  we have been doing and really should've buried them, I thought grimshaw in their goal made 2 really good saves which helped keep them in it. However they could quite easily have nicked one at the end  which would've been partly self inflicted.

Performance wise thought Carter, until his tug of war with Yates at the end, had a good game, he mobile, strong and technically sound. Morton impressed again. Dack proving that he needed to be persevered with, sprinkles of quality including the goal but looks to be contributing more off the ball. Hyam looks like a astute transfer already, a real steady eddy, very solid.

Oh yeah and Adam Wharton was every bit as good as everyone is saying. It's hyperbole, he was that good tonight.

• Like 2

My feed had the Radio Lancs commentary and they were creaming themselves over Wharton. Possibly Ormerod on commentary ranked it as the best debut he had ever witnessed. Think they were positioned with the Rovers fans too as the chants were coming through loud and clear.

Enjoyed how we have adopted the Toure chant for the Wharton bros.

• Like 2

Big call from Jdt to take trav out the middle and go with two youngsters in a derby match away from home. Deserves praise for having confidence in the lads, although I thought he got the subs wrong which led to us inviting pressure - I mean edun?!. But yea he is learning as a manager in this division too 

• Like 2

Just now, callumrovers said:

Adam Wharton. 🤩 

this lad has a big future, to play like that at 18 is unbelievable.

what a performance.

To him it was just Wednesday.

I'm saying that because he was just as good on Saturday. I think that's standard for young Adam.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Big call from Jdt to take trav out the middle and go with two youngsters in a derby match away from home. Deserves praise for having confidence in the lads, although I thought he got the subs wrong which led to us inviting pressure - I mean edun?!. But yea he is learning as a manager in this division too 

That was my concern at kick off time. The game was going to be won by whoever got a grip of the middle of the park. Our young lads didn’t let us down.

I’d like us to start games like we’re already a goal up in future.

• Like 3

Decent performance after we scored. I think JDT has done as well as could be reasonably expected with this squad given the dire state Mowbray left it in and Waggott and Broughton's seeming misapprehension that the season starts on September the 3rd against Bristol City.

If Phillips is a £40m - £50m player in the making then Wharton is an £80m  - £90m one. Over to you Messrs Waggott and Broughton on the contract front.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Travis played well there in the second half against Stoke. We really didn't have anyone else to put there - not unless you played Carter there and asked Phillips to play twice in the week.

I think the Edun sub was just game management as we've got another game in 3 days time.  - needed fresh legs on and we simply don't have the squad (not with 4 out injured atm). 

I'd also add that Wharton and Morton absolutely bossed it in the second half against Stoke.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 1

How good is the Adam/Scotty Wharton chant?

What a horrendous setup with the turnstiles first of all though, beyond amateur. As for the bottle throwing muppets at half time? Why oh why.

As for the match, absolutely superb and just what we needed. Let's not forget they have scored 6 in their last 2 games. Barely had a sniff tonight.

• Like 1

One man in that stadium plays that ball for Brereton's goal on his left side. Sublime.

Wharton needs an 8 year contract, but we need 4 signings tomorrow looking at that bench.

Hyam - wow. As commanding a centre half performance as you'll see this season.

Absolutely delighted with the result first and foremost but the team performance also delighted me. That is the best we have played this season with a great tempo, intensity and one/two touch play. Quite simply when we were at it they couldn't live with us. Although the start seemed a little slow I think it was part of the plan. Blackpool pressed to such a degree for twenty minutes it was almost as if they had run out of energy and they stood off us a lot more. That is when Wharton and Morton took control of the game and pretty much dictated everything. In such a great team performance it's almost unfair to pick one player out but Adam Wharton was terrific. His ball retention was sublime and a friend texted me after the game to say Don Goodman (who I think is the best pundit) said it was the best debut he has ever seen. High praise indeed.

And the fans were really good which to be fair was acknowledged in the post match interviews with Tomasson, Wharton and Brereton. A good night to be a Rovers fan.

Edit:

I don't know how clear the chant for Adam was but it goes:

Oh, oh, oh he's magic,

You know,

Wharton the Wilpshire Pirlo.

Brilliant.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Heard the same from someone who knows their dad - he's right.

I left Lancashire when I was 12 and am now in my mid-50s. I attended Salesbury Primary and lived in Wilpshire, where I believe the Wharton brothers are from. There was a Wharton in the year below me but who played in the same Salesbury team as me, around 1979. I want to say his name was Andrew, but my memory is not the best with names. Does anyone know if he is their father/uncle?