BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If we went up it wouldn't be worse.

But either way, we can't afford the risk of replacing, you can't replace someone of BBD's quality immediately with £4-5m IMO.

You'd get the lad at Posh for that...in my opinion could be just as good as BBD.  Jonson Clarke Harris and the lad at Plymouth Hardie...get em both

Edited by Sparks Rover

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If we went up it wouldn't be worse.

But either way, we can't afford the risk of replacing, you can't replace someone of BBD's quality immediately with £4-5m IMO.

But the money we get would go a long way to replacing him which we will have to do for nothing in July. Letting him walk for nothing in six months just doesn't make any sense when he has some value now.

• Like 6

If we could get say £6m for Diaz, with the promise of being able to reinvest the money right away, i'd take it with no hesitation. Mindful that BBD has fallen off a bit lately, and we'd lose him for free in a few months anyway.

If that did happen, a successful window for me would be along the lines of;

Siriki Dembele - Loan
Reda Khadra - Loan
Jo Inge Berget - Free
Jan Paul van Hecke - 1.5m
Ben Pearson - 2m

Very unlikely of course... but I think we'd be in a much better position with additions like that, than if we kept the currently out of form BBD. Khadra might be questionable to some, but I think he'd thrive under JDT with the current system.

Realistically, wages would probably be the biggest issue regarding the above.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You'd get the lad at Posh for that...in my opinion could be just as good as BBD.  Jonson Clarke Harris and the lad at Plymouth Hardie...get em both

JCH is ageing and Hardie is a Jordan Rhodes type. There's no value in selling BBD because A) We won't reinvest the money B] Even if we could, we aren't going to get someone as good as him C) We could still reach the play offs this season, but without him it's extremely unlikely.

We're a right bunch of mugs really when you think about it. Every transfer window we get all excited, throw names around like confetti, big build-up, hang on to every minute of the last day and then reality dawns and we post about how disappointed we are, who we should have got and who got them instead etc etc.

Then the next window comes round and  we start all over again as if the last one never happened!

Like goldfish in a bowl we are and , like them, doomed to relive it!

When was the last good transfer window? I honestly can't remember it.

Pre-Venkys probably!

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

JCH is ageing and Hardie is a Jordan Rhodes type. There's no value in selling BBD because A) We won't reinvest the money B] Even if we could, we aren't going to get someone as good as him C) We could still reach the play offs this season, but without him it's extremely unlikely.

Obviously BBD is quality and could play at a higher level than the Championship. However, he isn't scoring and besides his admittedly very good defensive work, if he isn't scoring he doesn't offer a lot. If we could replace him with a central striker who can score goals and someone to play in BBD's position on the left who can create then I don't think we'd lose a lot. Obviously easy on paper, but hard to do in January. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I agree but there are replacements if he goes was what I was saying.  JCH is quality mate, if you think 28 is aged then you've a problem.  Hardie gets goals and assists and would be perfect for us, nothing like Rhodes

Poor response Joe, with you being a scout supposedly....both very good players

Edited by Sparks Rover

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Why make it personal? 

For someone who spends a lot of time telling everyone about his work in football to just lazily dismiss players with rubbish reasons when he's clearly not watched them, soz mate. Not for me. Unless you think 28 is past it....🤷‍♂️

Not personal at all, professional 

Edited by Sparks Rover

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

For someone who spends a lot of time telling everyone about his work in football to just lazily dismiss players with rubbish reasons when he's clearly not watched them, soz mate. Not for me. Unless you think 28 is past it....🤷‍♂️

Even worse if you're trying to undermine his professional ability. Very poor that, I'm sure the lad is just posting his own personal opinion. No need to bring his job into it. Petty and spiteful. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Didn't JoeH say the player was ageing. Not past it ?

22 minutes ago, 47er said:

We're a right bunch of mugs really when you think about it. Every transfer window we get all excited, throw names around like confetti, big build-up, hang on to every minute of the last day and then reality dawns and we post about how disappointed we are, who we should have got and who got them instead etc etc.

Then the next window comes round and  we start all over again as if the last one never happened!

Like goldfish in a bowl we are and , like them, doomed to relive it!

When was the last good transfer window? I honestly can't remember it.

Pre-Venkys probably!

I try to stay as positive as possible but I totally agree. I feel we’re in for yet ANOTHER disappointment of a window. Although I don’t expect too much from January, you look around on social media and see clubs being linked with players etc, almost as if they’re prepared. Something you’ll never see with us whilst Venkeys are at the helm…So draining.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think C is the clincher. Were we looking nailed on to finish midtable, there's still a decent case to sell even if most of the money just goes towards the balance sheet. As it is, we're probably about 8 wins or so (with a few draws thrown in) away from securing a play off spot, and you just can't see us getting that without Brereton. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I try to stay as positive as possible but I totally agree. I feel we’re in for yet ANOTHER disappointment of a window. Although I don’t expect too much from January, you look around on social media and see clubs being linked with players etc, almost as if they’re prepared. Something you’ll never see with us whilst Venkeys are at the helm…So draining.

The trick is, don't get disappointed when something you expect, happens.

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I agree but there are replacements if he goes was what I was saying.  JCH is quality mate, if you think 28 is aged then you've a problem.  Hardie gets goals and assists and would be perfect for us, nothing like Rhodes

Must admit that my view of JCH was pretty heavily influenced by his record at the start of last season. There was a decent spell where he couldn't hit a barn door, so ending up with double figures in a relegated team is not a bad return at all, and surprised me a bit. 

I still wouldn't advocate him as a BBD replacement though. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think 28 would be a problem for Rovers.

He’d have no resale value at all, and despite the fact we are terrible at moving players on at the right time anyway, I expect that would prevent us from investing in a player with one decent contract left in them. This is in no way an endorsement of our supposed transfer model/strategy by the way.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s not smart enough to go any higher.

Totally agree re Khadra …pace and step overs …..not the effort of Dolan or the brain of Hedges…..we’re far better off without him……but I would love to see us put in some kind of offer for Pearson at Bournemouth. He figures as regularly as Rothwell ..and we all  about that ! ,