BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

Much as I’m unhappy about seeing Adam leave, the portrayal of him as some kind of victim, and being forced to leave, is bit of a stretch. He didn’t need to sign for CP and, as has been pointed out, his contract will set him up for life. 

Edited by Giant
  • Like 2

Who says he’s a victim? He’s an adult, a professional and he’s made a decision that as you say has him financially set - good for him.

But was he angling for a move a la Phillips? No, not in the slightest, but the club needed him out the door as the owners can’t meet their financial obligations without regular visits to a foreign court.

• Like 4

You can take the lad out of Blackburn..........

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/february/01/-i-ll-be-cheering-the-lads-on-from-afar----adam/

That for me was an emotional read. I have many things to hate these horrible Indians for but reading that really struck a chord of how they have ruined us culminating in a young local lad leaving because of their gross mismanagement.

Thanks for the pleasure and enjoyment you brought to us all Adam in your all too brief Rovers career.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

There have been many low points over these disgraceful 13 years, but not many have left me as utterly bereft as today.

A local lad, a Rovers fan loving his football, playing with his brother, a talent  to build a side around, or at some point down the road to use his big money sale to strengthen and push us on towards the promised land… Instead, he’s pushed out the door to ease cash flow for a few months due to some billionaires getting embroiled into  god knows what financial shenanigans half way round the world.

I’d say shameful but ‘shame’ is the one emotion this lot are incapable of experiencing.

For the old timers on here - a Ken Knighton moment. When we ran the white flag up the pole.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Giant said:

Much as I’m unhappy about seeing Adam leave, the portrayal of him as some kind of victim, and being forced to leave, is bit of a stretch. He didn’t need to sign for CP and, as has been pointed out, his contract will set him up for life. 

He didn’t need to go, it’s a good move for him and no player in their right mind would turn down a big contract in the Premier League. No-one is saying he’s a victim here.

But he clearly didn’t want to leave and he only left because the club NEEDED to sell him to prop our finances up whilst our cretinous owners are being investigated by foreign courts…what don’t you understand about that?

He’d still be here if we had any kind of ambition to progress. That’s what people are pissed off about. Wake up!

IMG_5666.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

There have been many low points over these disgraceful 13 years, but not many have left me as utterly bereft as today.

A local lad, a Rovers fan loving his football, playing with his brother, a talent  to build a side around, or at some point down the road to use his big money sale to strengthen and push us on towards the promised land… Instead, he’s pushed out the door to ease cash flow for a few months due to some billionaires getting embroiled into  god knows what financial shenanigans half way round the world.

I’d say shameful but ‘shame’ is the one emotion this lot are incapable of experiencing.

Sums it up perfectly. I think under a well-run club having a player of Adam's talent coming through would give you the incentive to spend a bit more money in the transfer market and have a real push at promotion knowing if it didn't work out you've got a £20m player to cash in on as insurance.

Don't think I've been as gutted at a player leaving since Phil Jones, or going further back to when Duff left. At least those two left to clubs who were challenging for trophies at the time. We've just sold our best talent in a generation to Crystal Palace, Crystal-bloomin'-Palace! let that sink in.  I really don't think this is what Uncle Jack had in mind when he built the academy.

Wish the lad all the best, got the talent and raw ability to go far but as we all know the career trajectory of a footballer is often a difficult thing to predict. 

• Like 3

The club are not building for anything.  They're just flogging what they can so those cnuts in India don't have to put their hands in their own pockets. I've never despised a set of people more than the venkys 

• Like 3

Adam leaves with great dignity. 

What an interview that is and I teared up never mind Adam's visible emotions.

Worth pointing out that not only were the current ownership limited in their spending in previous years by FFP (we will never know if they would have spent more in seasons past) but Rovers have been crippled by FFP in the PL. Both Everton and Newcastle would have scrapped it out for Adam's signature had both of them not been at the limit or over of what they do in the market this January.

So waiting for a big club could have been a wait in vain.

I just hope the emotional wrangler we all got put through on Wednesday night produced a sell on clause because Palace are not the most obvious candidates to give Adam Champions League football..

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more I think CP is a very shrewd move for Adam. They’ve got a brilliant recent record of trusting young players in the X1 and giving them a platform to be expressive. The move also attracts much less scrutiny and pressure than say moving to a Newcastle, admittedly different fees but Gordon had a torrid time in the media following his move. Adam won’t suffer that I don’t expect, he can go about his business and continue to develop while testing himself in one of the toughest/best leagues in the world.  

I think the fee is maybe 5ml short of what I’d hoped/expected (25ml +) but then we’ve obviously found ourselves in a position where we’re begging from Peter to pay Paul 

56 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Gordon’s had a great impact up there.

I didn’t say he hasn’t, what I said was the media scrutiny was very intense. Gordon no doubt had experienced that  at Everton so was somewhat prepared for it. Adam hasn’t experienced intense scrutiny From the wider media thus far. He’s flown under the radar in the wider football world of casual and lad bible readers, and I think the move to CP allows him to continue to do so. 

If Palace are concerned about relegation (altough a points deduction for Forest should keep them up) I would say Wharton was not a player likely to shore them up particularly away from home.

• Like 2

• Backroom

The step up from the Championship to the PL is pretty huge. Was a bit unfair to chuck Wharton in today imo, and Hodgson paid for that mistake. As an experienced manager he should know better. One look at our squad would tell you Adam hasn't exactly been spending his time training with top tier talent. 

• Like 2