BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People complained season after season that we wait too long to find out what our budget so next season we already know what the budget and hopefully can get our transfer business done early this summer or vast majority of it. 

very few quality free transfers available the January window closes

I think he is actually old fashion winger who need people in the boxes and if we had the quality striker like Undav from January onwards then I think you would have seen Thomas have more of an impact 

Would you sign Thomas this Summer ? I wouldn’t.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't be against it if we brought in a Gestede style forward. Him out wide with nobody to aim for makes him a pointless signing.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How can you proclaim this as a season of improvement when at best we will match last seasons points tally? Throw all the intangibles and buzzwords you want at me, we haven't improved on results and points.

I think we have improve on last season and I just based that on the same things as you but what I see watching every game not just basing it stats

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would understand this project and building for a better next season narrative more if we had been mid table and things had started to build more in recent weeks. But quite the opposite. We haven't won in 8 or 9 games, we have regressed! 

I don't think we have regressed this season and now we need to make the right signings this summer and I would like them done early part of the summer 

• Like 1

Points wise we obviously haven’t improved and it’s a results business. 

But of course should a manager in year one in English football be judged on exactly the same parameters as a bloke in year 5 at the same club?

So going forward is the team/club in a better position overall than it was 12 months ago? Is it now primed to move forward? I think that is debatable and will only come clear when we see who comes and goes over the summer, manager included.

• Like 7

Don’t understand the stick jdt gets , look at what he’s working with ? He’s performed miracles with a limited squad, the front three he’s got to pick from aren't good enough, hedges and Dolan are not starting quality and are only decent impact subs, brereton uninterested so who have we got to replace him with ? Kids and a loanee not good enough, defence is doing a great job, midfield three currently are decent, it’s the attack that’s letting us down cause we can’t score goals. 

Serious recruitment needs to be done this summer to give jdt the tools to take us to the next level that’s actually a solid top 6 rather than midtable like we have now, can’t believe people are trying to blame jdt knowing the little he’s had to work with yet the results all in all he’s had especially developing academy players, can’t see many other managers coming into a depleted squad on bare bones with few experienced players  and managing to do so well, even considering an apparent key player has thrown in the towel since December and stop he’s got no reliable replacement, plus we are playing good football we just need that extra quality especially up front to really make it tick 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Didn't Bowyer do so as well on one occasion? I seem to remember us beating someone at home in a high scoring game (it might have been Wigan or Ipswich) but we needed other results to go in our favour which of course they didn't.

We went into the last game against Wigan needing two other results to go in our favour and a 7 goal swing to put us into it. It was never really on.

7 minutes ago, cesus said:

I wouldn't be against it if we brought in a Gestede style forward. Him out wide with nobody to aim for makes him a pointless signing.

He doesn’t work hard enough for me. The days of wingers standing out on the touchline waiting for a team mate to pass them the ball are over. They need to be much more involved on and off the ball.

24 minutes ago, booth said:

Travis shouldn't be captain as he shouldn't be first choice on the pitch. I'd keep him as back up to a better midfielder and you never know it may prompt him to work on his game and improve. He makes so many mistakes every game and struggles to keep up.

I like Travis and I would keep him and Hyam as our 2 captains If he performs well and he starts. All down to performances and form for me

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I would if you are going to play to his strengths and sign a strikers that suit his game

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But of course should a manager in year one in English football be judged on exactly the same parameters as a bloke in year 5 at the same club?

So going forward is the team/club in a better position overall than it was 12 months ago? Is it now primed to move forward? I think that is debatable and will only come clear when we see who comes and goes over the summer, manager included.

That's the nub of it to me.

We have two thirds of a decent side. What they do in summer will tell us everything about the 'project'.

• Like 2

If we were a well run, properly organised, stable club, I think this season could be used as a platform for improvement next season and beyond.

Unfortunately, we don’t tick any of the above boxes, and at best I think  we will tread water next season.

Will the head coach stay and will whoever is head coach receive adequate  backing in the transfer market?

The answer to at least one of those questions is likely to be, “no”.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I think like Brereton, Tomasson's already gone. A section of the fans don't like him, he wasn't backed when in a good league position, he now knows that the important staff behind the scenes aren't fit for purpose, and it's not as if he's inherited the greatest squad in the first place. He'll know he's gone as far as he can with them, and without backing what's the point? Staying here is only going to reflect badly on himself, as it is now.

We needed to keep Tomasson and build on this season by replacing the weak links with a view to automatic promotion. However I fear that he'll be replaced by someone who will agree to every ludicrous decision that's made, with little money spent and any rough diamonds going to pastures new to balance the books.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Indeed, plus the club won’t get much flack if he does go as he isn’t as remotely popular with fans as TM from what I can see on a match day.

They'll get flak when those same fans come to their senses.

It'll be a disaster bringing in a bottom of the barrel manager with this squad and no f*cks given from the top to make it any better, just as it was in 2016.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Can we improve this side when we are apparently going shopping in Poundstretcher with a begging bowl?

Surely that situation cant be exceptable to JDT if he is ambitious.

Could be hard times next season,we are being strangled to death by the Pune Goons.

With our DOF and recruitment team, we will be in Poundstretcher with a blindfold on.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Depends how much he cost and whether we brought in a striker (or 2) to get on the end of his crosses.

His all-round game isn't great though---I wouldn't sign him. Oh for a winger who can beat his man and then get a good cross in!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well we are in with a chance of reaching the play-offs with only one game to go. How many expected that at the start of the season? That is progress surely?

• Like 3

Plenty to be annoyed about for our run-in...

But I'm just going to sit back and be thankful that we have something to play for on the last day of the season 🙂

(Aside from the agony of the game itself, I was feeling a pang of embarrassment having just before the game convinced a neutral friend to join me at the Den on Monday, advertising it as a game that will 'matter' haha...)

Points wise. And we could well finish lower in the table. 

End of the day we finish 6th then of course it’s an improvement. 8th/9th on the same points as last season, obviously it isn’t, very fine margins in such a tight league - but there are caveats; JDTs first season etc.

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

But he isn’t very good 

Thomas is about the only player who puts a cross in. Unfortunately, we have no strikers to get on the end of them.

That being said, this loan was supposedly quite pricey, and I expected more from him by now. He hasn't been a regular, but he's been largely ineffective.

I find him a bit irksome when he does that look of disbelief / hands over mouth / turn slowly 360 degrees in disbelief. He loses the ball, does the aforementioned, and seems to give up on tracking back. He seems to be more interested in how he looks than anything else. Roll back thirty years, or so, and you'd certainly hear a shouting or two of "GET ON WITH IT YOU TART!".

A poor loan signing. Unless he bags a winner or assist that gets us into the play-offs on Monday and then gets a few goals in the following three games!

15 minutes ago, booth said:

They'll get flak when those same fans come to their senses.

It'll be a disaster bringing in a bottom of the barrel manager with this squad and no f*cks given from the top to make it any better, just as it was in 2016.

Flak from who? The 6k rump of ST holders next season?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Don’t understand the stick jdt gets , look at what he’s working with ? He’s performed miracles with a limited squad, the front three he’s got to pick from aren't good enough, hedges and Dolan are not starting quality and are only decent impact subs, brereton uninterested so who have we got to replace him with ? Kids and a loanee not good enough, defence is doing a great job, midfield three currently are decent, it’s the attack that’s letting us down cause we can’t score goals. 

Serious recruitment needs to be done this summer to give jdt the tools to take us to the next level that’s actually a solid top 6 rather than midtable like we have now, can’t believe people are trying to blame jdt knowing the little he’s had to work with yet the results all in all he’s had especially developing academy players, can’t see many other managers coming into a depleted squad on bare bones with few experienced players  and managing to do so well, even considering an apparent key player has thrown in the towel since December and stop he’s got no reliable replacement, plus we are playing good football we just need that extra quality especially up front to really make it tick 

I’m with you. Yes, he’s made mistakes but on balance, and swimming against the tide, he’s performed minor miracles. Been let down by the bureaucrats since day 1, the players when push came to shove, poor officiating and a more than healthy dose of rotten luck. 

• Like 8