BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (a) - 13/11/2022

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

No one "buys" the league though it's virtually impossible to win the league without money. The barbs thrown at Rovers were mainly lazy journalists who didn't like having to write about what they perceived as a "small" club, and it stuck. It was nonsense then and it's nonsense now and we were never given the credit we deserved. 

We never will be but fuck em.

Premier League trophies won by Blackburn Rovers - 1

Premier League trophies won by Tottenham Hotspur, Everton, Aston Villa, Newcastle United, West Ham United and a plethora of other so-called 'big clubs' - 0

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was at the Dingle dome as a lad but they sent him back home because they thought he wouldn’t be big enough.

I'm told they had a lot of talent from the North East sent their way back in the day, kind of a first stop for lads from up there.

Maybe Jack Hickson was it ?  The famous talent spotter sending them to the Turd.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I'm told they had a lot of talent from the North East sent their way back in the day, kind of a first stop for lads from up there.

Maybe Jack Hickson was it ?  The famous talent spotter sending them to the Turd.

Jack Hixon IIRC. He also sent a certain Alan Shearer to Southampton

Ralph Coates, Dave Thomas, Ray Hankin and many, many more. All top players. 

What were Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough doing missing players like that? 

Bolton turned down Alan Ball for being too small too. Rovers rejected Tony Green and Tommy Hutchison, two top Scots 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I think it was Hickson or Hixson. In the 1960’s when the dingles reserve team played away at Newcastle in the old Central League the team coach went up full and came back almost empty. The players all stayed at home for the weekend after the game.

Why the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro were allowing local lads to leave the area in such numbers is a bit of a mystery.

• Like 1

A pal of mine had a few games for the reserves over there back in the day before he moved to Bury. He told me the story about the coach coming back almost empty. He said it was amazing how many Geordies were at the time. If I recall correctly from that  era

Angus, O’Neil, Talbut, Adamson, Harris, Jimmy Robson, Pointer, Bellamy, were all Geordies.

Keith Newton was at Bolton and was let go.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A pal of mine had a few games for the reserves over there back in the day before he moved to Bury. He told me the story about the coach coming back almost empty. He said it was amazing how many Geordies were at the time. If I recall correctly from that  era

Angus, O’Neil, Talbut, Adamson, Harris, Jimmy Robson, Pointer, Bellamy, were all Geordies.

Need to be careful here, some were Geordies, some were Makems etc. They would be just as upset at being called the other as you would being called a Burnley fan. Stan Ternent was also from the North East.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

While I kind of agree with your sentiment, they still spent a shit load of money, by anybody's standards. Proportionately a lot more than Jack Walker did, and yet we got the 'bought the league' accusations (and still do).

Tbh I've never looked at the money spent on that squad. Probably should have done more research but on face value, no one expected that squad to be challenging for the title. Much less Champions League. I think the 'bought the league' label is just a metaphor these days for just saying they won the league after spending a lot on money. Not to be taken literally.

15 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

No one "buys" the league though it's virtually impossible to win the league without money. The barbs thrown at Rovers were mainly lazy journalists who didn't like having to write about what they perceived as a "small" club, and it stuck. It was nonsense then and it's nonsense now and we were never given the credit we deserved. 

The 'bought the league label' is just a metaphor these days. Not to be taken literally.

On 22/11/2022 at 09:46, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Jack Hixon ( 1921 -2009 ) worked as Burnley's scout in the North East for many years, before cost cutting led to him moving on, eventually to Southampton. Apart from the others mentioned, he also recommended Stan Ternent to Burnley. His final connection to Burnley was Steve Davis, who went to Southampton initially but played for Burnley over 3 spells between 1989 & 2003 making 327 appearances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Jack Hixon ( 1921 -2009 ) worked as Burnley's scout in the North East for many years, before cost cutting led to him moving on, eventually to Southampton. Apart from the others mentioned, he also recommended Stan Ternent to Burnley. His final connection to Burnley was Steve Davis, who went to Southampton initially but played for Burnley over 3 spells between 1989 & 2003 making 327 appearances.

Another one from the North East who played for both clubs was Johnny Price. I really liked him, a little old fashioned winger. Before he came to Rovers he played for Stockport County. They were crap then but I never saw Johnny have a bad game for them.

On 24/11/2022 at 15:35, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Another one from the North East who played for both clubs was Johnny Price. I really liked him, a little old fashioned winger. Before he came to Rovers he played for Stockport County. They were crap then but I never saw Johnny have a bad game for them.

I can still see him now in my mind’s eye, bow legged and socks rolled down.

Sadly he took his own life in his 50s. RIP Little Johnny Price.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I can still see him now in my mind’s eye, bow legged and socks rolled down.

Sadly he took his own life in his 50s. RIP Little Johnny Price.

On the left wing, we've got Tony Field.

On the right wing Johnny Price.

For a king we've got Ken Furphy.

Now ain't that F**king nice.

• Like 1

The drunk driver Barnes has been charged for referring to us as Bastards in a Sky interview after the recent game. Hopefully they hammer him with a fine and suspension. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ashley-barnes-faces-potential-fa-action-as-fallout-continues-from-burnleys-win-over-rivals-blackburn/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

The drunk driver Barnes has been charged for referring to us as Bastards in a Sky interview after the recent game. Hopefully they hammer him with a fine and suspension. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ashley-barnes-faces-potential-fa-action-as-fallout-continues-from-burnleys-win-over-rivals-blackburn/

Dock the Dingles points, for bringing the game into disrepute.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arbitro said:

17 hours ago, tomphil said:

An interesting lunch time in Blackburn awaits this turd in the early spring.

10 hours ago, rigger said:

Dock the Dingles points, for bringing the game into disrepute.

Now don't pretend you wouldn't have loved it if one of your players had called us Burnley B******s in an interview? Hell you'd have loved it if one of your players had shown half Barnes' passion and aggresion. As for the drunk driving barb, lol, could be worse, he could be beating up police officers and smashing up things in Manchester ...

I found it funny but it was clearly a slip of the tongue that will just add a bit of spice for the return fixture.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Now don't pretend you wouldn't have loved it if one of your players had called us Burnley B******s in an interview? Hell you'd have loved it if one of your players had shown half Barnes' passion and aggresion. As for the drunk driving barb, lol, could be worse, he could be beating up police officers and smashing up things in Manchester ...

I found it funny but it was clearly a slip of the tongue that will just add a bit of spice for the return fixture.

But Barnes is the one that has been caught bringing the game into disrepute. He is a Burnley player and their responsabilty. Dock them points I say. In the eyes of the rule makers it should be a simple decission, but I bet it gets swept under the carpet.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

But Barnes is the one that has been caught bringing the game into disrepute. He is a Burnley player and their responsabilty. Dock them points I say. In the eyes of the rule makers it should be a simple decission, but I bet it gets swept under the table.

😁 I guess you do need to be creative to work out how you will take points off us this season

17 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Dock 'em 10 points, they'll still finish top 

Maybe only second ...

(In all seriousness we could still miss top 6, none of us know how this restart will go - or what will happen in the January window. And now a chance VK leaves for the Belgium job)

Edited by longsiders1882
added the VK line after Belgiuym failed to win
  • Like 1