BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (a) - 15/02/23

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Dack and Sorba taking off is surely about managing them wisely...booth will start on Saturday.

Taking them off at that point was all about trying to settle in early for the grind for a 0-0

Seen it all before now with this fella, it was too early, upset what balance we had and we conceded not long after.

Brereton has saved his gaffer from a roasting tonight this guy is the Danish version of Appleton.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Again with the Benson stuff.

Tell you what, let’s get in the guy that coached that highly coveted Spanish PL international goalkeeper from 15 to 24.

He also coached that Belgian lad. Looks a top Champ goalkeeper, forget his name.

oh wait.

Is it really because he didn’t play at professional level? We dying for some fat washed up Mark Bosnich type or something?

The turning point in the keeper set up at Rovers under Benson was the arrival of Kaminsky.

Never underestimate how important it is to have someone like that around the other keepers. Much easier also for a coach to work with an experienced guy who knows the ropes.

Rookies working with rookies rarely works out well and Steele we he was just shite.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Taking them off at that point was all about trying to settle in early for the grind for a 0-0

Seen it all before now with this fella, it was too early, upset what balance we had and we conceded not long after.

Brereton has saved his gaffer from a roasting tonight this guy is the Danish version of Appleton.

Wether we won, lost or drawn the game I think JTD did the right thing re Dack... The lad had two horrendous injuries which in a lot of circumstances could have ended his football career. 

Dacks reaction after being taken off shows he loves his football...but I think the management are doing the right thing with him. Kid gloves so to speak and after all said and done he's a valuable asset to rovers. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Wether we won, lost or drawn the game I think JTD did the right thing re Dack... The lad had two horrendous injuries which in a lot of circumstances could have ended his football career. 

Dacks reaction after being taken off shows he loves his football...but I think the management are doing the right thing with him. Kid gloves so to speak and after all said and done he's a valuable asset to rovers. 

I think that's an easy assumption to make but it's not the driving factor behind it at all when he's being taken off with 35 mins to go. Hes been back playing now for a long while and has looked fitter and stronger as time has gone on.

70-75 mins then yes understandable and you'd be doing it whatever the score but for me recently it's been purely a tactical call by JDT.

Not one in agree with.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

‘Play offs? Of course we’ll go for it’.

There you go, so maybe everyone shouldn’t get so worked up then when managers talk their usual platitudes pre match about ‘not looking at the table’, ‘hard to compete’ etc.

The bloke is a winner, he knows we’ve a chance (but of course that shambolic window has narrowed said chance).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think that's an easy assumption to make but it's not the driving factor behind it at all when he's being taken off with 35 mins to go. Hes been back playing now for a long while and has looked fitter and stronger as time has gone on.

70-75 mins then yes understandable and you'd be doing it whatever the score but for me recently it's been purely a tactical call by JDT.

Not one in agree with.

We’ve 8 games this months with the next game in 3 days!

Dack has been our main scorer & JDT knows that. We need him at his fittest for all of those games, so it’s a big risk running him down.

Fans booing need to get a grip and think of the bigger picture. 

• Like 6

Five years of going nowhere in particular with the last fella and you rarely heard a dissenting voice… the new fella? Who’s had us around the top 6 all season and winning a load of cup ties? Cops it most weeks after just five months. 

Strange old phenomenon was Teflon Tony…

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The striking options are awful.  Manager has clearly seen enough of Vale and Gallagher.  

Dolan lits a shift in but doesn't look a threat. 

Only thing that might work in my humble opinion is BBD central with Dack behind and Hedges/Sorba out wide.   

Dolan put a shift in but agreed he’s not a number 9.

Hopefully with Diaz scoring he can kick on for a good end of the season.

11 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

We’ve 8 games this months with the next game in 3 days!

Dack has been our main scorer & JDT knows that. We need him at his fittest for all of those games, so it’s a big risk running him down.

Fans booing need to get a grip and think of the bigger picture. 

And---he wasn't playing well.

• Like 2

Looking over the extended highlights, the one thing that is sticking out to me is how poor Morton is defensively. I don't just mean tackling but the whole package. He manages to gets sucked in towards the ball, fails to track the run or proactively close down space, he ambles around showing no real intent or desire. Without being overly harsh, he looks like he is playing under 8's football where they just all slowly walk to the ball. 

At this point, and after again being at major fault for a conceded goal I can not see any reason for him to start. Simply too much of a defensive liability.

If you watch at 1:02 just for one clear example of all of the points above. In a five second period he manages to lose his man allowing him a free run at the six yard box, get sucked in to the man with the ball, both him and Dack combine to leave the man on the edge of the box completely free, Dack however quickly moves to close down the space whilst Morton just stands there before seemingly flinching away from the shot

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 8

A good point earned without, I thought playing as well as we did at Watford. My main criticism would be that we sat too deep for long periods of the second half. Comparing that to the first half we were several yards further up the pitch and compacted play a lot more. We restricted Swift to very little in the first half but he had far more influence in the second period as he had more space. What I liked last night was how we made the pitch big in the first half as Brereton and Thomas pretty much hugged the touchline. That enabled midfield runners to find space in the gaps. I was disappointed to see Dack and Thomas go off as we lost some momentum going forward. Carter was again the standout player for me and Pears is doing a great job. His kicking, both long and short is far better than Kaminski's.

So now on to two eminently winnable home matches but.............

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The striking options are awful.  Manager has clearly seen enough of Vale and Gallagher.  

Only thing that might work in my humble opinion is BBD central with Dack behind and Hedges/Sorba out wide.   

Pretty damning for Gallagher and Vale that we'd rather start without a striker than use one of those.

We always knew the death of the second half of the season would be down to now signing a striker in January.

We got lucky last night, although I don't think we played too badly overall, our attacking is pretty woeful.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Interesting interview for 2 reasons:

1) He was clearly getting a bit of a dig in when he referenced the 9 games of this calendar year that have been wins or draws. The recent criticism might be getting to him a bit. Never seen him defensive before. 

2) He was a lot more positive about his/the club's desire to reach the play-offs. Obviously he's got the message on that one!

41 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I'd stick with Dolan up top for the majority of the rest of the season, possibly interchanged with Gallagher if he ever finds something closely resembling a big of form.

Dolan doesn't look a threat but he does bring something to the party. His development has been interesting and for me he's really matured as a footballer. He knows when to press and always puts a shift in, whilsy he's so agile that if a defender drops a shoulder he can react quick enough to still steal the ball.

On the ball, he's got a good touch and can twist and turn with his back to goal so the ball actually sticks to him. Get it into his feet and he's actually not bad at linking up our play.

We all went from who's this incredible kid we've stolen from Preston, then a lot (myself included) thought he became a bit of an ineffective step over merchant. His maturing play has gone slightly under the radar. If he can develop more and become a threat with goals and assists he'll be a real asset. He's not the answer to our striking woes right now but considering the alternatives he's the best we have. Credit where its due though and hopefully he can continue to grow as a player. 

• Like 3