BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (h) 18/10/2022

4 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Was around 3,700, very impressive by any standards. 

That means there were 11,000 Rovers fans, and 300 or so season ticket no shows. 

We really need a thousand or so floaters to understand that this matchday experience is better than their mates tell them it is, and certainly better than masturbating over the red button.

There are 1000+ Roves fans who consider going to the game but decide to spend £12 on Now TV, or spend £20+ watching it in the pub. 

Please don't reply to this if you are unable to get to Ewood, for whatever reason, this isn't directed at you. 

It is a genuine, top class, sporting experience, and it is on your doorstep, for the price of a few pints. 

It may be the final piece of the jigsaw..

So annoying but again club actions don't help shoving the price up, 20 quid sounds better for a live tv game than 25 and i'm sure it put a few off.

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Was nice to enjoy a Mowbray team from the other perspective, watching two wingers blitz the ball into the box all night to only 5'6" Alex Pritchard 🤣

Only 1 moan for me, why I have to hear Vincent Kompany's name chanted from the BBE about 18 times, plus infinite other anti Burnley chants, I do not know. Can we stop with the Burnley fascination, its stinks of inferiority, we're top of the pissing league!

We sung and chanted about Burnley a lot more when we were vastly superior to them in terms of League position, and dominance. 

The rest of the ground, and opposition fans, have heard the Blackburn End a lot more recently. 

The raison d'etre of the BB End, for me, is to generate the atmosphere, that the rest of the ground continues. 

The atmosphere generates around 10 points per season. 

Please sing about Burnley, or any motivational subject, to ensure the players hear it. 

It is vital. 

Everyone is welcome to join the singers, and influence their choice of songs, and chants. 

The Jack Walker and Riverside are soooo much more vocal when the BB End are leading the singing...

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So annoying but again club actions don't help shoving the price up, 20 quid sounds better for a live tv game than 25 and i'm sure it put a few off.

I'm all for promotional pricing, but our matchday prices are already cheaper than most of the Championship prices, and many of the League One matchday entry prices. 

As I said, we have 1000+ going to the pub or paying for a Now TV or Sky Pass. 

What   A   Night ! ! ! 

A solid performance from all involved. Rovers looked comfortable in letting Sunderland attack them throughout the second half. As I and others said during the game; if the final ball improved there would have been a couple more goals. 

Did JDT switch fullbacks to counteract their also wrong footed wingers? I liked the look of Clarke. He had a bit of Grealish about him, but no one ahead of him to finish.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Even after multiple slo-mo’s from different angles, I wasn’t entirely sure if he’d made contact with the ball, made contact with the player, or the player made too much of it. Shouldn’t be giving penalties when it’s absolutely not clear in real time what happened.

I thought the Sky pundits were a bit OTT on it and seemed anti Rovers for some reason, most of the night. 

• Like 2

11,500 home fans is fine for a night game on Sky when we only have 8,500 ST holders. Remember this time last season only around 9,000 home fans were attending night games.

How do you get bigger crowds? You sell more STs, simple as that, always been how it works at this club. Indeed, substantially higher ST sales is the sole reason that PNE, Bolton are pulling 14-16k through their gates every week. And we know who is to blame for us not doing so…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Miller11 said:

His subs seemed pretty desperate and harked back to his throw enough shit and some will stick approach he favoured with us in lockdown.

I didn’t know a lot about most of their squad, but they had some tidy looking players, not least Roberts. Some nice one and two touch stuff in the first half, and some really effective dribbling in the second. Not to worry though, Mowbray will coach all that individuality out of them by the time the World Cup break is over. They will all be learning to play like Cory Evans.

There was a classic Evans moment in the second half. A good Sunderland move threatening the box. Ball finds its way to our Corry 25 yards out...and 10 feet over the bar it goes.

The bloke behind me used to say he should have had a clause in his contract forbidding him to shoot.

He had 8 seasons with us making 206 apps. 4 goals! In fairness a defensive midfielder.He had his moments but by and large frustrating to watch if actually a likeable player in many ways.

36 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Not getting too excited at the moment - it was a good first half performance, second half was difficult to judge as we obviously sat back.

At the end of the day, the game swung on the penalty decision. If it had been given this MB may have been a different place.

We weren't playing well when we scored and we're not really playing well in general, but getting results.

Burnley fans I know keep bemoaning dropping 10 points from winning positions,so I tell em we've lost 7 games,think about that.

I keep waiting for us to click, but it isn't quite happening over a full 90 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnradfordsubbuteo said:

There was a classic Evans moment in the second half. A good Sunderland move threatening the box. Ball finds its way to our Corry 25 yards out...and 10 feet over the bar it goes.

The bloke behind me used to say he should have had a clause in his contract forbidding him to shoot.

He had 8 seasons with us making 206 apps. 4 goals! In fairness a defensive midfielder.He had his moments but by and large frustrating to watch if actually a likeable player in many ways.

In fairness he probably went off injured in half those games. 

That's an average of 25 games per season which I'm not too sure what to make of. Given there are 46 league games per year it's pretty poor, although it's vastly more than I recall him making. 

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Silence in the first half (he wasn't introduced as a homecoming hero to the crowd and he barely left the dugout). A few mocking chants of "Mowbray, what's the score?" and "Mowbray, sort it out!" when they were down 2-0.

Slunk off down the tunnel after the final whistle too. 

I'm fairly neutral on ToMo overall but he did say he was pleased to see "the football club" (why do people say that?) doing well and it sounded genuine.

• Like 1

Anyone else think Morton is now crucial to this team? Knits it together, links back to front, great ball carrier and passer. He reminds me of Tugay, which is some compliment. He takes responsibility and with it risks, but I could always forgive Toogs the odd time he cost us. His confidence for such a young player is other worldly.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, johnradfordsubbuteo said:

Anyone else think Morton is now crucial to this team? Knits it together, links back to front, great ball carrier and passer. He reminds me of Tugay, which is some compliment. He takes responsibility and with it risks, but I could always forgive Toogs the odd time he cost us. His confidence for such a young player is other worldly.

Morton has show his passing quality, skill and the closing down ability. Good player. Shame he not our player but we Wharton and Garrett tho

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

As for the 11,500 home fans,good vocal  support but how the hell can we get more through the Turnstiles?

The simple answer to that is more season ticket holders.

We should have upwards of 14,000 of those given that's what PNE and Bolton have, there's absolutely no reason we couldn't.

Unfortunately it is too late now, as sales are done and the prices set. Anything from here on in will be minimal numbers and club is constrained on pricing because they can't make a habit of undercutting the season ticket rate.

Want more fans? Don't charge top prices, get season tickets on sale sooner and promote them better. PNE were going round Garstang putting flyers through doors. We did nowt.

Sadly it won't make any difference. The aim here isn't to increase numbers but to increase immediate cash flow. So Waggott will repeat it all over again next summer and then we can have this same discussion next autumn after a further price rise and drop off.

• Like 7

On reflection really happy with last nights result. What was great about it was we managed to combine both being defensively resolute and always looking a threat on the counter. We were lucky with the pen and the offside but deserved the victory I would say.

I was skeptical about the inverted full backs but offensively they worked very well. Defensively Brittain and Hedges lost their positions quite a lot but managed to recover well. Hedges looked like he'd played wing back all his life with some great tackles. I'd still prefer it if we swapped Brittain and Hedges over.

Midfield three also very good, Szmodics fitted in nicely. His workrate is phenomenal. I did not run think we missed Travis tbh. I'd say the midfield three is here to stay so looks like it will be rotated between Morton, Travis, A Wharton, Szmodics, Buckley, Garrett

We played some good stuff last night, although the final ball was off. Our set pieces are the best they've been since Allerdyce. Our defending of the box has been brilliant.

Reckon we can start being quite optimistic. What's mad is we've played pretty much everyone in the squad, including a ridiculous number of young players (incidentally how refreshing is it that JDT just dunks totally green youth into a full 90 mins like Garrett ), only just finding a dependable system and formation, yet we are top! Still feel we have a couple more gears when everyone settles.

I don't think automatic promotion is on the cards - we've had an easier run of fixtures - but we have a fantastic shot at top six.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

• Backroom

I was hugely sceptical (angry, actually) about the wing backs being played on the 'wrong sides', but have to give credit to JDT.

It took me about 20mins, but I figured out that it perfectly nullified Mowbray's tendency to play inverted wingers. Show the inverted winger towards their byline and they can't cross it properly, but if they DO manage to cut in they still have our back 3 to deal with.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, garnersfags said:

I'm all for promotional pricing, but our matchday prices are already cheaper than most of the Championship prices, and many of the League One matchday entry prices. 

As I said, we have 1000+ going to the pub or paying for a Now TV or Sky Pass. 

What   A   Night ! ! ! 

A lot are doing imaginative ticket deals for odd games though and i know we do as well but at home to Sunderland on a Tues night in Oct was never going to be a crowd puller.

It's also school holidays so a little imagination beyond 1875 and getting an extra few quid out of away fans might have seen a few more in.