BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Mike Graham said:

It is 15% on any profit.  It may also mean (this is guesswork) that the remaining £12m is paid to Rovers.

In my opinion selling AW was the low point of last season.

I couldn't agree more Mike.

He was sold because of downright incompetence at the highest levels of the club, a once in a generation talent, a Blackburn lad and the owners and CEO couldn't care less.

Nothing improves until we get rid of these rotten owners and the 3rd rate people they employ. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Obviously. But we should have got a lot more than we sold him for. 

Probably a little more, but there's a cap on a player in the Championship with no Premier League experience.

Not to defend our owners, Waggot, and anyone else involved in this decision making, but if he were to be sold to Bayern (or a similar club) this summer for 60ish million then it would actually end up looking like we go fair market value for him. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The figure we got was a piss take. Should’ve gone for £25million (with add ons) and a sizeable sell on, of course.

Don’t see why not considering another 20 year old was sold for that in this division - and he’s no Adam Wharton.

He didn’t and we all know why. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

£60m. -  I hope there's a huge sell on 

I was told the total fee is capped at 22M. Whether the additional 4M comes from individual success, club successes, international achievement or sell on fee doesn’t really matter. 

1 hour ago, Mike Graham said:

It is 15% on any profit.  It may also mean (this is guesswork) that the remaining £12m is paid to Rovers.

In my opinion selling AW was the low point of last season.

Not sure it’s quite as simple as that, Mike

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

We sold him on the cheap to pay the bills. The end. 

Absolutely agree. The “figure” that needed  to be hit conveniently is the figure needed to tick us over whilst Venkys legal case is ongoing. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Obviously. But we should have got a lot more than we sold him for. 

I think a club with better negotiators and/or in a better financial position would have got closer to £30 million including add ons (plus a better sell on percentage)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m like a proud dad whenever I hear he’s done well or watched Palace’s highlights.

On the other hand it pisses me off so much that he didn’t get to see the season out with us before moving for 25m+. As Szmodics said in his recent interview, ‘he didn’t want to go’. 

Palace will be laughing all the way to the bank; I know a host of other clubs were/are hindered by FFP but I’m still stunned it was pretty much just them in if for him. He’s generational.

Edited by G Somerset Rover
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 47er said:

We've had him since he was 6! They could make more than us after 6 months!!  

Puts you off the game.

Its rotten.

It’s not the game. It’s our directors 

Blues got £25m for Jude Bellingham riding to £35m after a triple digit transfer. That is low when you consider where he is now. They had crap owners as well 

8 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I think a club with better negotiators and/or in a better financial position would have got closer to £30 million including add ons (plus a better sell on percentage)

I agree that should be the price but are clubs really paying that when he hadn't even had a call up to the England under 21s?

I obviously think it's a joke he hasn't had a call up but Scott from Bournemouth when sold had had caps at under 21 level, had more games under his belt and goals and assists.

I obviously think Wharton is a superior player to Scott as thus far proven but I also believe Wharton wouldn't have been in the last under 21 squad if he still played for us 

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It’s not the game. It’s our directors 

Blues got £25m for Jude Bellingham riding to £35m after a triple digit transfer. That is low when you consider where he is now. They had crap owners as well 

I think it’s a bit of both.

Yes we should him for less than we should have but I don’t think any player’s value should more than double after just three months in a higher division.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I agree that should be the price but are clubs really paying that when he hadn't even had a call up to the England under 21s?

I obviously think it's a joke he hasn't had a call up but Scott from Bournemouth when sold had had caps at under 21 level, had more games under his belt and goals and assists.

I obviously think Wharton is a superior player to Scott as thus far proven but I also believe Wharton wouldn't have been in the last under 21 squad if he still played for us 

If our financial position allowed us to ‘hold out’ for that sum then either (a) someone would have paid it or (b) he’d still be our player.

It’s the shocking financial management of our club which means that win-win scenario wasn’t available to us.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

If our financial position allowed us to ‘hold out’ for that sum then either (a) someone would have paid it or (b) he’d still be our player.

It’s the shocking financial management of our club which means that win-win scenario wasn’t available to us.

Although I don't think Wharton would have thrown his toys out of the pram I do believe he wanted the move to palace in January, once it became more apparent playoffs wouldnt be a consideration this season.Both him and Szmodic signed their new deals when we were a couple of points outside top 6.

What Broughton said is right if you just keep turning down bids and don't let players out the next time you want a talent to sign a long term deal the answer will be no .

We were a team in free fall regardless if Wharton stayed in January,yeah we could have got a few million more I'd say a maximum of £25 million no team was coming in with 30 million without him being tested In the top tier 

Dortmund took a gamble on Bellingham and it paid off. But they paid Birmingham what he was worth at the time and he could easily have been a flop. Wharton is the same; he's started well  but there's no guarantee he will be worth tens of millions. Rovers got a good price for him and it was the maximum anyone was willing to pay. The real scandal is that the money has / will not be reinvested in new players

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Although I don't think Wharton would have thrown his toys out of the pram I do believe he wanted the move to palace in January, once it became more apparent playoffs wouldnt be a consideration this season.Both him and Szmodic signed their new deals when we were a couple of points outside top 6.

What Broughton said is right if you just keep turning down bids and don't let players out the next time you want a talent to sign a long term deal the answer will be no .

We were a team in free fall regardless if Wharton stayed in January,yeah we could have got a few million more I'd say a maximum of £25 million no team was coming in with 30 million without him being tested In the top tier 

Are you including add ons in your £25 million?

If not, I think mine and your figures are actually very similar.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Dortmund took a gamble on Bellingham and it paid off. But they paid Birmingham what he was worth at the time and he could easily have been a flop. Wharton is the same; he's started well  but there's no guarantee he will be worth tens of millions. Rovers got a good price for him and it was the maximum anyone was willing to pay. The real scandal is that the money has / will not be reinvested in new players

It was the maximum anyone was willing to pay in what is always a notoriously quiet January window. I firmly believe we would have had more interest and a higher fee in the summer.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, G Somerset Rover said:

As Szmodics said in his recent interview, ‘he didn’t want to go’. 

That stuck out to me in the Szmodics interview, although it’s not really been mentioned on here as there was so much to discuss from what Sammie said.

He confirmed Wharton “didn’t want to go”, which shoots down  people on here who claimed he did and that he was pushing for the move to go through.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, 47er said:

We couldn't get more because we were desperate to sell him then--immediately because, thanks to our owners, we had bills we couldn't pay.

How pathetic is that? A real jewel, when will we see another like him? Tragic, not business as usual.

First Philips, then Wharton--what is the point?

we couldn't get more as I explained cos the lack of PL clubs being allow to spend due to their PL FFP rules. Yes we might have got more in the summer but depends who would be available 

4 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

We sold him on the cheap to pay the bills. The end. 

and to think some on this board thought we wouldn't get the fee we did for Wharton

4 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

15% is the final insult! So another £6m ish on top of the original £18. That’s £24m received for a player apparently worth £60m a mere 6 months after we sold him

depends what they sell him for. It could more if more bigger clubs can spend money. Its £18m plus £4.5m then any sell on fee so it could be £30m plus 

4 hours ago, rigger said:

But if Adam Wharton had stayed at the Rovers, he would not have been getting bids of £60 million.

I agree here, no way would any PL club or European club pay that sort of fee for championship player. His stock has risen cos of his good PL performances and showing his talent and quality against PL teams

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Nobody expected £60million, bloody hell.

But the price we did get was shite, as proven by Bristol City - but as to be expected when the seller is desperate.

The price we will finally get will be move than Alex Scott 

3 hours ago, 47er said:

We've had him since he was 6! They could make more than us after 6 months!!  

Puts you off the game.

Its rotten.

They're getting all the plaudits for his performances too - it's sickening. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hasta said:

That stuck out to me in the Szmodics interview, although it’s not really been mentioned on here as there was so much to discuss from what Sammie said.

He confirmed Wharton “didn’t want to go”, which shoots down  people on here who claimed he did and that he was pushing for the move to go through.

From the bloke who knows his dad: "He wanted to go to a European (competition) club, but was in no rush to get there".