BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FAC Q/F v Sheffield United (a) - 19/3/23, 12pm K/O

2 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Don't think this has been emphasised enough but how did Robinson evade a 2nd yellow for his tackle on Hedges?

My only guess for VAR not getting involved is because he slightly touches the ball but it’s still a yellow card tackle 

2 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Don't think this has been emphasised enough but how did Robinson evade a 2nd yellow for his tackle on Hedges?

I thought the referee was abysmal. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I thought this too. Ndiaye and McAtee were their most influential players with Doyle smashing the winner. Two of those are loanees. 

From what I can see it is win or a huge restart this year for Sheffield United. Probably not on the scale Huddersfield have seen but a reliance on loans whilst in an embargo is a risky position to be in.

They have 3 major assets of their own in Amelhodzic, Ndiaye and Berger. Surely 1 or 2 of those would have to be sold. The part that sticks in the throat is that Amedhodzic being sold would see them turn a large profit, when they didn't have the funds to buy him in the first place. Well done EFL. The rules make no sense in that only administration sees a club docked points whereas simply not paying your debts doesn't. It's effectively a loan that if spent wisely is a quick way to either make profit or win the lottery of promotion.

-----

As for us. On the one hand it's very encouraging that one of our lesser players is our only loan. On the other hand, if we'd played the loan market better, either at the start of the season, or in January we'd be in an even stronger position. Add wisely and play the loan market well in the summer and we'll be looking very promising for promotion. Personally I'd love McAtee. He missed some sitters but he was by far the best player on the pitch after Ndiaye yesterday. 

The rules do allow for the deduction of points for the failure to pay transfer fees - of course none of us think the EFL will do this.

4 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

But the ref looks like he's about to book him then changes his mind. Presumably he's  bottled it

Exactly what happened at Ewood when Chris Basham makes his second yellow offence. Ref looks like he’s going to book him then drops his arse

i know it’s annoying when teams do but why aren’t our players making it hard for the ref? Hedges should be looking like he’s hurt. Travis and Co should be in the refs face there, hate to see it but can’t beat em, join em

Edited by Crozzy
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

The rules do allow for the deduction of points for the failure to pay transfer fees - of course none of us think the EFL will do this.

By the time they get round to it Sheff United will have been promoted probably and be solvent again and out of the EFL's jurisdiction.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just seen the Tyler Morton incident before the 3rd goal, he should never play for the club again on the basis of the 1 angle I've just seen. He dropped to the floor and led there motionless, whilst his team mates scrambled to try and stop the attack, leaving time and space middle of the pitch for Doyle to score.

That incident, on the evidence I've just seen, is everything that is wrong with modern day footballers.

He's engrained in the Liverpool way though and if that was for them he'd have instantly got a free kick no questions asked unless they were playing another of the media darlings.

The rot always starts at the top.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

Having calmed down after what was a heartbreaking last ten minutes yesterday, I’ve got to say yesterday was a great game of football. Friends of mine who were neutrals were messaging saying what a great game it was for them. 
I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday, we put in a proper performance, on another day we hold out for the win. It just wasn’t meant to be sadly no matter how much we wanted it. Gallagher OG very unlucky, hedges hitting the post and somehow spinning away just past the other post. Foderingham kick out looked for all the world to go out of play but dropped on the line to Morton who went down. Another day that just falls out of play etc. 

Ref was very frustrating from both sets of fans from what I’ve seen on Twitter. Without VAR we never had a penalty, not one player around appealed or saw it. I think we were lucky and I’ve seen people drawing comparisons with Willians handball last night and they’re night and day apart. Yellow was right for Robinson but sadly like at ewood a couple weeks earlier, the refs bottled a second yellow decision for Sheff Utd. 

Compared to majority of away performances this season I thought we were a completely different team this last 6 weeks. We’ve been brave and took the game to the opponents. The players should be proud on the whole. Easy to slag Morton off, he did very well for Szmodics goal winning the ball and in fairness plenty of people had a chance to stop them after Morton went down, Diaz had a pathetic attempt of a block. One thing I think is we aren’t ruthless enough sometimes to just stop an attack and take a yellow card. Morton’s down, refs not stopping. Just put their player on the ground so we can regroup and stop play yourself before anything can develop!

Players should be proud, they’ve been great and seem to have really clicked lately. Fan should be proud too, it’s a long time since I’ve been in a Rovers atmosphere like that, it was brilliant to be a part of and I just wish we could replicate that noise at Ewood

I agree with your every word.

Excellent summary.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just seen the Tyler Morton incident before the 3rd goal, he should never play for the club again on the basis of the 1 angle I've just seen. He dropped to the floor and led there motionless, whilst his team mates scrambled to try and stop the attack, leaving time and space middle of the pitch for Doyle to score.

That incident, on the evidence I've just seen, is everything that is wrong with modern day footballers.

And to think Shaun Edwards played 75 minutes of a Rugby League Cup Final with a badly damaged eye socket and a fractured cheek bone. Of course we are talking about real men here, although Edwards was about 21 at the time, and not boys.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 47er said:

In today's football "yes a pen". Only a few years ago "no, never". I prefer yesterday--the guy didn't handle it, it hit him. Moreover, it was a harmless mishit from Gallagher which the keeper would have taken with a teaspoon.

The real story of that incident was Gallagher's inability to control the ball and smash a sitter in from about 4 yards.

I don’t agree there matey. Refs have been giving penalties for ball to hand since I was a lad. Were you at the Dingles v Rovers FACup tie back in 1960 ? The ball bounced up off Alex Elder’s boot, hit him on the hand, penalty.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t agree there matey. Refs have been giving penalties for ball to hand since I was a lad. Were you at the Dingles v Rovers FACup tie back in 1960 ? The ball bounced up of Alex Elder’s boot, hit him on the hand, penalty.

Yes I was there and that was hotly contested and regarded as an aberration at the time. I didn't care because we'd been denied a better claim earlier. Foul on Douglas I think.

Happiest day of my life!

57 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

My only guess for VAR not getting involved is because he slightly touches the ball but it’s still a yellow card tackle 

VAR can only give straight reds, not yellows.

• Like 2

Good review of the game in todays “ Guardian “.

” A hymn of limbs and lungs, a game of pure vibes and pure desire. This was an FA Cup quarter final epic to stand the test of time “.  The commentator is very complimentary about Rovers but - “  Tyler Morton - perhaps the outstanding player in a Blackburn shirt “.

Just watched 20 minute highlights reel from Sheffield United. Final thoughts as below:

Played well to a man, fully committed and deserved better.

Without a doubt Robinson should have had a second yellow, even the Sheffield TV made the comment that he was going for card and then changed his mind.

Hedges really unlucky. Diaz should have scored and any player with true striker’s instinct would have been there when Gallagher arrived late and missed it by inches.

Fantastic assist from Gallagher for the goal, perfectly weighted.

Awful, awful defending by Brittain initially and then 3 more, McBurney should never have been allowed that chance.

I think Morton did get a finger in the eye but he should have got the ball out a foot from line or taken the man.

Great game, great following. Unlucky, deserved more.

Fucking hate Sheffield United.

Play like that and we will make play offs

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Just watched 20 minute highlights reel from Sheffield United. Final thoughts as below:

Played well to a man, fully committed and deserved better.

Without a doubt Robinson should have had a second yellow, even the Sheffield TV made the comment that he was going for card and then changed his mind.

Hedges really unlucky. Diaz should have scored and any player with true striker’s instinct would have been there when Gallagher arrived late and missed it by inches.

Fantastic assist from Gallagher for the goal, perfectly weighted.

Awful, awful defending by Brittain initially and then 3 more, McBurney should never have been allowed that chance.

I think Morton did get a finger in the eye but he should have got the ball out a foot from line or taken the man.

Great game, great following. Unlucky, deserved more.

Fucking hate Sheffield United.

Play like that and we will make play offs

They play right on the edge and get away with it. Basham should have been off earlier this month against us.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Some good news:  But the semi-final draw was not kind, pairing Sheffield United with City, a tie for which under the competition’s rules for loan players Doyle and fellow loanee James McAtee will be ineligible.

Heckinbottom has just been on the radio saying that they're going to ask Citeh if they're willing to waive that rule.

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I still can't fathom out how Robinson wasn't given a second yellow card for his challenge on Hedges which was from behind and reckless therefore ticking the boxes for a mandatory caution. This was the same referee who sent Ayala off at Bristol for two yellow cards, rightly in my view) but neither of his two challenges were as bad as Robinsons yesterday. He also sent Garratt off of Coventry which was overturned on appeal and reduced to a yellow (if I remember correctly). The referee clearly has an issue distinguishing between careless, reckless and dangerous challenges and unfortunately we paid the price yesterday for his incompetence and his failure to do his primary role which is enforcing the laws. I believe Rovers should be seeking an explanation using the examples I have quoted. It won't change the result but at least they would be making the referee accountable.

If you’d made that decision, would your ‘superiors’ have pulled you up on it?

I guess I’m asking whether there’s any accountability (even if we don’t get to see it)

Edited by wilsdenrover