BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

This result is an upset, but it's much less of a shock than the Saudi win. That was 3rd in the rankings losing to 51st, this was 11th losing to 24th. I've thought Japan are a decent technical side for years now, underrated, but it's still a bit of a surprise, and a pleasing one of course as it's Germany. With Spain in the group too, there's a chance of Germany not getting past the group stage now.

100%. The lazy comparisons are rife on TV comparing the 2, but the Japan side is packed full of players playing at the highest level. It is obviously a shock to see them beat Germany, but Japan are no mugs.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Feel sorry for all those who said they weren't bothering to watch the fixtures that didn't look appealing. Who'd have thought Argentina v Saudi Arabia and Germany v Japan would have been absolute stonkers? 😄

Learn your lessons. A fixture on paper never determines how good the game is going to be.

I've missed 2, both were 2 am ko here and I just fell asleep. Also saving myself for Brazil and the 2 England late ko.

The timing for all other games is ok for here.

Great to see the Germans lose but respect to them for the team photo 

Good to see that a well executed  hoofball can win a game at the WC, but it was fantastic control and finish.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

This result is an upset, but it's much less of a shock than the Saudi win. That was 3rd in the rankings losing to 51st, this was 11th losing to 24th. I've thought Japan are a decent technical side for years now, underrated, but it's still a bit of a surprise, and a pleasing one of course as it's Germany. With Spain in the group too, there's a chance of Germany not getting past the group stage now.

100 percent. They were a hair's whisker away from knocking out Belgium in 2018. You'd obviously back the Germans against them more often than not, but it nothing like the same as yesterday. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I've missed 2, both were 2 am ko here and I just fell asleep.

I've caught all of them so far in between flexi-work, of course. 😄

There have been some absolute stinkers of games so far, too. Morocco versus Croatia was scrappy. There were also a couple of goalless draws yesterday. And the second-half of the opening game was arduous.

Other than that, enjoying it. Almost making me forget the circumstances surrounding the whole tournament!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I've caught all of them so far in between flexi-work, of course. 😄

There have been some absolute stinkers of games so far, too. Morocco versus Croatia was scrappy. There were also a couple of goalless draws yesterday. And the second-half of the opening game was arduous.

Other than that, enjoying it. Almost making me forget the circumstances surrounding the whole tournament!

I'm mixing it up by watch Under the Cosh WC tour on YouTube.

British football idiots abroad have nowt on those 3.

Only just seen that the Germans put their hands over their mouths before the game in protest at being forbidden from wearing rainbow armbands. FIFA had threatened them with sanctions if they wore it!

Personally I think that's fucking outrageous. Isn't football as a whole supposed to be making strides in support in this area? And now the world's governing body threaten sanctions for a simple gesture of support.

The way FIFA have not only crookedly given Qatar a WC but subsequently kowtowed to every archaic wish of the Qataris is an absolute blight on the sport. I get that this is a sovereign country with its own laws and customs, but they're incredibly lucky to be hosting a World Cup in the first place. It should very much have been about adapting their laws and customs temporarily, in limited spaces, for the global guests they're welcoming. It should never have been about the World Cup making a long list of concessions for it to be held in a country no fucker wanted it held in anyway. On top of which, it's just a bloody symbol, and it's hardly a swastika. It's not like the Germans or other nations wearing rainbow armbands was going to set off an avalanche of bumming in Qatar.

If Qatar weren't willing to make legally-binding commitments for the competition to be held in the manner it is accustomed to, with guests enjoying freedoms they're accustomed to, then they should have been told in absolutely no uncertain terms that the World Cup would be held elsewhere.

Of course, that was never going to happen because too much money was on the table for corrupt scrotes at FIFA HQ.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Spain look handy, but then again they have the potential to be flat track bullies with their style of play. 

Their game against Germany looks like it should be a humdinger now. Even a draw might effectively knock the Germans out if Japan win well against Costa Rica. 

Japan just need to win against Costa Rica, won't make any difference how well they win will it? That will give Japan 6 and Germany wouldn't be capable of more than 4 then. It would be Spain they'd need to fail then, by losing to Japan. Then Germany would duke it out with Spain on 4 each, and I assume it goes off GD? So they'd need to beat CR by more than Spain do (assuming Spain lost by no more than 1 to Japan).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DE. said:

The worst thing is seeing the useful idiots parrot the "you have to respect their culture" mantra. No, I don't and won't respect a culture warped by misogyny and homophobia, thanks. Don't get me wrong, all countries have problems to varying degrees, but at least most are giving the impression of trying to improve rather than reveling in ignorance and bigotry. 

I can respect cultural differences. But not when that difference is an intolerance, criminalisation and hatred of those with differences.

It would be hypocritical for me to respect the differences of those who don't respect differences. You're disrespecting somebody either way, and I'd rather disrespect the ones doing the hating.

• Moderation Lead

In my work sweepstake, I got South Korea and as I knew there was still some gold in that hat, I went back in for a second do.

The second do yielded Canada and I remember cursing my luck.

However, I’m cursing nowt now, they look really good! They just lack a bit of a cutting edge up top…