BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

Smozdic I don't mind he is a good character for the squad and tries hard the fee I haven't got a problem as i imagine it isn't 2m straight up but with bonuses etc...Within the rotational basis of the squad I think he is fine for it. I would say once we find the balance in our midfield and he gets use to that system then we will be fine. 

1 hour ago, ItsRoverZ said:

A winger? One that has spent his career in the conference leagues bar Huddersfield where he hasn't set the world on fire either ... at 24 years old ..very big gamble on him, we have markandy, dolan, Hedges who can play wide 

Yeah agreed..... not at all a priority position for us even if he's decent. So strange if we sign him.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Szmodics is a good squad player

In any promotion team you need players like that - ones you can trust to do a job

He's got a couple of goals for us, won us points along the way, and comes on and closes out games very well

With Dack back I am more than happy to see Szmodics as a replacement for that position / the CM role

People moan at the money for him, and I do agree a better central midfielder is needed more, but that added depth will come at a costs

At 27 we have a good 3 years out of him for ~£2m and he seems like a damn good lad and a good player at this level. I think he's a good signing, if not exactly what we need to bring us to that next level, but not every signing will be

We are building on a team that was ravaged by mismanagement of the footballing side of things for years. Szmodics is a piece of a jigsaw, like any squad

I was dead against him when he joined as I couldn't really see the need, but he's grown on me. Like Dack he knows how to find space in the box - just him and Brad have that ability. Also works very hard.  Decent technically too.

I wonder if when he's fit if we will play him and Dack together up front? Would seem a bit odd as they are similar players and neither of them strikers, but can see it happening as Vale is struggling and Gallagher unfit/unfavoured.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nixon saying Rovers in Sobra Thomas from Huddersfield 

So odd... in the "wide forward" role we have BBD, Dolan, Hedges, Markanday all fighting for two spots. Plus Szmodics and Gallagher fill in there. 

I guess it's a case of him being good and available so we've gone for him even though it's not an immediate need.

17 minutes ago, J*B said:

Haha - I mean I said BBD to Villareal was done before most media and now i'm calling 2 new signings before Saturdays game.

I'll likely be wrong because its still early and hard to predict the future but I'll gamble on the below before Saturday:

1) We'll sign one player that hasn't been mentioned in the press as a target yet (all I've got - been told I 'can't have a name but the name hasn't been put in the press yet')

2) We'll sign one of Gerdalt / Undav on loan aligned to Vilarreal announcing BBD on a pre-contract to try and soften the blow

Hope that you are right and 1) is a strong midfielder. 

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

So odd... in the "wide forward" role we have BBD, Dolan, Hedges, Markanday all fighting for two spots. Plus Szmodics and Gallagher fill in there. 

I guess it's a case of him being good and available so we've gone for him even though it's not an immediate need.

Maybe it’s come from our new head of recruitment being a Welshman also? 

1 minute ago, Butty said:

Sorba Thomas was class last season in the Huddersfield team that finished in the top six, not quite at the same level so far this season but for me he’d still be a good signing. Get him in I say. 

One thing he would bring that we are sadly lacking - pace

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Nixon saying it will be a permanent deal 

Sorba Thomas has a MV of £5m on Transfermarkt, and is contracted to Huddersfield until 2026.

How much money are they going to want there then?!

Would probably have to be a loan - which would be pretty poor from us IMO.

10 minutes ago, Butty said:

Sorba Thomas was class last season in the Huddersfield team that finished in the top six, not quite at the same level so far this season but for me he’d still be a good signing. Get him in I say. 

Still has 6 assists this season which isn't a bad return for someone off form.

I'd be happy if this deal happens 

• Like 1

I think people are getting too hung up on which position we should be prioritising. We spent all summer buying squad players who haven't really worked out. If we can get a player in who walks into our starting 11 and improves us. And the right deal can be done we should do it. Especially when we are somehow still in the top six despite a huge slump. A few new faces might add a bit of impetuous we go on a run and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE beat the dingles.

9 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Sorba Thomas has a MV of £5m on Transfermarkt, and is contracted to Huddersfield until 2026.

How much money are they going to want there then?!

Would probably have to be a loan - which would be pretty poor from us IMO.

Out of favour at Huddersfield and in all fairness transfermarkt valuations don't matter a jot... nobody would be paying £5 million for him 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Are Huddersfield in financial trouble? He's listed as worth £5m on Transfermarkt (yes I know that's not set it in stone).

I wonder if he's a direct replacement for Brereton-Diaz and Villareal have stumped up some money for an early transfer, like we did with Hedges?