BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (a) - 15/02/23

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think we can do better than calling people doom mongers (and happy clappers on the other end of the spectrum).

Incidentally, we’ve had two creditable draws, but given our recent form and who our opponents had in their squad, I don’t think it was completely unreasonable to think we’d lose those matches. 
Particularly after our disastrous conclusion to the transfer window.

I think expecting to lose is one of the things which can make a draw a good result

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andy said:

It was a decent point, a very decent point.

As was Watford just before it.

You’d have thought we’d lost 6 in a row, reading some of the comments in here last night.

I thought the thread quietened down when the final whistle went. There were clearly a number of posters ready to jump all over the team / club / manager with a loss who had to keep their powder dry until the next time.

It's a strange atmosphere on here (and at Ewood) at the moment.

• Like 3

The issue isn't the very credible draws Vs tough opposition, the issue is that we fluff the other games that are (on paper) more winnable. 2 draws is great in isolation vs tough opposition. The issue is that when it's surrounded by other draws and losses, it continues a winless run.

Imo we are putting too much pressure on these games due to poor results Vs the likes of Rotherham and Wigan. But then this has been an issue in the past, including in our league 1 promotion season. 

I think the real issues are...

It's a long time since we won a game or even looked like doing.

It's a long long time since we played really well for even three quarters of a game win lose or draw.

We look the same in every game and it isn't gathering any wins.

Weds night it was the same old routine and looked a nailed on 0-1 defeat until a point was snatched by an individual piece of excellence.

...  so despite the  decent effort of two draws on the road all of the above points come together to form the opinions that we haven't seen anything remotely to suggest anything other than a long old grind until May.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I thought the thread quietened down when the final whistle went. There were clearly a number of posters ready to jump all over the team / club / manager with a loss who had to keep their powder dry until the next time.

Certainly a strange atmosphere at Ewood after five years of Teflon Tony.

On here? Exactly the same as it’s been for every manager (all forums are like this)

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Couldn’t agree more.

It genuinely feels like some want us to be worse than we are.

Not a mentality that I can share.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

What’s ‘good’ football? And if we were playing this ‘good’ football, but losing plenty and sitting in the bottom half, wouldn’t JDT be getting even more stick? So not so simple…

I know good football when I see it and I’m not seeing enough of it at the moment. I’ll give you a clue. - it involves the strikers seeing more of the ball than the centre halves.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know good football when I see it and I’m not seeing enough of it at the moment. I’ll give you a clue. - it involves the strikers seeing more of the ball than the centre halves.

Generally speaking, people want to be entertained. 

Winning matches is the best form of entertainment, and the usual way of winning matches is to get the ball in the box and shoot. We do very little of this.

My point is it’s not a case of ‘we are unhappy because we want good football, simple as that’. If we were playing ‘good football’ but sitting 18th, you think BRFCS would be full of the joys with JDT lauded for his ‘entertainment’ and football philosophy? If you say so, TS.

This is professional sport, not the Harlem Globetrotters. Winning football is good football as that’s what has you collecting the 3 points, and that leads to more confidence through the squad, more fans, more money, promotions, better players and better managers.

If there’s someone out there than can get us promoted with this budget and this standard of player whilst playing ‘good football’, then get him in. Otherwise, results, results, results, however they come, especially when the bloke has only had seven months, and in that time has has this middling to lower end budget club up around the top 6 throughout and winning a fair few cup ties.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

*Sigh* Right, I’ll try again. Do I think we are playing Souness 2001 football? Or Dalglish 1992 football? Of course not. Do we have those players or budgets? Also, of course not.

This place is unhappy because it isn’t ‘good football’, so ergo it would be happy if we were sitting 18th, but playing said ‘good football’? Like I said it isn’t ‘simple as that’ at all.

(There you go, debating for adults.)

Edited by Mattyblue

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Charming way to debate.

*Sigh* Right, I’ll try again. Do I think we are playing Souness 2001 football? Or Dalglish 1992 football? Of course not. Do we have those players or budgets? Of course not.

But would this place be happy if we were sitting 18th, but ‘playing good football’? As according to you, this place is unhappy because it’s not ‘good football’, so sitting just outside the play offs doesn’t come into it?

The issue I have with the way we are playing is that it doesn’t suit the skill set ( or lack of ) of the players. We look like a fish riding a bike at times.

• Like 2

I agree, who wouldn’t, but what I would say there seems to be less pissing about with it then there was in November to January time.

The fella needs time. Lower table budget, average players. He’s doing fine for me.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

I think the football is sterile, but a lot of that comes down to not having the players in attack that can play the way he wants. I doubt Gally on the wing would be his choice, which is why he's brought Thomas in. Hedges is hardly effective as an attacker, and BBD has been good for half a season again. Dolan's more of an impact player off the bench for me, and Vale just hasn't reached the standard yet.

JDT needs at least 3 new forwards, probably 4 when BBD leaves. It's encouraging that he's brought in actual winger in to play on the wing. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The issue I have with the way we are playing is that it doesn’t suit the skill set ( or lack of ) of the players. We look like a fish riding a bike at times.

There isn't a way that could suit the skill set of some of our players because over a season they are quite simply shite.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we play more in our opponents half the “ shite “ won’t be as obvious.

If we had the players to play more in our opponents half, we'd be less shite too.

There's no one in midfield who can consistently pass the ball or create chances, no one up front to hold up the ball and there's not enough goals from the forwards.

Some of it is a mentality issue, but that didn't suddenly arrive in Summer 2022. I've been seeing it from some of these players for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, booth said:

If we had the players to play more in our opponents half, we'd be less shite too.

It would be a start though

At the Hawthorns I was tearing my hair out watching our defenders and midfield players passing the ball amongst themselves in our defensive third 

I'd love to know what we're trying to achieve by doing this

We have midfield players who can retain possession and with an eye for a pass, eg Buckley, JRC, Morton, A Wharton, Dack, so why aren't we playing this possession game in the our opponent's defensive third, around the penalty area where, you know, we might just create a chance to score a goal?