BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

The concern would be if there's a release clause, even at £20m+ it's small pennies for most prem clubs. On the other hand, it'll reduce the likelihood of him thinking he should leave for better money now we've presumably increased his wage. One draw back of him playing for Eng is if players at prem clubs are telling him how much more he could be getting elsewhere 

1 hour ago, superniko said:

Just really hoping there isn’t some low buy out clause in the contract like Phillips had (appreciate they’re very different scenarios so I doubt it).

Great news though assuming there is no curve ball like that. If only we had some form of budget the last 12 months to add to the very good pieces we already have

A racing certainty that a release clause is embedded within the contract but I imagine it is at a decent level, at least £15m is my guess.

• Like 1

Big news and shrewd business to get it done when we are able to, before there’s any chance of being short-changed. Credit to GB, tying down important players is important and something we seemed to have no capacity to do previously. Mark Venus has cost us millions.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

A racing certainty that a release clause is embedded within the contract but I imagine it is at a decent level, at least £15m is my guess.

so you think we have gone from a 2027 contract with no release clause to adding a 15m one for a year extra how does that even make sense think about it. It actively goes against the interests of the club I'm not saying no release clause but 15m is way to low.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

so you think we have gone from a 2027 contract with no release clause to adding a 15m one for a year extra how does that even make sense think about it. It actively goes against the interests of the club I'm not saying no release clause but 15m is way to low.

Fair point, we don’t know whether or not a release clause was included in the original contract. I think it is unlikely given that was before he really had a profile and the fact that he is a Blackburn lad and Rovers is his club. I would be amazed if there isn’t a release clause within the new deal but you’re right, I would imagine it probably is well in excess of the £15m level, I bloody hope it is.

10 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Fair point, we don’t know whether or not a release clause was included in the original contract. I think it is unlikely given that was before he really had a profile and the fact that he is a Blackburn lad and Rovers is his club. I would be amazed if there isn’t a release clause within the new deal but you’re right, I would imagine it probably is well in excess of the £15m level, I bloody hope it is.

I'd say since Alex scott went to Bournemouth for 25m we must be looking at least that.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

also that was not a blast at you tbh just the general things on here where if they don't sign deals it's bad we are wrong yet if they do it's because we are selling them that other posters constantly put up.

the constant negativity of some is hard to listen to and take. We are are a trading club atm and everyone does have a price tag so giving ourself safety in contracts is the only way forward. 

also Penworth blue that's not aimed at you.

Edited by Beanie01289
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

I do wonder if he might give us another year after this one, regardless of promotion.

Yeah, hes a 19 year old genuine Rovers fan who has come up through the academy and now a virtual guaranteed starter. 

He wont be in a rush to leave imo to sit on the bench somewhere. He'll have seen what has happened to Armstrong etc, or indeed Phillips.

I would be surprised if he left unless a prem team he was going to were offering a place in the match squad. And I dont think he's yet in a place where any Premier League manager will be thinking hes a player they want on the bench.

More broadly - if there is one thing thats changed in the Prem in the last 10-15 years its that all the centre mids are now absolutely massive units. Even the likes of palace or Bournemouth have huge athletes in midfield who also have a lot of quality on the ball. I do to be honest wonder realistically if Wharton can physically make it.

But.. everyone keeps growing till your 25 so maybe he will keep filling out. Hope so as on the ball hes a special talent.

• Like 1

Broughton stating that we believe him to be the player with the most potential outside the Premier League, so if there is a release clause I’d expect it to reflect that.

Very good thing that we are rewarding our youngsters in a timely manner and in a way that is dictated by their importance to the team rather than some arbitrary parameters around age. It’s a welcome change that will better protect our academy graduates.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Unless the Muppets removed a clause because they need to sell up and will take 7m so they can repay the debts caused by that house they bought 

2 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

also that was not a blast at you tbh just the general things on here where if they don't sign deals it's bad we are wrong yet if they do it's because we are selling them that other posters constantly put up.

the constant negativity of some is hard to listen to and take. We are are a trading club atm and everyone does have a price tag so giving ourself safety in contracts is the only way forward. 

also Penworth blue that's not aimed at you.

Ive not seen much evidence of us being a trading club. At the moment we seem to be a claw back as much money as is possible club.

That being said, the Wharton extra year is clearly good news. He will likely be sold (perhaps next summer) but it gives us slightly more protection for that eventuality in terms of our negotiating position. The question is, when he does go, will a big chunk be reinvested as a trading club would? Probably not.

6 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I presume he has an agent? Who is it, as most decisions lie in the palm of their hands regardless of length of contract. 

The ones who have the final say are the Venkys. They can over-rule, the bidding club , the player, or their agents. 

4 hours ago, alex l said:

One draw back of him playing for Eng is if players at prem clubs are telling him how much more he could be getting elsewhere 

You can’t seriously think that a player like Adam with his agent only gets information about PL wages from his mates in an England junior team?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, only2garners said:

You can’t seriously think that a player like Adam with his agent only gets information about PL wages from his mates in an England junior team?

No of course not. But it's one thing your agent saying club x and y would pay x amount, and another where players from half a dozen or more prem clubs tell you that you could be on however many times more just for being in the development squad at the big clubs. 

1 hour ago, alex l said:

No of course not. But it's one thing your agent saying club x and y would pay x amount, and another where players from half a dozen or more prem clubs tell you that you could be on however many times more just for being in the development squad at the big clubs. 

He’s in the U20s not U21s. I’m sure many will be on more money but very few will be getting the same game time as AW. Also he’s been in the England set up for a while yet has signed two new deals in the last 12  months. If his head was that easily turned, I think it would have happened by now (as it was with Phillips).

• Like 1

Good point re U20s v U21s.

The ‘21s will be full of big time Charlies sitting on fat PL contracts whilst being loaned out to Hull and the like. Easy to see how a player from a non parachute Championship club could have his head turned (not saying AW would).

The U20s has a lot more development players in it.