BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

Porteous like any person will be massively influenced by the financial side and there is also a pathway either to play Premier League football you would imagine sooner at Watford or even Serie A football with Udinese like a few of his compatriots.

Where this leaves us I am unsure. An attacker on loan and a sub keeper wouldnt be sufficient, thats for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

That misses the point that Waggott will be working to parameters set for him by those to whom he reports - which will be the owners. Just saying Waggott Out is pointless - he would be replaced by somebody whose remit would be exactly the same.

But they might execute it significantly better..? 🤔

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Porteous like any person will be massively influenced by the financial side and there is also a pathway either to play Premier League football you would imagine sooner at Watford or even Serie A football with Udinese like a few of his compatriots.

Where this leaves us I am unsure. An attacker on loan and a sub keeper wouldnt be sufficient, thats for sure.

Porteous should be focusing on how much he will be playing for his next club and what he can achieve there not just about the money

1 hour ago, rigger said:

What does amortised mean ?

Depreciation. [Crudely] Any business with fixed assets divides the total cost over the anticipated useful life & charges that amount to each year’s profit & loss so that it gives a more accurate reflection of true profitability. 
e.g. a machine costing £5k & expected to last 5 years would depreciate at £1k p.a. 
Other more sophisticated accounting explanations are available but that’s the basic idea.

For football it massively impacts on FFP calculations. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Porteous should be focusing on how much he will be playing for his next club and what he can achieve there not just about the money

Says who? Who are you to tell people with families to turn down potentially thousands of pounds a week?

As I said, there is also the fact that there is probably a better chance of Premier League football at Watford and/or a chance to play in Serie A. The ambition of playing at the highest level rather than going somewhere to try solely to ensure more game time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Says who? Who are you to tell people with families to turn down potentially thousands of pounds a week?

As I said, there is also the fact that there is probably a better chance of Premier League football at Watford and/or a chance to play in Serie A. The ambition of playing at the highest level rather than going somewhere to try solely to ensure more game time.

Its my opinion. Just imaging going to Watford and sitting on bench for games after games but its great cos I earning loads of money but I miss playing regular first team football like I was doing before I joined here. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

One of life's optimists I see. After all this time do you really see them attracting someone of the calibre of John Williams ?

There are multiple headhunting/recruitment companies out there who would take on the brief…& I’m not used to being referenced as an optimist so thank you for that 😆

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its my opinion. Just imaging going to Watford and sitting on bench for games after games but its great cos I earning loads of money but I miss playing regular first team football like I was doing before I joined here. 

Most players back themselves to break into the team where they are going to. Even if they don’t, I think I’d be happy being paid a million pounds a year to sit in the bench rather than playing regularly for 300k when I’ve no emotional attachment to either team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

One of life's optimists I see. After all this time do you really see them attracting someone of the calibre of John Williams ?

Maybe not John Williams level, but I think it’s fair to say many of us were pleasantly surprised to see them bring in a DOF and manager who appear competent and somewhat sought after. A CEO with a similar level of pedigree to JDT and Broughton shouldn’t be beyond us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

There are multiple headhunting/recruitment companies out there who would take on the brief…& I’m not used to being referenced as an optimist so thank you for that 😆

If the reports are true any item of expenditure of £5000 or more has to be signed off in India. What sort of "CEO" is going to take a job where their actual level of responsibility is no more than what might be expected from middle management ? John Williams left within a few months of working for these owners and since then they have had a variety of individuals who would be flattered by being described as mediocre. The job is rubbish for any talented CEO because of the way the owners want it run.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Firstly, John Williams 'grew' into the role.  Initially, I think he made some very questionable decisions/judgements.

Waggott is on about £300k pa and I can tell you there would be some queue to take on Waggott's job - there are plenty of sharp and hungry individuals out there who would jump at the chance.  I personally know of at least half a dozen individuals with the drive, desire, nous and creativity who would take it on for that sort of money and, IMO, would be a huge, huge improvement on Waggott. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A CB isn't going to make it sufficient though. Short-term, which I suspect is where you're focused, we don't really have a pressing need for a CB once Hyam is back in what, 2-3 weeks? An attacker on loan, a sub keeper, and a CB doesn't sound sufficient to me and doesn't solve the main problems.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

A CB isn't going to make it sufficient though. Short-term, which I suspect is where you're focused, we don't really have a pressing need for a CB once Hyam is back in what, 2-3 weeks? An attacker on loan, a sub keeper, and a CB doesn't sound sufficient to me and doesn't solve the main problems.

Agreed. The main 2 priorities were an out and out striker and an experienced midfielder.

• Like 9