BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) 10/4/23 @ 12.30pm

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

To be fair JRC was partly so effective as he had a completely free role, and Carter was asked to cover the entire right side on his own. If we put Brittain in at RB and move JRC into the middle I doubt he could really play the same way. JRC would be expected more to offer a deeper option in midfield.

For what it's worth I'd stick with the same team against Hull but drop BBD for Thomas and start Leonard.  Also I imagine Kaminski will come back in. 

Kaminski

JRC        Carter     Hyam      Pickering

Travis       Morton    Wharton

Thomas    Leonard    Szmodics

Its a big call though to leave both BBD and Gallagher out.

Still think we are going to concede every game at the moment the way we play. Though it is refreshing to see an real attack first philosophy.

I'd leave them out and bring BBD off the bench. I wouldn't even have Gallagher on the bench.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Great come back!

Sadly, a point today might prove not to be enough come the end of the season.

RJC - superb.

Leonard LOOKS a player and unlucky not to net at least one goal.  Nicely built lad, good movement, an eye and a nose for goal and not overawed.

MUST STARTERS for Saturday: Kaminski, Adam Wharton and Leonard.

I do wonder if that point could prove to be crucial. I have this strange feeling that Rovers and Millwall with both need a ppojnt from that final game.

Draw 0-0 would surely then be nailed on.

Attack v Defence all game, superb to come back from 2-0 and a real spirited 2nd half! 
How eager was that ref to end the game, constant time wasting all half and how they only decided it was 5 mins I do not know, score in the 91st and he blows bang on 95…awful ref 

Also a positive how Leonard put himself about and was very unlucky not to score

• Like 3

Really mixed feelings, hard to escape the feeling that a draw isnt enough and with such a hard run in, I am not very confident.

Thought performance wise we were as good as I can remember in quite a while. The change to a midfield 3 gave Wharton a bit more freedom and he was excellent as was Morton who was so much better deep in a 3.

Rankin Costello was phenomenal, talk of moving him IMO is misguided as he offers us such a unique threat from right back. Brereton has got a lot of unfair stick but he was unlucky with a couple of decisions and was a constant threat, the front 3 lacked ruthlessness but you would hate to play against them. Leonard did more today than Vale either does in the league.

The question is what do we do on Saturday. I would be tempted to stick with the same middle 3 and front 3 although there is a temptation to put in either Thomas or Hedges and move Szmodics central behind probably Brereton. I think I would stick with the 3.

I think Kaminski deals with that first better and I hope he comes back in on Saturday, he is a better keeper. The centre backs were shaky again and I would be tempted to put Scott Wharton in v Hull.

My take on the performance.

Loads of positives. It's the most dominant I've seen us in years. We created chances at will. Even though the stats are so weighted in our favour they still don't tell the whole story. The amount of blocks Huddersfield made was phenomenal coupled with some shocking first touches by Diaz and Szmodics when through 1v1.

The 3 in midfield was a revelation. We were fluid, creative and dominant. Wharton is the best natural footballer at the club, though is evident he is no cross country runner. Still, he's a phenomenal player. I'd be playing 3 in the middle for the remainder of the season, and one of those would be JRC. That was a god like second half performance from him and not a minute of it was played from right back. It's evidence enough that he'd be good playing CM in a 3. Wharton - Travis - JRC. 

Another positive was Leonard. I thought he looked natural. Held it up well at times, didn't look shy, unlucky not to score with his snap shot. I was all for throwing him in, but my expectations weren't particularly high. It's a big step up, especially when playing as a striker. Its the hardest position on the pitch. Very promising. 

The negatives. I'm patting myself on the back a bit here, but I've felt the shakyness from Pears since Sheffield United. That was abysmal. He cost us more than any other player on the pitch. Kaminski back next game please. 

Morton was better second half, including a great cross for the second goal. But a little more awareness from him and both Huddersfield goals are prevented. The first he’s flat footed. The second had me screaming. Hyam missed his header from the long ball. Morton is trotting back and ends up in the area Hyam would occupy. Except he stops in no man's land and doesn't cover the space. A lack of very basic footballing intelligence. 

I thought Diaz was also very poor. We all talk about his hypothetical value. If we can recruit smartly in the summer I don't think we'll miss him much 

Hopefully we can use this comeback and new formation to propel us forward. Even though we didn't win I don't think we were bottle jobs. Pears was, but on the whole we were brave, stood up to be counted and should won at a canter. Also the ref was a joke. 7 fouls given against us vs 5 for them. How's that work when we had 81% possession. And it should have been 10+ mins of added time. No control over the game. He's pretty poor at his profession. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Really mixed feelings, hard to escape the feeling that a draw isnt enough and with such a hard run in, I am not very confident.

Thought performance wise we were as good as I can remember in quite a while. The change to a midfield 3 gave Wharton a bit more freedom and he was excellent as was Morton who was so much better deep in a 3.

Rankin Costello was phenomenal, talk of moving him IMO is misguided as he offers us such a unique threat from right back. Brereton has got a lot of unfair stick but he was unlucky with a couple of decisions and was a constant threat, the front 3 lacked ruthlessness but you would hate to play against them. Leonard did more today than Vale either does in the league.

The question is what do we do on Saturday. I would be tempted to stick with the same middle 3 and front 3 although there is a temptation to put in either Thomas or Hedges and move Szmodics central behind probably Brereton. I think I would stick with the 3.

I think Kaminski deals with that first better and I hope he comes back in on Saturday, he is a better keeper. The centre backs were shaky again and I would be tempted to put Scott Wharton in v Hull.

We do seem to perform better when the expectations are lower. I have a felling we may well do better than people think in the remaining games that appear the toughest.

We need a win on Saturday to set us up, but can get something from each of the final 4 in my opinion. 

Coventry may be a tough one, but beating them will put them out of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Problem is Scott Wharton has been poor imo whenever he's played.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I think the bigger picture is what this team will be like next season, which can only be better.  

But will "this team" be together next season? Today's too depressing a day to work through the whole squad but . . . ,

Presumably Brereton Diaz will be playing for Valencia or some other Spanish team. (I can't imagine any Premier League will have tried to Gazump his deal.)

Our 6' 3" centre forward - well, No. 9 - will, hopefully, be playing for some other Championship team or possibly League One team.

And at least, we can be reasonably confident that this season's Liverpool loanee won't be darkening our doors any more.

And, as I posted the other day, if the powers-that-be at Ewood are offered another Liverpool midfielder with his "L" plates tied neatly into place, hopefully there'll be a more robust dialogue than either of those which saw first, Clarkson, then Morton, added to our squad's names.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

People need to look at the bigger picture. To be 2-0 down and to salvage a point tells me this team is fighting. If we lost today our heads would dropped and for me it’s told me the team has given up. 

We’ve got a lot of games against teams around us and if we play like we did in that 2nd half, we will beat anyone…

I agree that the team is still fighting and playing for JDT. 

14 minutes ago, Irish_Rover said:

Could this be the last we see of Gallagher? Big statement by JDT bringing Leonard on in front of him and considering his impact you would think he could/should be pushing for a start the next game.

Its was big call by JDT bringing on Leonard when the easy call was Gallagher. 

JDT has few decisions to make on the formation for the next game, and who he picks whether its Thomas back in or BBD or Dolan drop out and does Leonard start? 

• Like 1

Ah well, been a great day out, some of the football we played today was outstanding, JDT has worked miracles with the current crop in my opinion, imagine what he can do with a full summer to work with this lot.

Just ordered an Uber - £60 to Bburn between 4 of us, door to pub, bargain! 

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its was big call by JDT bringing on Leonard when the easy call was Gallagher. 

JDT has few decisions to make on the formation for the next game, and who he picks whether its Thomas back in or BBD or Dolan drop out and does Leonard start? 

A big call?  An easy decision, a no brainer - think Gallagher is now done and finished with Rovers.

Does Leonard start?  An absolute no brainer - IMO, in 35 minutes showed more than Hirst and Vale ever will and looked 10 times the natural footballer Gallagher isn't.

Leonard is a real talent.  He and Adam Wharton are two gems.  JDT needs to stop p1ssing about and give them their heads. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I would have taken this result at the  beginning of the day. I would certainly have taken this result at half time. Warnock hates us for leaving him at the altar. 

Shame Leonard didn’t poke it a bit harder, it would have been a dream start. He didn’t look out of place. 

if we can start the next game the same way that we played in the second half, with confidence and smooth flowing football then Bobs yer uncle

Sorry, @bigbrandjohn, that leaves you open to the reply that, if we can't start the next game that way, then Fanny's yer aunt!

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A big call?  An easy decision, a no brainer - think Gallagher is now done and finished with Rovers.

Does Leonard start?  An absolute no brainer - IMO, in 35 minutes showed more than Hirst and Vale ever will and looked 10 times the natural footballer Gallagher isn't.

Leonard is a real talent.  He and Adam Wharton are two gems.  JDT needs to stop p1ssing about and give them their heads. 

Like I said Mercer, I think the easy call was Gallagher not Leonard. We have to agree to disagree there. 

Yes, Leonard did impress in his 30 minutes sub appearance. 

It will interesting how we line up for the next game against Hull. 

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I've said it before on here for while, young Leonard is our big hope.  Has personality on the pitch, sadly something Vale is lacking.  I expect him to be a first team.squad regular.

You also called for JDT to be sacked and keep telling us Dolan "Isn't up to it"........

Bonkers.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

6 games left, 4 at home, you'd take that.

Whatever happens in the run-in, it's been a season of progression for me.

The majority of the squad here next season (BBD and possibly Gally apart)

3 or 4 additions and we'll be looking strong 

And Ayala, and Dack…

We won’t beat Coventry, Preston, Burnley, PNE or Millwall. We’ve got statistically the hardest run in, in the league. Needed to beat Birmingham and Huddersfield to have any hope. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

Kevin Gallagher on Radio Lancs describing our second goal saying it wasn’t a great header by JRC! 
What are you bloody talking about Kevin? 

I HATE Kevin Gallacher; can't imagine a commentator/summarizer more up himself than him.

I thought having to listen to him today was my punishment for: not being quick enough to get a ticket for the game; and not realising that there was also commentary on talkSPORT 2!!