BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Just stating a fact. Foden is our best player and should be the first name on the teamsheet.

I agree he is our best player on individual merit, but in place of Bellingham?

Bellingham has been our stand out central midfielder, box to box, plays an entirely different role to Foden

But putting that aside, Bellingham's been one of our best players at this tournament, so the idea of dropping him to squeeze Foden into a position he doesn't suit much seems an odd one

This is a team game

Edited by Dreams of 1995

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I agree he is our best player on individual merit, but in place of Bellingham?

Bellingham has been our stand out central midfielder, box to box, plays an entirely different role to Foden

But putting that aside, Bellingham's been one of our best players at this tournament, so the idea of dropping him to squeeze Foden into a position he doesn't suit much seems an odd one

This is a team game

Bellingham wants to play as a #10 and that's where he's done all of his damage. He's barely played as a CM this tournament.

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Bellingham wants to play as a #10 and that's where he's done all of his damage. He's barely played as a CM this tournament.

He's found himself all over the pitch, in particular against Iran where he was mopping up as much as he was setting attacks

When you play the 4-3-3 we have been playing he's been the more attacking of Henderson / Rice but he's still been a central midfielder

Foden always tends to play wide for City. Do we sit with a run of the mill #10 in this England team?

In any case, there's no way you drop Bellingham in this tournament so far, certainly not for a player who seems more at home coming from the outside in, like Foden does week in week out for Man City

See Bellingham's burst for Harry Kane's goal - made a tackle on the d of his own box, drove past a few players and passed it into an advanced Foden. Their games are different, and you don't drop Bellingham for Foden imo

I don't think Foden would offer as much in Bellingham's role, certainly not in the defensive side of the game. You want Foden up the other end of the pitch ready to counter and attack. The two are different players

Edited by Dreams of 1995

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He's found himself all over the pitch, in particular against Iran where he was mopping up as much as he was setting attacks

When you play the 4-3-3 we have been playing he's been the more attacking of Henderson / Rice but he's still been a central midfielder

Foden always tends to play wide for City. Do we sit with a run of the mill #10 in this England team?

In any case, there's no way you drop Bellingham in this tournament so far, certainly not for a player who seems more at home coming from the outside in, like Foden does week in week out for Man City

See Bellingham's burst for Harry Kane's goal - made a tackle on the d of his own box, drove past a few players and passed it into an advanced Foden. Their games are different, and you don't drop Bellingham for Foden imo

I don't think Foden would offer as much in Bellingham's role, certainly not in the defensive side of the game. You want Foden up the other end of the pitch ready to counter and attack. The two are different players

When Bellingham is on song it’s like having an extra player out there. He reminds me of Roy Keane in that respect, without the temper of course.

To use modern terminology Bellingham is an 8. Old-school terminology a box to box midfielder. I've a little more faith in Southgate now he's switched to a midfield 3. We can suddenly compete and control games a little more and it releases Bellingham from being shackled as a DM, to be that box to box player which links our defence and attack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are fishing with this comment

How? It wasn't a slight on Bellingham who is a great talent and should start too, I just think that Foden is fantastic, I love watching him play more than any other England player and he is so effective hence why Guardiola always picks him.

I think that the balance of the team v Senegal was good and we should just go for the same again.

• Like 1

Same team for me I think. Hopefully we don't switch to a back 3 with 2 holding midfielders. 

I think we have the better squad and starting 11 but France have the odd player that do more damage and have done more damage on this stage. Overall I'd say there is very little in it, and it has the potential to be a cracker. For some reason it feels bigger than any of the Russian WC matches, including the Croatia semi-final, it just feels massive. 

I'm predicting similar to the Germany match at the Euros, a little nervy, a big atmosphere and build up, playing against a big name and England to win 2-0.

Cracking day tomorrow, bit of England test in the morning, Rovers back in action midday then nice build up to 7pm for England.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

Same team as last game for me, perhaps Rashford for Saka as hes more of a goal threat. I think if we go 3 at the back we will loose a midfielder which has been key for our good performances. It would be a mistake to loose the midfield battle and hand France large amounts of possession just because were worried about Mbappe. 

Southgate should have faith in our ability and stick to what has worked. 

Both sides weakness is defence so I can see a decent scoring game. 3-2. No idea which way. 

On 07/12/2022 at 20:22, roverandout said:

I'd start rashford against France.  Rashford up against kounde and he tore upemacano apart in the  champions league 

I would start with Rashford over Saka. Apart from that I would stick with the same side and formation. We need to solid at the back but attack them aswell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I actually think Sterling is one of the best players in this squad

He may not be the best at club level, but for England his performances over the past 3 years have been sensational

He works off Kane and is always in the right place at the right time - he may not start, but I think we will at least see him

The only certainty for me is that Grealish or Maddison won't start; Grealish because Southgate sees him as a 'closer' and Maddison because he's not fit. I don't think anything else is off the table to be honest.

I personally think he may go with Saka and Rashford

I wasn't dissing Sterling. I too think that he does well for England. My point was that I don't think even Southgate would start him tomorrow after missing training all week. 

• Like 1

The pundits tend to fawn over all of the big names and/or the big countries, whether that is Messi, Ronaldo, Modric, Mbappe, Neymar/Brazil etc, and of course very much included, England.

I think the general punditry levels have been pretty shocking to be honest, I get appealing to the mainstream but everything is focused around basically one player for every team, in between regular interviews with Southgate regardless of the match. You would like to expect a bit more in depth analysis on other members of the team, especially those that aren't based in the Premier League.

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You would like to expect a bit more in depth analysis on other members of the team, especially those that aren't based in the Premier League.

That would involve them a) having some in depth Worldwide knowledge to begin with or b ) doing some actual research in-between matches, instead of sightseeing and jollies.

Neither of which seems to be a thing. 

We probably expect too much for hundreds of thousands they get paid for a month's work. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Silas said:

That would involve them a) having some in depth Worldwide knowledge to begin with or b ) doing some actual research in-between matches, instead of sightseeing and jollies.

Neither of which seems to be a thing. 

We probably expect too much for hundreds of thousands they get paid for a month's work. 

It's also what the majority are interested in Silas

I bet if you watched Portugese or Brazilian or German TV you'd see regular interviews with their managers and focus around main international stars or their own teams

Like it or not, the vast majority don't want to see in depth analysis of the Canadian left winger before he returns to second tier football somewhere

This is a European Brazil, a Champions League Brazil, because most of the players play their football there, still excellent quality but, aside from one or two flashes, lacking the individual brilliance of the past. 

The 1970 Brazil was the best international team in my lifeftime

• Like 3