BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (h) 18/10/2022

46 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sunderland in the top 6 at the end of the season. Roberts is some player, hopefully Rovers will be in the top 6 with them.

Are they sacking Mowbray? If not they’ll not be in the top 6. Nowt in this league for “winning” possession but doing feck all with it

• Like 1

I’ve an affinity for Sunderland with some family roots there. Mowbray has landed on his feet at the club with some real talent and speed in the squad - I feel he will be found wanting and will suppress some of the talent in the short term like he did at times here with incessant tinkering. Sunderland fans are an unforgiving bunch and won’t put up with mediocrity 😅 as for Roberts if you ask their support he blows hot and cold hence why he is in the championship but with performances consistent like last night he has shown he has real quality - not many players with his quality in this league

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

Well that was a disappointing game from our perspective. Awful officiating gifted two goals to you instead of giving us a good chance to go 1 up. Missing a striker for half our games this season is killing us and Stewart still not due back until the new year. Mind, we’ll be some force when he’s back and IF he can stay fit! Comfortable mid table finish for us I think. Could have been so much more with a striker. 

I'm not sure you can say its was awful refereeing at all given that from one angle it's look like Hedges got the ball and from another doesn't like he did but Sky did slow it down to see. Also for Wharton's goal your defender pushing him offside. 

Can I ask why Sunderland didn't sign another striker in the summer and why haven't you look at free agent for the season? Also what is the latest on Ross Stewart's contract situation? 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Brilliant to see us at the top of the league at any point, even if it is because we have played more games than most. Was an excellent result from an average performance in which Sunderland dominated big chunks but lacked their injured strikers and we benefitted from massive refereeing mistakes which we will take every day of the week.

I wouldn't say last night performance at all but well managed and we played the game situation. 

I'm not convinced it was foul at all when you look at different angles. I think the ref got it right from his angle at proper speed. I'm against VAR in football. 

Brittain is not a left sider and Hedges is not a wing back and they contributed in making us a little disjointed simply by being out of position, as much as both are very competent players at this level. Hedges has loads going for him, superb skill to win the free kick and the ball in was excellent, and his shot at the end was so close to being goal of the season, but he was caught out a few times defensively because he is not a wing back. Brittain is a good player but he kept coming inside, the problem is that we don't have any adequate alternatives to him and Pickering really. 

Its was clever by JDT to play them on opposite side to match Roberts and Clarke. 

The Dack and Szmodics situations naturally overlap because of their position, Szmodics runs round all day and really grafts, once he did really well to force Even if we were a really intense pressing side which we aren't, just running off the ball and trying your best isn't enough to become a good player, Elliott Bennett ran all day but he was shit, on the ball is at least as important (probably moreso) and the jury is still out on Szmodics in that regard. He has had occasional quality in a Rovers shirt (his 2 goals were well taken and his assist v Rotherham was excellent) but often he struggles to get on the ball and when he does, his decisions can be wrong or his technical ability can let him down. Yesterday he once did well to get to the byline in the first half and nearly forced an own goal but he also hit a shot nowhere near the target and chose to wrongly cross to Brereton (who did remarkably well to avoid a goal kick concession) in the second half, improvement is needed there to start every game. So a mixed bag from him.

I stand by the fact that Dack would offer more than any other sub last night, assuming he doesn't start. The social media stuff with his wife is not ideal but it's a woman made "famous" by reality TV and trying to promote a new show getting attention, the people sucking up to/arguing with her on there really do puzzle me, why you would spend your time doing that I have no idea. 

Can Dack play in the current formation and style we are playing? 

I think his missus just want her guy to play and enjoy his football, But that's a side issue and nothing more. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Another thing from last night, why again have they started with goal music? Very tacky and counter productive to any atmosphere.

Maybe fans have asked for it by contacting the Rovers about it. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I ask why Sunderland didn't sign another striker in the summer and why haven't you look at free agent for the season? Also what is the latest on Ross Stewart's contract situation? 

You’d have to ask Speakman why we didn’t get a 3rd striker in the summer. We were all crying out for one. Suppose he thought Simms could cover if Stewart was out but typically they both get injured in close succession. Amad Diallo from Man U is apparently a striker but he isn’t playing there and looks a bit pap (cost Man U £37m with add ons from Atalanta - crazy)

There’s not much available in the free agent market and Simms was supposed to be due back before now. We have a promising youngster, Max Thompson, but Mowbray said the other week he’s too raw for first team action   In my view it has to be worth whacking him on the bench so we have the option. 

Stewart’s deal is up in the summer but the club have a 1 year extension they can invoke (which we will). He won’t be staying long if we don’t get up soon as he’s a quality all round player and knows where the net is. With him we’d be top 6 at present imo and is holding off signing a new deal for better terms

Edited by SAFCfaninpeace
Adding more

14 minutes ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

You’d have to ask Speakman why we didn’t get a 3rd striker in the summer. We were all crying out for one. Suppose he thought Simms could cover if Stewart was out but typically they both get injured in close succession. Amad Diallo from Man U is apparently a striker but he isn’t playing there and looks a bit pap (cost Man U £37m with add ons from Atalanta - crazy

There’s not much available in the free agent market and Simms was supposed to be due back before now. We have a promising youngster, Max Thompson, but Mowbray said the other week he’s too raw for first team action   In my view it has to be worth whacking him on the bench so we have the option. 

I didn't know he cost 37 mil. wow. 

I think Speakman made a mistake there not signing a 3rd striker. 

14 minutes ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

Stewart’s deal is up in the summer but the club have a 1 year extension they can invoke (which we will). He won’t be staying long if we don’t get up soon as he’s a quality all round player and knows where the net is. With him we’d be top 6 at present imo and is holding off signing a new deal for better terms

Rovers are looking at him I believe. 

Do you think Sunderland would be interest in Dack if he available?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't know he cost 37 mil. wow. 

I think Speakman made a mistake there not signing a 3rd striker. 

Rovers are looking at him I believe. 

Do you think Sunderland would be interest in Dack if he available?

Yup. You and every Sunderland fan wonder that. Hopefully rectified in January

No idea who Dack was until I just googled him. Has he been linked?

Doubt Stewart would move to you guys unless you were promoted so could offer PL football. 

We or rather he (Mowbray) didn't sign a striker or forward last season when in second place and missing BBD and Dack etc

Similar reasons given as in when they are all back someone won't have a place, goals will come from others in the team, it cost us a top 6 place iv'e no doubt.

The 'real' reason we didn't sign one ?   They don't play with strikers or centre forwards or target men.

Modern managers are bonkers at times.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

wow! No but Dack played under Mowbray for 5 years here and they have close working relationship when Mowbray was here. Dack might want to leave in January

9 minutes ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

Doubt Stewart would move to you guys unless you were promoted so could offer PL football. 

Is he PL class yet? not sure myself from what I have seen of him which I like and I think he would suit our team 

1 hour ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

Yup. You and every Sunderland fan wonder that. Hopefully rectified in January

Is the lad as good as Armstrong was at Rovers ? He tore up this division but he’s done next to nothing at Southampton. It’s a big step up and it gets bigger every season.

1 hour ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

We have a promising youngster, Max Thompson, but Mowbray said the other week he’s too raw for first team action   In my view it has to be worth whacking him on the bench so we have the option. 

A 20 year old striker? If he's good we'll take him, we now give youth a chance. Mowbray tends not to and thinks they are still kids at 23.

Mind you Thompson has played a game for Burnley so some of our fans wouldn't tolerate that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is the lad as good as Armstrong was at Rovers ? He tore up this division but he’s done next to nothing at Southampton. It’s a big step up and it gets bigger every season.

Is he bollocks. 

He's 26 and spent his career in poor Scottish teams and league 1, that tells you all you need to know.

They are comparing Stewart and BBD on their forums. I know fans often have club-biased specs on but most are saying they wouldnt swap a 26 year old Stewart for a 23 year old BBD. Admittedly, not seen much of their lad but i also havnt seen half the premier league, and top league French and Spanish clubs linked with him either. 

15 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Theory in football .... good luck comes back to bite you on the arse, all you have to do is wait.

We’ve had some poor refereeing decisions so far tbh 2-3 goals been disallowed for fouls where the refs blown too early and we’ve put the ball in the back of the net a fraction later. (Stoke and Cardiff) both would have been equalisers. 
it all evens itself out so I’d say we were due some good luck 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SAFCfaninpeace said:

Absolute textbook

• Like 1

• K-Hod unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Hopefully Tony found some space in the tanker to take them all with him.

Has anybody ever seen a huge old tanker weighed down with baggage gliding past a speedy compact punchy little sports car ?

You don't know what you've lost until its gone Tony lad !

• Like 1