BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Still not convinced you could cock up TWO incoming deals  in two completely different ways accidentally whilst overseeing an outgoing deal perfectly.

Hanlon's Razor is an adage or rule of thumb that states, "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by incompetence ."

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

1000%.

We had 4 years of that type of guff off Mowbray, then a new face comes in and starts espousing the same sort of nonsense and people fall for it all over again.

Wake up sheeple.

Heading for four points out of twenty four. Remind me why Leeds (or any Premier League Club would want our manager again?

Are you for real ? Not as if jdt has a strong squad is it ? Mowbray left this team a mess 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yes if people want to talk miracle workers then look at them and Millwall.

Unreal what Luton have done and it isn't built on the back of anything complicated and whilst we huffed and puffed yesterday they looked like they were in 2nd gear.

Luton have been steadily progressing for years and crucially they kept hold of their top goalscorer, then added Morris who has been excellent for them, and was a decent striker for Barnsley. I think they signed him for something like £1.8m.

Rowett has been with Millwall for a few years. They've also got two good goalscorers, and one of them was signed last Summer.

Both clubs invested in goals last Summer and we didn't so it's no surprise both are above us.

I'd hazard a guess that both clubs have a competent CEO and recruitment teams.

Edit: looking up how much Millwall paid for Flemming. £1.7m. So Millwall spent that and Luton paid not much more. I wonder how much we wasted on the pointless loans of Mola, Hirst and the legal fees for O'Brien. And besides that, if we'd sold Brereton we could have easily signed players like this the above, that would have made a difference.

Edited by booth
  • Like 6

With Luton it's not just the recruitment, it's the organisation and ethos behind the team - their pragmatism, not giving much away, not playing pretty passing but effective football, and have a manager (and the previous one who went to Soton) who can spot a team's weakness and who don't give anything away

I hate writing this about what is really another small rubbish southern club

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We spent far more than that last summer alone didn't we?

I just looked at the total figures they had, but having looked again they’ve no fee down for Brittain or Szmodics

I’ve added to my post that, from memory, our salaries (all staff) were 35% higher than Luton’s (each club’s last set of accounts)

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We already have a cheap  £200k ish squad player in Hedges. 

Neither he nor Thomas are good enough imo unless we haven't seen anything like the best of Thomas due to him not being match fit.

Hedges is fine as a squad player. The problem arises when he's a nailed on starter because you have noone else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

The table is ultimately how a season is judged.

But I don’t attend games and you do so what improvements have you seen vs last season?

a team playing to specific tactics and style of play, better passing and movement, 

16 minutes ago, booth said:

Luton have been steadily progressing for years and crucially they kept hold of their top goalscorer, then added Morris who has been excellent for them, and was a decent striker for Barnsley. I think they signed him for something like £1.8m.

Rowett has been with Millwall for a few years. They've also got two good goalscorers, and one of them was signed last Summer.

Both clubs invested in goals last Summer and we didn't so it's no surprise both are above us.

Edit: looking up how much Millwall paid for Flemming. £1.7m. So Millwall spent that and Luton paid not much more. I wonder how much we wasted on the pointless loans of Mola, Hirst and the legal fees for O'Brien. And besides that, if we'd sold Brereton we could have easily signed players like this the above, that would have made a difference.

Totally agree. And with Jim's post below it. There is a tendency to talk down the achievement of "smaller" clubs but, ultimately, they are usually very well run, make shrewd decisions on players, have a robust tactical approach, and play to their strengths. This Rovers team and club (and during the last 10-15 years) do little, if any, of this.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RTM08 said:

Yep, contrast that with:

Burnley Home and Away,
Preston Home and Away
Rotherham Away
Reading Away
Luton Away

We have been absolutely shocking at times this season. 

I don't think we were shocking against Burnley at home, or Preston away.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Hedges is fine as a squad player. The problem arises when he's a nailed on starter because you have noone else.

Have to disagree. He's not good enough end of.

You can't have a first eleven that's upto the job then a supporting cast that's simply isn't up to it.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I’m with you. Yes, he’s made mistakes but on balance, and swimming against the tide, he’s performed minor miracles. Been let down by the bureaucrats since day 1, the players when push came to shove, poor officiating and a more than healthy dose of rotten luck. 

Exactly l, people have Mowbray years and he had strong teams especially last season. Jdt deserves another season, he’d still learning the game over here too, we are a new fjrward line from being a serious top 6 contender it’s harsh to judge otherwise sigh the limited resources 

Hedges has about one good game in 5 - played well in the 2nd half against Preston (albeit his mess-up led to the late equaliser), gets a start last night and had a shocker.  His finishing is poor too - he missed another sitter at Leicester. Squad player at best. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, booth said:

That's why i mentioned in another thread it needn't take millions to back JDT it just needs focus on the front line.

Maybe the fact BBD and Dack will probably be gone gives then no option but to now force the issue of finally rebuilding the forward positions. Players ARE out there as the ones you mentioned prove and the capture of Hyam proved although i think we'd been tracking him a while.

For what it's worth Mowbray spend 15 million on building a championship front line in Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton with Dack already here permanent.  Crazy really when you think about it and the only real success in that lot was Armstrong who the loose change from his sale has now been spent.

Now it needs a complete rebuild with nothing which is going to be interesting to say the least.

Edited by tomphil

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

For what it's worth Mowbray spend 15 million on building a championship front line in Armstrong,

Armstrong is going to be back in the Championship next season with Soton, he won't get a move to another PL club and Saints will probably looking to let him go as he's hardly set the world on fire there and restructure and rebuild after relegation - who wouldn't be averse to him coming back to Ewood? 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He doesn’t work hard enough for me. The days of wingers standing out on the touchline waiting for a team mate to pass them the ball are over. They need to be much more involved on and off the ball.

You should tell Diaz that.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Still not convinced you could cock up TWO incoming deals  in two completely different ways accidentally whilst overseeing an outgoing deal perfectly.

When the main target, a striker, has been missed by the abject failure of GB to sign one over a full transfer window despite claiming to have 25  + under review was an expensive short term loan midfielder really needed when we knew that there was still no one to put the round thing in the onion bag on a regular basis.

It's not as if we were short of midfielders and we had magical Morton.

We still don't know what went on in those 60+ minutes of inactivity late on DD and no full explanation as promised by GB and no heads have rolled.

The Rochdale lad just collateral damage.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

With Luton it's not just the recruitment, it's the organisation and ethos behind the team - their pragmatism, not giving much away, not playing pretty passing but effective football, and have a manager (and the previous one who went to Soton) who can spot a team's weakness and who don't give anything away

I hate writing this about what is really another small rubbish southern club

Why do with 3 passes in passages of play when you can do it with 6 seems to be Rovers current way in the final third and its been a hinderence.

Luton yesterday plonked a big lad up top second half to occupy our lads because he was the outlet when we were pressing.  

Really simple but effective stuff.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Armstrong is going to be back in the Championship next season with Soton, he won't get a move to another PL club and Saints will probably looking to let him go as he's hardly set the world on fire there and restructure and rebuild after relegation - who wouldn't be averse to him coming back to Ewood? 

Unlike BBD he can also operate as winger/wide forward and up the middle and be effective with his pace.

More importantly the lad shoots !

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Won't be able to afford Arma, he'll be on big wages now (even with a relegation clause) and he's more valuable than ever to Southampton now.

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's why i mentioned in another thread it needn't take millions to back JDT it just needs focus on the front line.

Maybe the fact BBD and Dack will probably be gone gives then no option but to now force the issue of finally rebuilding the forward positions. Players ARE out there as the ones you mentioned prove and the capture of Hyam proved although i think we'd been tracking him a while.

For what it's worth Mowbray spend 15 million on building a championship front line in Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton with Dack already here permanent.  Crazy really when you think about it and the only real success in that lot was Armstrong who the loose change from his sale has now been spent.

Now it needs a complete rebuild with nothing which is going to be interesting to say the least.

We will end up with a non - scoring striker on a permanent deal and an undercooked Liverpool kid on loan.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

When the main target, a striker, has been missed by the abject failure of GB to sign one over a full transfer window despite claiming to have 25  + under review was an expensive short term loan midfielder really needed when we knew that their was still no one to put the round thing in the onion bag on a regular basis.

It's not as if we were short of midfielders and we had magical Morton.

We still don't know what went on in those 60+ minutes of inactivity late on DD and no full explanation as promised by GB and no heads have rolled.

The Rochdale lad just collateral damage.

Nail and head, bravo.

• Like 1