BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We have a Manager and DOF who, seemingly to me, think promotion is beyond us for at least 2 or 3 years.  For fecks sake, we need football folk with a CAN DO attitude who live and breathe positivity, breed belief, fire ambition and give supporters REAL HOPE.

I disagree - we need football folk with a can do ABILITY. Just being positive doesn't magic things into reality like some seem to believe. You need confidence and ambition, yes, but you also need to be able to see the flaws and compensate for them. Plenty of managers around who can throw out passionate bluster, far less who can deliver on it.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No, I'd just believe it about as much as I did when we were gonna sign Beckham.

And to flip it around a bit, I sometimes think that if they came out and said they could turn their piss into wine, 'you guys' would line up in front of their phalluses.

The key here is that I can admit that they’re very shit at lots of stuff…I’ll await you opening up on some positivity about what’s happening at the club and then we’ll talk about who is biased and who is not…👍🏼

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

I disagree - we need football folk with a can do ABILITY. Just being positive doesn't magic things into reality like some seem to believe. You need confidence and ambition, yes, but you also need to be able to see the flaws and compensate for them. Plenty of managers around who can throw out passionate bluster, far less who can deliver on it.

Avram Grant and Jurgen Klopp both had/have ability.  Which one of the two fires you!?

20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ohhh jeez - They offered him a contract and he didn’t sign it. He wasn’t worth a wank until last Christmas and even then no one wanted to stump up the cash for him!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if Venkys had known we were going to implode last Christmas then selling BBD and Rothwell for £15m combined would’ve been a solid call. Truth be known, they woulda been lynched for it back then.

It’s very very unfortunate how this has turned out. But as early as Sep 2021 most of wouldn’t have given a shit if Brereton had gone on loan and never come back…that’s 18 months ago and we’d have been perplexed had he been offered a new contract.

It is what it is. The club don’t have a crystal ball and can’t even pay the wages of the likes of Boro and Bournemouth - we must move on.

Honestly you must have very little idea around how to run a football club

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If all had your attitude then we would be doomed to a life of Championship mediocrity at best!!!

I look at clubs like Blackpool, Brentford, Huddersfield, Hull, Sheffield United etc all promoted over recent years - if they could do it then why the feck can't we!?

We have a Manager and DOF who, seemingly to me, think promotion is beyond us for at least 2 or 3 years.  For fecks sake, we need football folk with a CAN DO attitude who live and breathe positivity, breed belief, fire ambition and give supporters REAL HOPE.

No point in worrying about what happens if and when we get there, the feckin priority has to be to get there in the shortest possible time and then take it from there.

I see. No concrete plan. 

Got it.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ohhh jeez - They offered him a contract and he didn’t sign it. He wasn’t worth a wank until last Christmas and even then no one wanted to stump up the cash for him!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if Venkys had known we were going to implode last Christmas then selling BBD and Rothwell for £15m combined would’ve been a solid call. Truth be known, they woulda been lynched for it back then.

It’s very very unfortunate how this has turned out. But as early as Sep 2021 most of wouldn’t have given a shit if Brereton had gone on loan and never come back…that’s 18 months ago and we’d have been perplexed had he been offered a new contract.

It is what it is. The club don’t have a crystal ball and can’t even pay the wages of the likes of Boro and Bournemouth - we must move on.

Quite the opposite. I'd argue that it was very, very fortunate how it turned out. Brereton changed from an absolute donkey with no value, into a 15m player in a matter of months.

The dimwits in charge didn't recognise and capitalise on this, hence we are where we are.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Quite the opposite. I'd argue that it was very, very fortunate how it turned out. Brereton changed from an absolute donkey with no value, into a 15m player in a matter of months.

The dimwits in charge didn't recognise and capitalise on this, hence we are where we are.

Well, it was those ‘dimwits’ who saw something in him in the first place when most of the ‘experts’ on here wouldn’t have paid him in washers.

What really is annoying is why they haven’t just grappled him to the floor, wedged a pen in his had and physically forced him to sign the contract. They’re so shit!! 

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Well, it was those ‘dimwits’ who saw something in him in the first place when most of the ‘experts’ on here wouldn’t have paid him in washers.

What really is annoying is why they haven’t just grappled him to the floor, wedged a pen in his had and physically forced him to sign the contract. They’re so shit!! 

Absolute tosh. Brereton has had nothing but support from the fanbase right throughout. If you go to Ewood, you'd know this.

It's funny how most other clubs find a way to trade players and realise some value back. Not us though, for some reason.

You just keep on believing what they tell you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Absolute tosh. Brereton has had nothing but support from the fanbase right throughout. If you go to Ewood, you'd know this.

It's funny how most other clubs find a way to trade players and realise some value back. Not us though, for some reason.

Other clubs don't have owners who either place unrealistic valuations on players or simply refuse to sell certain players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

What who tells me?

I’ve been a season ticket holder for years and a member of this board for a while now too and im as sure as I can be that most on here would’ve gladly waived Ben off on loan at the start of the 21/22 season. We’d probably have been right too, he’d been hopeless most of the time until then. They’d offered him a new contract BEFORE Christmas!

Had they offered him it before that season started, I’m sure he’d have been delighted to sign and most of the fanbase left wondering why?

It’s simple supply and demand. On a they know they can get more, you’re knackered.

Planning 2yrs in front is the only way to mitigate risk, but even that wouldn’t have worked with Ben, such was his rise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You are being purposely obtuse by focusing on the premise of "forcing" him to sign a new deal when we could have sold him to make a profit and avoid losing him on a free.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

The key here is that I can admit that they’re very shit at lots of stuff…I’ll await you opening up on some positivity about what’s happening at the club and then we’ll talk about who is biased and who is not…👍🏼

Either you don't really read my posts in general on here, or you have me confused with someone else. Not your first time either.

I've never ever been in either the 'doom and gloom brigade' nor the 'happy clappers brigade'. I call everything as I see it on a case by case basis. Assuming that someone who criticises or praises the club is in one of those camps might be something that works fairly often, but there are also plenty on here who are willing to do both. In this very thread I can be found making counter points to things said by people I'm sure you'd mark as 'doom and gloomers', including in the post above the one of yours I'm quoting.

Positivity, right. Mowbray is gone, thank fuck for that. We have a manager who is far more engaging, and the league position he has us in is something Mowbray only achieved even briefly in this division once (I also think we will slide further down the table yet in much the same way, as much writing is on the wall, but I'm not allowed to bring in balance right?). We have at least attempted to bring in somebody to deal with the contracts and player dealing that Swag proved inept at, and although I'm not sure his profile was quite right for the job, he's also not just some chancer, his past achievements hold a bit of promise, and I'm happy to give him more time. We have a vibrant young core to the team, a stellar academy for our level, and I think with just a few key additions we could become a real force in this league in the next season or two.

• Like 3

On 19/01/2023 at 12:22, RoverKyle said:

They also weren't the immediate back up to the starter at those clubs. Completely understand the whole point around perceived sub par keepers getting contracts in the Prem due to the home grown quota. Merely pointing out that Steele is probably a bit better than he's made out to be on here, given that he's trusted to be the immediate back up at Brighton. I don't think Pears will ever find himself in that position.

Be careful what you predict, many on here were lamenting Raya as being unlikely to do much in his career - too small / rash / error-prone / lightweight etc, but he's turned out alright.

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

What who tells me?

I’ve been a season ticket holder for years and a member of this board for a while now too and im as sure as I can be that most on here would’ve gladly waived Ben off on loan at the start of the 21/22 season. We’d probably have been right too, he’d been hopeless most of the time until then. They’d offered him a new contract BEFORE Christmas!

Start of the 21/22 season? See other comments but that's a complete load of rubbish. Before the start of 20/21 maybe yeah. But 21/22? No way, I think if we were to look back through this board from the start of that season you'll likely see a lot of comments about hoping Brereton could step up after the loss of Armstrongs goals.

On 19/01/2023 at 17:59, Mercer said:

You are going on the transfer list.  We will invite offers.  Should one be acceptable (and anything over £8million should have been) you either accept the move or rot in the 'ressies' until your contract is up.  What do you think Brereton would have done?

If Broughton hasn't got the expertise and gravitas to deal with our owners then he shouldn't be in the feckin job.  He needed to sh1t or get off the pot.

I think you should change your name to "No Merc-y", 'cos that's what you show to anyone at Ewood who fails to smell of roses (or should that be rosé?)! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No crystal ball needed, you get your assets re-signed up early, especially the ones that cost you multi millions of pounds.

We were ‘perplexed’ by SG signing a new deal last season, ‘he wasn’t worth a wank’ and we wouldn’t have ‘given a shit’ if he’d have gone on loan and not come back instead.

But the club rightly didn’t give a feck what us nobodies on brfcs thought and signed him up anyway, and quite right too. The fact they didn’t with BBD has come back to haunt us big time, and harsh lessons have been learnt (well let’s hope they have).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Really thought we would of have at least the GK in today 

Really need that undav deal to go through next week..we desperately need a striker who knows where the net is ..relying on Vale, Gallagher etc against Bristol City is only going to end one way

Maybe they're waiting to announce Haikin until they've got at least one more signed.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

im as sure as I can be that most on here would’ve gladly waived Ben off on loan at the start of the 21/22 season.

What after a much improved 20/21, playing a few games for Chile and scoring at the Copa America in summer 21, and right after losing Armstrong and Harvey Elliott? Absolutely no chance!! 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Maybe they're waiting to announce Haikin until they've got at least one more signed.

I'm not 100%, but I think there was a photoshoot at Ewood today, around lunch time / early afternoon.

Couldn't tell you who it was, had assumed the GK.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Really thought we would of have at least the GK in today 

Really need that undav deal to go through next week..we desperately need a striker who knows where the net is ..relying on Vale, Gallagher etc against Bristol City is only going to end one way

On the plus side, it really doesn't matter a jot if the keeper was signed today or Monday. He won't be playing, and I don't think we even train the day before or the day after matches do we? Or if we do it's light training. Players are often able to meet their teammates and start settling in before signings are completed anyway.